EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Tire Suggestions... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tire-suggestions-28542.html)

KrautBurner 03-25-2014 03:55 PM

Tire Suggestions...

I'm looking for "CHEAP" tires for my Commuter
I drive 120 miles/day, mostly 55/60mph 2 lane highways

im in a 2001 Prius
it's got 14" wheels
currently sporting 175/65-14

these sizes fit easily on the stock wheels
185/60-14, 185/65-14, 195/60-14, 205/55-14

I've been told the car should have xl tires (xtra load) but it's only about 3K lbs
what do you guys think?

what about LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) tires?
are they worth paying a bit more for?

any suggestions?

$41 each (stock size)
Tire Details - Discount Tire

$48 each (+size)

$101 for the michelins

UltArc 03-25-2014 04:12 PM

Stock- unless you find something skinnier. Usually less RR, and more fun on the road.

Please note I haven't done any extensive research- if the stock tire is tirerack user review rated at 50k, while the $8 more tire usually goes 100k, then that's the way I would go.

cbaber 03-25-2014 04:59 PM

Try to find a balance between warranty lifespan, price, and RR. The cheapest tire might not be the cheapest at first. For example $41/tire for a 40,000 mile tire is more expensive than a $56/tire 80,000 mile tire in the long run. I always read through the reviews, it really helps to hear from actual owners of the tire, they will talk about road noise and any complaints they have.

As far as size goes I would stay at the stock size. You could increase diameter to lower RPM's on the highway, but the impact is minimal and usually bigger tires cost more. You don't want to go any wider as UltArc stated.

user removed 03-25-2014 06:43 PM

Lots of 80+k tires will dry rot before you wear them out. Had that happen to my father in law when his Michelins were dry rotted with 90% of the tread left.
Most LRR tires a not super long lasting, they have less tread depth and weigh less. That can be more than offset by fuel savings.

regards
Mech

2000mc 03-25-2014 06:50 PM

If I wasn't going to get a lrr tire, I think I'd get the general altimax rt43, in the oe size
If all I wanted was mileage, despite seeming to be going backwards here, I might drop to the 165-65-14 lrr potenza re92.
I have defenders myself

user removed 03-25-2014 07:05 PM

Tires | Goodyear Tires

Goodyear $80 a set rebate. I like Bridgestones.

regards
Mech

mcrews 03-25-2014 07:38 PM

I would normally say up size with as many mile as you drive.
lower rpms at cruise always helps mpg.
But nut sure about a prius......

KrautBurner 03-25-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 417035)
Lots of 80+k tires will dry rot before you wear them out. Had that happen to my father in law when his Michelins were dry rotted with 90% of the tread left.
Most LRR tires a not super long lasting, they have less tread depth and weigh less. That can be more than offset by fuel savings.

regards
Mech

that's not a worry of mine
my commute is 60 miles each way, 5 days a week. (30,000 miles/year)

KrautBurner 03-25-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 417047)
I would normally say up size with as many mile as you drive.
lower rpms at cruise always helps mpg.
But nut sure about a prius......

yeah,
not exactly sure how it would affect this particular car

not a lot of people posting about the "Classic" (01-03) prius

cbaber 03-25-2014 09:50 PM

I have tires that are 1 inch increased diameter, it throws the speedo off about 5%. The effect is less than 300 RPM change, I figured it out before but forgot exactly how much. I don't really know much about the first gen Prius transmission. Planatary gear? Sounds similar to a CVT, the computer is always trying to optimize the gear ratio for the situation. Anyway, since you don't have a fixed ratio I doubt increased diameter will help.

user removed 03-25-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrautBurner (Post 417066)
yeah,
not exactly sure how it would affect this particular car

not a lot of people posting about the "Classic" (01-03) prius

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ius-11426.html

regards
Mech

2000mc 03-25-2014 10:47 PM

Looking a little further I'm seeing the oe tires had a load rating of 84, and with the Potenzas I was thinking of only having a rating of 78, I wouldn't try that route anyway

oil pan 4 03-25-2014 11:25 PM

I was going to say yoko avid ascends since they are llr and are not made with oil or food products, they use orange peels.
But they dont make them in 14 inch.

ksa8907 03-26-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000mc (Post 417038)
If I wasn't going to get a lrr tire, I think I'd get the general altimax rt43, in the oe size
If all I wanted was mileage, despite seeming to be going backwards here, I might drop to the 165-65-14 lrr potenza re92.
I have defenders myself

I would also suggest these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

75,000 mile rating, 11/32 tread depth, 14lbs
Discount can order any tire you want, they only advertise a select few that they make higher margins on/ are more popular.

For the same price of $57 you can go up to 175/70's or 185/65's and get load ratings of 84 and 86 respectively.

RedDevil 03-26-2014 12:34 PM

Buy the best quality tires available. They will earn themselves back in lower drag, longer lifespan, better comfort and grip. Safety is priceless.

Keep summer and winter sets. (I'm changing back to summer tires next week).

KrautBurner 03-26-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 417087)

either I'm missing something, or you didn't read the question/thread :rolleyes:

I've read that thread, and I didn't see anything about tires/size
(it's about Aeromodding)

KrautBurner 03-26-2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksa8907 (Post 417180)
I would also suggest these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

75,000 mile rating, 11/32 tread depth, 14lbs
Discount can order any tire you want, they only advertise a select few that they make higher margins on/ are more popular.

For the same price of $57 you can go up to 175/70's or 185/65's and get load ratings of 84 and 86 respectively.

I'll have to see what my local shop can get these AltiMAX RT43 for
Size: 175/70R14Serv. Desc: 84T Load Index 84 = 1102lbs (500kg) per tire
Speed Rating “T” = 118mph (190kph)
UTQG: Treadwear: 600
Traction: A
Temperature: B600 A B Price: $53.00 (each
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....RT43&tab=Sizes

KrautBurner 03-26-2014 01:44 PM

Discount Tire is the BEST !!!

looks like my local tire guy can get the AltiMAX RT43 to me for about $350 (out the door)
shipped, mounted, ballanced, with sales tax

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....RT43&tab=Sizes Size: 175/70R14

(Tire Rack charges $58 for shipping, and I'd still have to pay mounting/ballancing)

I'm pretty happy with the deal

they say these are better than any of the tires in (or near) this price range
only tire thats really better are the Michelins (at $40 more each)

user removed 03-26-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrautBurner (Post 417191)
either I'm missing something, or you didn't read the question/thread :rolleyes:

I've read that thread, and I didn't see anything about tires/size
(it's about Aeromodding)

You made the comment about how few Gen 1 Prii there are on this forum (possibly in another thread). I just remembered orang4boy's vehicle. Read some of his posts and you have great info about getting max mileage from your car.

Tire choice cost me 7MPG on my VX. I got a set of Michelins for $226 total from Sam's club. Bottom line is cheapest is usually never best, if it cost you hundreds more in fuel.
Sorry for clogging up your thread with relevant information.

regards
Mech

KrautBurner 03-26-2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 417203)
You made the comment about how few Gen 1 Prii there are on this forum (possibly in another thread). I just remembered orang4boy's vehicle. Read some of his posts and you have great info about getting max mileage from your car.

Tire choice cost me 7MPG on my VX. I got a set of Michelins for $226 total from Sam's club. Bottom line is cheapest is usually never best, if it cost you hundreds more in fuel.
Sorry for clogging up your thread with relevant information.

regards
Mech

I'm really hoping that Orang4boy chimes back in on that thread
I'm thinking about following some of his tips/tricks this summer

7mpg, that's a huge loss
I have seen tires make a difference, but never that much

user removed 03-26-2014 02:26 PM

The original 15 year old tires were on my 94 VX when I changed them. I could't believe it myself. Just got the car painted and I did't want to risk a blowout with the old tires. I hope you have better luck than I did.

regards
Mech

KrautBurner 03-26-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 417207)
I hope you have better luck than I did.

regards
Mech

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....RT43&tab=Sizes

they are advertised as a good quality all season tire
(I've got "Snow" tires for the winter)

honestly,
I've only purchased tires for specific Performance aspects in the past
(racing, snow, touring)
never for economy

at least, Discount Tire will stand behind them for me :thumbup:

KrautBurner 03-26-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 417207)
The original 15 year old tires were on my 94 regards
Mech

15 years old :eek:
thats crazy

I don't like tires that are over 5 years old
tire shops in my area won't even touch (re-mount) tires over 10 years old

user removed 03-26-2014 02:38 PM

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post171019

This is one of orange4boys threads on LRR tires from 2010. Hope it helps.

The Kuhmo Solus tires on my Fiesta (factory) seem to be real good.

One of the absolute best would be the RE92s they used on 1st gen insights, but they might not have the load capacity for your Prius with max capacity loads.

regards
Mech

user removed 03-26-2014 02:59 PM

Here is the thread from orange4boy about the Nokians he put on his prius, said he loved them. Look at post 158.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-10710-16.html

regards
Mech

user removed 03-26-2014 03:11 PM

I wouldn't advise it but I rode a 1971 Honda CB350 bike on the original tires in 2011, when they were 40 years old! I wanted to see if it was going to burn oil after sitting for 28 years before I bought tires that cost me more than the bike! Paid $250 for the bike sold it for $2500 with about $1100 total in it. Bought at 4718 sold at 6100, never had a light bulb replaced.
Pins and needles, never over 45 for 200 miles, oil level never moved, replaced tires, changed oil.

regards
Mech

roosterk0031 03-26-2014 05:08 PM

Happened into a set of Nokian WRG2's for the Stratus, nice tire, but expensive 195/65-15 are $120 range. Going to put a set WRG3's on the impala this summer/fall and any future cars that I expect to have around for awhile that won't have dedicated winter tires.

KrautBurner 03-27-2014 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 417212)
[url]
One of the absolute best would be the RE92s they used on 1st gen insights, but they might not have the load capacity for your Prius with max capacity loads.

regards
Mech

dam,
those are more expensive than the Michelins
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/potenza-re92/p175-65r14

couldn't find a load rating

when I put in the car, nothing shows as being apropriate

KrautBurner 03-27-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 417216)
Here is the thread from orange4boy about the Nokians he put on his prius, said he loved them. Look at post 158.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-10710-16.html

regards
Mech

those are some good looking tires (still more than I can justify spending at $110 each + shipping + M/B)
and the performance from a "winter" tire is amazing

Nokian WR G2 185/65R14XL 90T BSW free shipping BSW Buy online - tires-easy.com

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rs...n&typ=R-159423

UltArc 03-27-2014 05:08 PM

RE92s were 80 each for me from Honda- that's the only way I'll go for the Insight, but if I had the Prius, it would either be RE92s (100k tire) or the stock tires for their price, and see how they do.

2000mc 03-27-2014 11:39 PM

goodyear fuelmax P185/65R14 and you should be able to get a $40rebate

KrautBurner 03-28-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000mc (Post 417443)
goodyear fuelmax P185/65R14 and you should be able to get a $40rebate

looks like those go for $100 each
Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max Tire P185/65R14 - Walmart.com

that makes them about $550 for the set

the General's I ordered (should have them installed monday) were $65 each
that's about $350 installed (after Labor and Tax)
and they have a $100 rebate :thumbup:

Big Dave 03-28-2014 12:42 PM

As rolling resistance data is closely guarded, one default you can assume is that the OEM rubber is the lowest RR you are likely to find. This is data the OEM has to submit to the EPA to get an MPG rating and as MPG ratings are often sales points, the OEM has a reason to use the lowest RR tires possible.

Keep the skinny tires.

CapriRacer 03-29-2014 07:52 AM

Big Dave,

I hope you understand that I am trying to correct a misconception and I'm not picking on you or your post. Just merely trying to get the facts straight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 417520)
As rolling resistance data is closely guarded.........

It's more like there are several ways to express RR and there is no agreement which test to use. In other words, different tests yield different results, so unless the tests are the same, you can't be certain of any particular value that is quoted.

And rather than get into a pissing contest with their competitors, they've chosen to be purposely vague.

Quote:

....., one default you can assume is that the OEM rubber is the lowest RR you are likely to find.......

This is very likely true. I don't know of any tires that have truly low RR values that aren't OEM.

Quote:

........... This is data the OEM has to submit to the EPA to get an MPG rating..........

Actually, the RR values aren't submitted. The overall vehicle test results are and the tire's RR value as well as the engine's efficiency, transmission losses, etc. all contribute to the value obtained. The tire's RR is just little bit of the overall picture, but the government doesn't know what the RR values are (unless they test them themselves.)

Quote:

...... and as MPG ratings are often sales points, the OEM has a reason to use the lowest RR tires possible........

Well ...... sort of. RR is part of the technology triangle where traction and treadwear form the other legs. Any improvement in one area is done at the expense of another area. It's a delicate balance that vehicle manufacturers sometimes get wrong - one of the reasons why OE tires are generally considered "poor quality". But OE tires aren't always the lowest RR values possible - sometimes the vehicle manufacturer will emphasize traction in order to impress journalists.

Quote:

......Keep the skinny tires.

Skinny isn't so much the over-riding factor in RR. There are other things that have a much larger effect.

Vekke 03-29-2014 03:48 PM

Also remember that when talking only rolling resistance in same tire size effect to fuel consumption is only max 7-8% better fuel consumption between best and worst. Now you can easily make calculations is it worth to buy brand tires or not. Based on Finnish tire magasize tests usually it is as brand tires tend to last up to twice the miles longer.

I would not fully trush the wear ratings or what you think Capriracer is there some legislation that manufacturers cannot lie on that rating?

If you open the door to changing size totally different the bigger diameter (longer distance travelled) and aerodynamics (narrow) effect more than the LRR compound.

I would go for 175/80R14 if you can find a good set (if your state laws allow them). In finland you can find over 35 manufactuers for that size so there must be some importers to US also... At least in Finland you can buy used set easily 50-100$ so you can test their effect. If they dont work sell them and buy different size.

CapriRacer 03-30-2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vekke (Post 417752)
........I would not fully trust the wear ratings or what you think Capriracer is there some legislation that manufacturers cannot lie on that rating?........

Well, sort of.

The tire manufacturers can not OVER state the wear rating - and they have to do the comparison to a standard tire (so you can compare between brands) - BUT - not only can the tire manufacturers UNDER state the wear rating, they can run the test a number of times, selecting the best result (if they want). Or they can run the test such that the comparison to the standard tire is through multiple tests, taking advantage of the error in each test.

So while you can compare treadwear ratings, you have to take them with a grain of salt. There is probably little difference between tires rated within 10% of each other (say, 400 vs 440), but there will be a difference between tires rated more than that (say, 300 vs 400) - keeping in mind that understating the wear rating is possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vekke (Post 417752)
........If you open the door to changing size totally different the bigger diameter (longer distance travelled) and aerodynamics (narrow) effect more than the LRR compound.....

I thoroughly disagree. The RR of tires in the same size can vary up to 60%. Small tire size changes are on the order of a couple percent. Tire aerodynamics is even smaller. Gearing changes due to tire size might have a larger affect, and probably worth the trouble, particularly considering there are 2 things going in the positive direction (gearing and RR)

Vekke 03-30-2014 10:59 AM

Rolling resistance can be bigger % change but the effect to fuel consumption is max 7-8% at least what I have seen in local magazines (been following the tests over 4 years perioid summer and winter tires) and they have usually one or two reference tires of chinese marks (non brand) just to see the level of their performance.

This years test had 16 tires and biggest difference was 6% to fuel consumption. and the suprice performer was Landsail LS288 which outrun few of the brand tires in some tests. That tire set reference price was 350€ 8.6 points of 10 vs winner Continental Contipremium Contact 5 550€ per set 9.5 of 10. tested size was 205/55R16