Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Tips: corridor effect question

I tried going 55 on the Mass Pike a few weeks ago. I loved it. It was relaxing and I'm hearing it will increase mileage. But there was no ability to experience the "corridor effect" because people were passing me as though I was crawling. There was no one else going 55. Thoughts anyone?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

to joycebgood:
Like so many addictions/habits they die hard. "Everyone" has become a fast driver. They all have to get somewhere to do nothing, or drink some beer.
It has been a craziness for too many years. I dont think that high gas prices will turn them around. FYI the latest thing that I have noticed is that the hybrids (drivers) are speeding/driving like crazy. I guess that they think if they get good mileage they can speed.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
First of all, welcome to ecomodder!

It's hard to say whether the slow down or the corridor effect will improve mileage the most, but if you have a 96+ car I would say to get a scangauge and see for yourself!
Old 05-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlou View Post
to joycebgood:
Like so many addictions/habits they die hard. "Everyone" has become a fast driver. They all have to get somewhere to do nothing, or drink some beer.
It has been a craziness for too many years. I dont think that high gas prices will turn them around. FYI the latest thing that I have noticed is that the hybrids (drivers) are speeding/driving like crazy. I guess that they think if they get good mileage they can speed.
I think these same hybrid drivers were speeders before they got there hybrids

Old 05-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Slowing down will more than make up for the corridor effect. Even though they are blowing by you you still would get a little help especialy if it's a stream of traffic.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Now is it true that you can benefit from someone drafting you? Or in our cases tailgating you .. LOL

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 05-26-2008, 01:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pushrod - '02 Chevrolet Cavalier
Quote:
Now is it true that you can benefit from someone drafting you? Or in our cases tailgating you .. LOL
I would say no. Also, you have to be extremely close to a very large vehicle to take advantage of drafting. It may increase your FE, but it's very dangerous. Aside from eating all the crap a semi flings up off the road surface (goodbye windshield), you can't see hazards as you approach them. What would happen if the trailer were to suddenly shed a tire?

I'd recommend the 4 second rule as taught in driver's ed. Even as ecomodders, safety should come before economy.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Theoretically, two blunt objects sitting tandem in a flow will each see a decrease in drag. The rear object will see a much larger decrease, but the one in front will also see an improvement. It is most likely too negligable to see in real life (nor is it advisable).

Speaking from intuition, I doubt the corridor effect has any major effect on vehicle drag. I could only imagine it being useful in tunnels or maybe alongside massive soundwalls. Drafting on the other hand, while dangerous, is proven.

- LostCause
Old 05-26-2008, 09:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
Speaking from intuition, I doubt the corridor effect has any major effect on vehicle drag. I could only imagine it being useful in tunnels or maybe alongside massive soundwalls. Drafting on the other hand, while dangerous, is proven.

- LostCause
What about situations with stiff x-winds?

Old 05-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
What about situations with stiff x-winds?
Great question. In 30 mph cross-winds (for the example let's say it's a full, 90-degrees vs. driving direction), if I pass a large vehicle (or vice-versa) the blockage of that crosswind instantly boosts the FE per the SG.

To rule out the noise of the draft effect, during calm winds, the boost isn't as dramatic. In the 'Teg, the x-wind scenario generally boosts FE by roughly 7 MPG, where the "passing draft" gains closer to 3-5. This is generally all of 10-seconds, so you'd have to hang in the "unsafe zone" to take full advantage. On a 3+ lane highway, I often LOD up hills similar to semi trucks. Many build-up momentum to pass in the center or right-center lane and offer up some "help" to climb the hill. I won't make it a habit to maintain side-draft exclusively in the exact same spot. We're each using LOD differently and often lose pace. This doesn't upset the truck driver like full draft does.

For smaller vehicles in a tight corridor formation, this would have to be studied further for solid data.

RH77

_
_
Reply  Post New Thread