EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   TopGear.com America high mpg project (regeared, aeromodded diesel Rabbit) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/topgear-com-america-high-mpg-project-regeared-aeromodded-7176.html)

giff 02-19-2009 04:57 PM

TopGear.com America high mpg project (regeared, aeromodded diesel Rabbit)

Hey guys, I'm with TopGear.com America and we're working on a project vehicle I think you'll all find interesting. We used resources on this (and other fuel economy-focused sites) in researching and planning the project, and will continue to do so, so it's only fair that we show what we're up to, right?

The details are still under wraps, but everything will be revealed soon (tomorrow, actually). Feel free to speculate... and there will be opportunities for you all to put in your $0.02. We'll come back and keep you guys updated and (hopefully) entertained.

Check it out here;
Watch Where's Our Nobel? - A Top Gear Car Video - Top Gear US

botsapper 02-19-2009 05:12 PM

By G. Giugaro...American market...0-60 in approx. 7 secs...that wheel well arch...

I nominate (world saving?) VW Golf/Rabbit Turbo Diesel.

brucey 02-19-2009 05:20 PM

There isn't any coroplast in the teaser shots.

I'm pretty disappointed. Whats the point of saying "I modified my car to get crazy MPG's!" if it doesent look like it was built by Doctor Emmet Brown?

shovel 02-19-2009 05:53 PM

heh, yeah I'd venture to guess circa '82 rabbit with a TDI transplant and some creative goofyness. Should be a fun watch.

I hope it has scads of randomly mounted AeroTabs all over it. And a belly pan made from a discarded screen door.

ConnClark 02-19-2009 05:57 PM

I bet that they are going to make a nuclear car. This is Top Gear after all. They have tried to make a space shuttle out of a Reliant Robin before so why not? :D

skyl4rk 02-19-2009 06:01 PM

two words:

duct tape

tasdrouille 02-19-2009 08:48 PM

I know someone from Top Gear America was trying to get a hold of Jeff from RocketChip to work on a project, might that be it?

Just how high mpg are we talking about? 7 secs 0-60 for a TDI would be pretty fast, unless it's a transplant.

mtgeekman 02-19-2009 09:46 PM

I believe the video says 70mpg.

The little they show of it, I agree it looks like a VW Rabbit.

MetroMPG 02-19-2009 09:58 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, giff - looks like fun. (Well, that's a given.)

I agree, looks like a VW. My money's on an 81-84 Golf/Rabbit, with a TDI transplant.

EDIT: hope it smokes less than other chipped TDI's I've seen. Or it better smell like burning french fries...

botsapper 02-19-2009 11:07 PM

EcoStig episode

1 Attachment(s)
There was the White Stig, the Black Stig, the Rig Stig, The American Stig, the African Stig and now ...introducing the Eco Stig!

Some say he could hypermile & P&G a Cd efficient, Coroplast sculpted, grill blocked, flat bellied, one-ringed, maxxed inflated, french-fry fueled, etc.....Eco Mod!

With full credit & inspiration to basjoos' beast - famous Aerocivic!