EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Toyota MPG Chart in a non-modified 2014 Camry SE (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/toyota-mpg-chart-non-modified-2014-camry-se-37927.html)

Galvatron1 10-25-2019 02:22 PM

Toyota MPG Chart in a non-modified 2014 Camry SE

Just out of curiosity, what's the best mpg an unmodified non-hybrid Camry can get of this generation? I think the absolute best I can get is 60-80+ Mpg on highways for a minute or 2, since the chart doesn't read above 60 mpg. The worst I can get is in city traffic with lots of stop & go traffic, poor traffic light sequences & heavy congestion yields sub 5 MPG. Avg overall is mid 20s mpg.

Not sure what I can do to net gains. I inflate my tires 1-2 psi above the door jam 35 PSI recommendation. Sidewall max PSI is 51. I hope to not induce premature tire wear by exceeding the manufacturers PSI rating. .

How accurate is the Toyota MPG screen?

Ecky 10-26-2019 09:37 AM

I'm not aware of anyone else on this site with a Camry from those years. Manual or automatic? You might find what you're looking for in this thread:

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...you-15182.html

Most vehicle fuel economy gauges tend to be quite optimistic. I drive a Ford Transit Connect for work and find the gauge can be as much as 20% high. In other American vehicles I've driven, the fuel economy computer stops counting when you're in neutral or at a stop. My Insight's computer on the other hand tends to be within 1% accuracy, possibly more accurate than fuel pumps.

I found that my tires wear most evenly at 44-48PSI. At the factory recommendation of 38, the edges tend to wear first. A few people on Insight Central run over 60 PSI, with one that I'm aware of running 120 in his tires with no reported issues so far. Not that I'm recommending it.

I wish I could speak more specifically for your car.

nemo 10-26-2019 10:31 AM

While OE gauges are not usually accurate, many have several modes, some may be more accurate than others. These mode may include tank average , instantaneous and on some cars the average for the last 15 minutes. Check your manual for specific information on you vehicle. If it didn't come with one the Toyota web site offers a downloadable PDF version.

Link to tracking fuel mileage.
https://ecomodder.com/blog/hypermili...l-consumption/

Galvatron1 10-26-2019 02:27 PM

It's automatic transmission. No other same Gen Camry drivers on this forum?

My mpg screen shows avg mpg per minute for the last 15 minutes. It fluctuates in the current minute's mpg bar, based on how hard the throttle is depressed.

Really could use a suggestion of how high on psi for tire pressure I should run for max fuel efficiency without wearing out the tires.

nemo 10-26-2019 03:00 PM

If you do a search in the garage it looks like only 2 Camry drivers are updating fuel logs.

My starting point for tire pressure is 4 PSI above recommended (cold), this is based on a general experience that I wear the inner and outer edges. Many here run much higher. Do a search here, many discussions of tire pressure and wear.

2016 Versa 10-26-2019 10:37 PM

The factory gauge in my Nissan Versa is usually between 5 and 10% optimistic.

Joggernot 10-27-2019 06:56 AM

I tried to keep track for a 2018 Honda CRV. Average is 1.7 mpg higher than calculated for the first 20k miles.

elhigh 10-30-2019 09:39 PM

You know you can just go to the Garage page and specify it list only Camries, right? Takes about ten seconds. Even if there aren't many currently being updated there are quite a few to look at, including a few with some depth of coverage.

The highest scoring Camry in the Garage is a '99 four-cylinder at 39.84 MPG average over 60k miles. I can see your car scoring short term moving averages touching 60mpg, but not over a whole tank.

You say you're facing a lot of stop and go, your biggest improvement will come from weight reduction.

Galvatron1 10-31-2019 10:43 AM

I'll try checking out the Camry garage, thanks for the suggestion. Yesterday I inflated my tires to 40 psi, from 35 psi.

The car is usually empty, I don't carry a whole lot in the car. But you're totally right a weight reduction would show a significant improvement in mpg.

You are exactly right about touching 60 miles per gallon for a minute or two! On the highway I can seldom get over 40 miles per gallon for 15 minutes in a row. .

Galvatron1 10-31-2019 11:08 AM

I think I read a tip about not running your heat until the car is at operating temperature , Because it's more efficient.

Although some say it's not necessary to warm up your car when you're first getting started. What are your thoughts on that? From an efficiency standpoint, is it better to warm up your car for a minute or two? Or until it drops under a certain RPM's?