EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Total newbie from United Kingdom (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/total-newbie-united-kingdom-27394.html)

Tootler 10-29-2013 04:52 PM

Total newbie from United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a Volkswagen Golf Mk4 E SDI, and I'm hoping it will make a reasonable base for some economical, reliable motoring.

My username describes my driving style

Tootle: To walk or drive in a leisurely manner.

Any suggestions for increasing MPG on this model of car are most welcome!

UltArc 10-29-2013 08:37 PM

Welcome! The best economy improvements will be learned here: 100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com

Then here: 65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

MetroMPG 10-30-2013 10:49 AM

Welcome, Tootler.

Congratulations on the purchase.

Did your Golf come with a resettable trip fuel economy gauge? Also an "instant" gauge? Getting instrumentation and recording your results is always my first bit of advice.

royanddoreen 10-30-2013 04:30 PM

welcome tootler!! hows the price of petrol? about $1.45 per litre here in nfld,Canada. Lots of info here on eccomodder,hope to here some of your advances in mpg soon.

Daox 10-30-2013 04:52 PM

Welcome to the site.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 10-30-2013 10:36 PM

The SDI is a great engine.

Tootler 11-21-2013 06:59 PM

Thanks for the links to hyper miling tips.

I've had a quick look. Fortunately I've been doing quite a few of those tips with my old car. Just need to get used to how far my SDI rolls so that I can time my approaches to lights and queues.

Tootler 11-21-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 397619)
Welcome, Tootler.

Did your Golf come with a resettable trip fuel economy gauge? Also an "instant" gauge? Getting instrumentation and recording your results is always my first bit of advice.

I can reset the trip mileage, but that's all I have.

I was thinking of buying a ScanGauge II, but not sure if it will work. I've found a 16 pin socket under a cover between the HVAC controls and the ashtray.

Tootler 11-21-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 397619)
Welcome, Tootler.

All I have is a resettable trip mileometer.

I was thinking of buying a Scangauge II, but not sure if it would work. I've found a 16 pin socket under a cover between the HVAC controls and the ashtray so it might be possible.

Tootler 11-21-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royanddoreen (Post 397663)
welcome tootler!! hows the price of petrol? about $1.45 per litre here in nfld,Canada. Lots of info here on eccomodder,hope to here some of your advances in mpg soon.

Bout 135-140 pence per litre for diesel. Fortunately I'm not using much at the moment!