Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2008, 03:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Welcome to the Solar Century

Welcome to the Solar Century http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...solar-century/

Until a few years ago the suggestion that solar power might provide the answer to the intertwined problems of long term energy security and climate change would have been dismissed as a pipedream. The high cost of solar cells, their inefficiency in converting the sun’s rays into electricity and the lack of state investment or assistance for renewable energy start-ups meant there was little hope.

Does anyone have any information on the "new research" that PV for home use is generates more greenhouse gases than the energy it offsets?

And I totally didn't realize the solar program in Germany - that's really cool

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-05-2008, 05:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
A German co was nanosolar's first order. As for the Carbon statement, I think the author must be in error. The only thing I could think of is that with a sufficiently inefficient/Carbon intensive power source they may not pay themselves off in terms of Carbon emissions. Everything I've read points to a decade for energy payback.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Welcome to the Solar Century http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...solar-century/

Until a few years ago the suggestion that solar power might provide the answer to the intertwined problems of long term energy security and climate change would have been dismissed as a pipedream. The high cost of solar cells, their inefficiency in converting the sun’s rays into electricity and the lack of state investment or assistance for renewable energy start-ups meant there was little hope.

Does anyone have any information on the "new research" that PV for home use is generates more greenhouse gases than the energy it offsets?

And I totally didn't realize the solar program in Germany - that's really cool
Where is this new research? Is it because of the "redundant systems" that are installed to support a decentralized solar system? I keep thinking that once solar gets rolling, the energy inputs could come from a solar power plant.

I'm just happy that billions of solar cats are finally being listened to!!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	solar_cat.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	137

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 01-06-2008, 03:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
I keep thinking that once solar gets rolling, the energy inputs could come from a solar power plant.
I've always had the same thing in mind... In theory, foe each PV that comes online to the grid - future PVs have less mfr. emissions... in theory
Old 01-06-2008, 03:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
trebuchet03 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
I've always had the same thing in mind... In theory, foe each PV that comes online to the grid - future PVs have less mfr. emissions... in theory
Again, in my perfect world, the PV factory would have sufficient real estate to setup it's own solar generation plant.

But, I don't know the solar panel manufacturing process in detail, so I don't know if there is a mandatory greenhouse gas penalty in its current form.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread