EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Tips: corridor effect question (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tips-corridor-effect-question-2551.html)

joycebgood 05-25-2008 07:51 PM

Tips: corridor effect question

I tried going 55 on the Mass Pike a few weeks ago. I loved it. It was relaxing and I'm hearing it will increase mileage. But there was no ability to experience the "corridor effect" because people were passing me as though I was crawling. There was no one else going 55. Thoughts anyone?

njlou 05-25-2008 08:11 PM

to joycebgood:
Like so many addictions/habits they die hard. "Everyone" has become a fast driver. They all have to get somewhere to do nothing, or drink some beer.
It has been a craziness for too many years. I dont think that high gas prices will turn them around. FYI the latest thing that I have noticed is that the hybrids (drivers) are speeding/driving like crazy. I guess that they think if they get good mileage they can speed.

SVOboy 05-25-2008 08:13 PM

First of all, welcome to ecomodder!

It's hard to say whether the slow down or the corridor effect will improve mileage the most, but if you have a 96+ car I would say to get a scangauge and see for yourself! :)

Lazarus 05-25-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njlou (Post 28405)
to joycebgood:
Like so many addictions/habits they die hard. "Everyone" has become a fast driver. They all have to get somewhere to do nothing, or drink some beer.
It has been a craziness for too many years. I dont think that high gas prices will turn them around. FYI the latest thing that I have noticed is that the hybrids (drivers) are speeding/driving like crazy. I guess that they think if they get good mileage they can speed.

I think these same hybrid drivers were speeders before they got there hybrids:p

Lazarus 05-25-2008 08:15 PM

Slowing down will more than make up for the corridor effect. Even though they are blowing by you you still would get a little help especialy if it's a stream of traffic.

trikkonceptz 05-25-2008 10:45 PM

Now is it true that you can benefit from someone drafting you? Or in our cases tailgating you .. LOL

JohnnyGrey 05-26-2008 01:00 AM

Quote:

Now is it true that you can benefit from someone drafting you? Or in our cases tailgating you .. LOL
I would say no. Also, you have to be extremely close to a very large vehicle to take advantage of drafting. It may increase your FE, but it's very dangerous. Aside from eating all the crap a semi flings up off the road surface (goodbye windshield), you can't see hazards as you approach them. What would happen if the trailer were to suddenly shed a tire?

I'd recommend the 4 second rule as taught in driver's ed. Even as ecomodders, safety should come before economy.

LostCause 05-26-2008 03:25 AM

Theoretically, two blunt objects sitting tandem in a flow will each see a decrease in drag. The rear object will see a much larger decrease, but the one in front will also see an improvement. It is most likely too negligable to see in real life (nor is it advisable).

Speaking from intuition, I doubt the corridor effect has any major effect on vehicle drag. I could only imagine it being useful in tunnels or maybe alongside massive soundwalls. Drafting on the other hand, while dangerous, is proven.

- LostCause

Lazarus 05-26-2008 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostCause (Post 28526)
Speaking from intuition, I doubt the corridor effect has any major effect on vehicle drag. I could only imagine it being useful in tunnels or maybe alongside massive soundwalls. Drafting on the other hand, while dangerous, is proven.

- LostCause

What about situations with stiff x-winds?

RH77 05-26-2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 28543)
What about situations with stiff x-winds?

Great question. In 30 mph cross-winds (for the example let's say it's a full, 90-degrees vs. driving direction), if I pass a large vehicle (or vice-versa) the blockage of that crosswind instantly boosts the FE per the SG.

To rule out the noise of the draft effect, during calm winds, the boost isn't as dramatic. In the 'Teg, the x-wind scenario generally boosts FE by roughly 7 MPG, where the "passing draft" gains closer to 3-5. This is generally all of 10-seconds, so you'd have to hang in the "unsafe zone" to take full advantage. On a 3+ lane highway, I often LOD up hills similar to semi trucks. Many build-up momentum to pass in the center or right-center lane and offer up some "help" to climb the hill. I won't make it a habit to maintain side-draft exclusively in the exact same spot. We're each using LOD differently and often lose pace. This doesn't upset the truck driver like full draft does.

For smaller vehicles in a tight corridor formation, this would have to be studied further for solid data.

RH77

elhigh 05-27-2008 07:11 PM

I think the corridor effect is still helping when you're doing less than the traffic around you - but now your relative velocity to the corridor breeze is even less than if you were keeping up with traffic. That's a win-win.

louisb323 05-29-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njlou (Post 28405)
to joycebgood:
FYI the latest thing that I have noticed is that the hybrids (drivers) are speeding/driving like crazy. I guess that they think if they get good mileage they can speed.

It seems to me like they're out to prove they can drive just as fast as regular IC engines. So sad. :(

i_am_socket 05-29-2008 02:33 PM

Indeed. I saw one the other day flying by with what looked to be a permanently installed roof rack (that was empty).

On a side note: the highway looks a lot different from 2 lanes over, doesn't it?

RH77 05-29-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_am_socket (Post 29416)
Indeed. I saw one the other day flying by with what looked to be a permanently installed roof rack (that was empty).

On a side note: the highway looks a lot different from 2 lanes over, doesn't it?

At highway speeds, I just take comfort that I'm probably getting better mileage than the yay-hoo in the Prius going 80.

RH77