EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   time to fully enclose my bike (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/time-fully-enclose-my-bike-23987.html)

bschloop 11-14-2012 02:50 PM

time to fully enclose my bike

This decision was pretty much made for me. I was working on smoothing out my current fairing so that it could be made into something a little more proffesional looking, when two things happened. the tail section got dropped, and subsequently the paint I had been using to seal up the plaster began peeling off, and the plaster also started flaking off. I have since realized that it would be futile to attempt to fix my current tail without peeling off all the plaster and starting over with something better, so...

The new plan is to make an entirely new plug out of styrofoam, incorporating some features that wouldn't work on the old fairing. I will be using the technique I used to make the fiberglass parts of the old fairing. A styrofoam plug covered in aluminum foil for a mold release. this time I hope to make the fairing 24" wide which should be wide enough to fully enclose the bike and rider. I also hope to convert the bike to 100% fan cooled. this should eliminate the need for cooling ducts and scoops. thirdly I am looking into lowering the seat as far as possible and going feet forward if at all possible.
I figured this should probably get it's own thread, since it's a completely new project.

nbleak21 11-14-2012 03:20 PM

Looking forward to it!!!

MetroMPG 11-14-2012 05:46 PM

Subscribed.

Michael Moore 11-14-2012 09:45 PM

Instead of aluminum foil consider using kitchen cling wrap. But lots of people seem to get by with more conventional mold release compounds like wax followed by PVA.

If you want a step by step by step by step (ad infinitum) primer on making composite motorcycle bodywork take a look at

SV Carbon Tank project for Zoran - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Very detailed discussion, lots of photos, well worth reading/bookmarking.

cheers,
Michael

bschloop 11-14-2012 11:00 PM

I have tried cling wrap, and don't feel it does as well as foil. I could also use wax and pva, but I'm cheap. I can do with $5 worth of foil what would require at least $25 worth of wax and pva. more tomorrow.

bschloop 11-19-2012 11:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
although It is taking longer than I want, the plug for the right side is coming along nicely. here are a couple of pics. good thing I have all winter to get it done.:turtle:

3-Wheeler 11-19-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bschloop (Post 339998)
I have tried cling wrap, and don't feel it does as well as foil. I could also use wax and pva, but I'm cheap. I can do with $5 worth of foil what would require at least $25 worth of wax and pva. more tomorrow.

I have to 100% agree with Michael on the Glad Wrap for a good mold release.

For me the aluminum foil sticks to the composite and does not want to come back off easily.

The Glad Wrap is a life saver when I need to cover the layup and not have it stick. It also works on soft corners, and it stretches easily too.

Jim.

sendler 11-19-2012 03:53 PM

How much is fully enclosed?

bschloop 11-19-2012 04:32 PM

I am hoping it will work full sides, open top but with only the top of my head sticking up. I don't have plans to put a lid on top, at least not yet.

bschloop 11-19-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

I have to 100% agree with Michael on the Glad Wrap for a good mold release.
I agree that plastic wrap releases the composite better, but how do you get the Glad wrap to stick to the foam? When I tried to, it didn't want to stay put while I was placing the next piece. for the foil I just spray a small amount of general purpose spray adhesive on the foil then place it over the plug.

Quote:

For me the aluminum foil sticks to the composite and does not want to come back off easily.
I don't mind too much if the foil doesn't all come off, since it's on the inside where no one will see it.