EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Tire wear help! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tire-wear-help-17113.html)

barkl0r 04-29-2011 08:28 PM

Tire wear help!

Guys, wondering if you could help me diagnose the tire wear on my Focus (Mk1, 1.8tddi, 2000, 146k, hatchback - 5dr, 42psi, veg oil ftw).

I bought the car in January, at the MOT he said I nearly failed on my tire wear on the inside... so I looked at it, and it was bald inside - almost chamfered looking. (pics at end) You can hopefully see how the rest of the tire has decent tread remaining - at least 4mm all over, maybe 5 or 6. Gutting that this is basically a good tire with potentially lots of life, but the wear is lopsided and has knackered it.

I ordered new tires, but they are not here yet. Tonight I swapped them front to back for a few long journeys as they aren't healthy - one of the back tyres had the tell tale swapped-about chamfer look, the other was as good as new.

I wonder what causes such heavy inside edge tyre wear? Camber?

It is possible that those tyres were under pressure, but when I got the car I checked and the worst of them was 27psi which is OK for the car. A bit low for me; I run them at sidewall max for MPG anyway - there is no harm in this, but 27 isn't that low.

Would be so appreciative of your advice. I have a set of Uniroyal Rain Experts on the way - should be here in a week or 2 and I would really like to get decent miles out of them.

Thanks so much, here are the pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...d/IMG_0246.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...d/IMG_0247.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...d/IMG_0248.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...d/IMG_0249.jpg

Mike

Joenavy85 04-30-2011 12:46 AM

tire rub?? was it the same on both rear tires? if it was only on one side i would guess something was rubbing. your camber would have to be way out of whack to cause that kind of uneven wear, but still possible. can you take a picture from behind the car to show any camber of the rear wheels?

puddleglum 04-30-2011 12:57 AM

I'm certainly no expert, but I would be looking at camber. My car has had inside edge wear since new and I'm certain it is from excessive neg. camber. If you just bought the car, the wear was probably there when you bought it and you didn't notice. You really have no way of knowing what went on before you got it. I suggest you get a wheel alignment and check the suspension before you install your new tires.

moorecomp 04-30-2011 01:12 AM

There is a TSB that covers this, seems a wrong upper control arm was installed from the factory.

TSB
03-13-5

SUSPENSION - REAR TIRE INNER EDGE WEAR
Publication Date: June 30, 2003

FORD:
2000-2004 FOCUS

ISSUE:

Some vehicles may exhibit rear tire inner edge wear.
ACTION:

If a vehicle exhibits rear inner edge tire wear, and the rear camber reading is beyond the negative end of the specification (max. -2.2 Wagon, -2.3 Sedan & ZX3/5), then install revised +1.0 degree rear Upper Control Arm(s). Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

Removal

Remove the rear wheel and tire. For additional information, refer to Workshop Manual Section 204-04.
Remove the outboard upper control arm bolt, and detach the upper control arm from the wheel knuckle.

NOTE: MAKE A NOTE OF THE POSITION OF THE UPPER CONTROL ARM TO AID IN INSTALLATION.

For Wagons only. Remove the lower shock bolt and position the shock aside.
Remove the inboard upper control arm bolt, and remove the arm.

Installation

NOTE: FINAL TORQUING OF THE REAR SUSPENSION COMPONENTS SHOULD BE CARRIED OUT AT OR NEAR THE CURB HEIGHT SETTING. TO ACHIEVE THIS LOAD THE SUSPENSION.

Install upper control arm and a new inboard upper control arm bolt.
For Wagons only. Reposition shock and reinstall the lower shock bolt.
Position the upper control arm in the wheel knuckle and install a new outboard upper control arm bolt.
Reinstall rear wheel and tire.
Recheck alignment to verify camber change, and set toe if necessary.

LABOR OPERATION CLAIMING CHART
Operation Labor Description Vehicle Time
031305A Check Alignment, Replace One Rear Upper Control Arm, And Recheck Alignment (Includes Time To Set Toe If Necessary) Sedan, ZX3/5 1.1 Hrs.
Wagon 1.1 Hrs.

031305B Check Alignment, Replace Both Rear Upper Control Arms, And Recheck Alignment (Includes Time To Set Toe If Necessary) Sedan, ZX3/5 1.4 Hrs.
Wagon 1.5 Hrs.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
3S4Z-1A154-AA Kit - Rear Suspension Upper Arm - Contains Arm And 2 Bolts

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

NONE
WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
5500 07

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.:thumbup:

barkl0r 04-30-2011 04:02 AM

Thanks for the replies guys!

Firstly - I was unclear - these are front tyres.

Thanks so much for the rear tyre article - if it happens on the back I will know why!!

Is there a similar reason for the front?

The track rod ends seem in reasonable condition, no appreciable play. The antiroll bar s at the front need replaced as they are knocking - I doubt that is the issue.

Maybe a symptom of old suspension - it has done 146k? I just replaced the rear shocks as back left was knocking. That made a big difference to ride quality!

Thanks guys, looking forward to your advice again :)

Mike

barkl0r 04-30-2011 04:04 AM

Just a note: this is the European hatchback diesel model. I know the saloon type is more prevalent in the us. (I think I know that) heh!

Also; I don't notice anything rubbing. I will have a good look when I go to check tire pressures today.

euromodder 04-30-2011 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barkl0r (Post 235080)
I wonder what causes such heavy inside edge tyre wear? Camber?

:eek:
Whenever I'm waiting for new tyres to be fitted, I tend to look over the stacks of used tyres at the tyre shop, but I can't say I've seen a worse wear pattern than this.

That tyre is totally shot, it's worn down to the inner layers - those white strands.

Quote:

I have a set of Uniroyal Rain Experts on the way - should be here in a week or 2 and I would really like to get decent miles out of them.
You're going to run this tyre for another 2 weeks ?
Gotta be nuts !

Go to the place where you ordered your new tyres and see if they have a used tyre in your size that you can have dirt cheap (or maybe even free).

Get the TSB checked out that moorecomp pointed out.
This isn't something you're gonna cure with adding more pressure.

If it isn't the problem from the TSB or massive rubbing , it's a very severe camber and / or toe issue.

Seeing how quickly the thickness of the rubber is reduced, I wonder if this misaligned couldn't be spotted with the naked eye with the tyre mounted.

euromodder 04-30-2011 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barkl0r (Post 235158)
Also; I don't notice anything rubbing. I will have a good look when I go to check tire pressures today.

Put some coloured blackboard chalk on the tyre surface and push or slowly drive it forward.
If it rubs, you'll see it on the chalk, and the chalk will go on whatever the tyre rubbed onto.

Then drive a bit around the block and see where most of the chalk remains - it should be gone or be reduced evenly.

barkl0r 04-30-2011 05:47 AM

Thanks for the advice - I will contact the tire shop.

I swapped them to the back to get me through the weekend - running a reasonably good set at the front now.

I am trying to find somewhere who will sort this properly - most places only seem to do a steering alignment, not a toe/camber deal.

I must say since buying the car I didn't even look at the inside edge of the tires as the outside was looking very well. Lessons learned eh??

Joenavy85 04-30-2011 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barkl0r (Post 235157)
Firstly - I was unclear - these are front tyres.

no,you were clear, i was tired when i replied and didn't read the post well enough. So, can you get a picture of the front of your car showing the camber of the tires on both sides?