EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Tribota Tiger (Kubota 3-cyl diesel motorbike project) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tribota-tiger-kubota-3-cyl-diesel-motorbike-project-29042.html)

coachgeo 05-24-2014 02:31 PM

Tribota Tiger (Kubota 3-cyl diesel motorbike project)

Yup you got it right. Triumph Tiger (steamer) Motorcycle with a Kubota 3cyl Diesel.

Can't believe that as long as I've read things here occasionally and been on other Alt. Fuel boards...... I never actually registered here. My bad and I apologize.

Am a Unimog nut (but sadly no longer own one) Had Alt fuel interest since around 1979; granted lost my way for a decade or so in there somewhere but eventually rolled back around to it. Use to run my dieselized 404 Unimog on WVO.

To go with the original plan to rebuild the Mog into an Expedition Camper I settled on building a Diesel Motorcycle too. That and many many dreams and hopes died in the last economic crunch EXCEPT somehow held onto my dignity and the Diesel Bike project.

Now that Im back to mucking my way thru the world employed steadily for the last 1.5 years things are well....... rolling again. My Diesel Tiger Will be finished sometime this summer. Will enjoy getting around 100mpg.

Hope to build a plastics distiller as well. Convert trash plastic to diesel. Been saving plastic stuff for about a year now. Why plastic? Getting way to hard to find WVO these days is why I'm leaning that direction.

My 231,000 miles VW diesel runs strong averaging 41mpg but everything on the car around the engine is falling apart. Hoping to replace it with an Elio.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-24-2014 08:53 PM

Are you considering some engine tuning too?

MetroMPG 05-24-2014 09:46 PM

Welcome, coachgeo!

Sounds like a fun project. Awaiting details (and pics, of course).

coachgeo 05-24-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 426083)
Are you considering some engine tuning too?

Am using the D722. Not Kubota's most powerful 3cyl but at 20lbs lighter than the next step up for only a few HP gain..... Im thinking it will push me to same speeds as the heavier more powerfull D902 engine due to the weight difference. That and I only weight 150lb soaking wet myself.

As to tweaking the engine...... It was a running Refer engine soo???? will see. Once it is running and Im confident... maybe a turn up of the IP. I don't desire anything over cruising at 75mph though. Won't reach those speeds where i live anyway even on the interstate.

If engine is running strong and can afford it... and can figure out how to pack it in there I might go Turbo or Supercharger to get more oooomph out of it without needing to go outside its power curve like turning up the IP does.

Only other thing... for engine longevity might do a tiny water/alcohol inject bottle just for purpose of cleaning engine occassionaly. Especially since I'll end up doing some blended fuels with non standard diesel /alt. derived fuels.

coachgeo 05-24-2014 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 426095)
Welcome, coachgeo!

Sounds like a fun project. Awaiting details (and pics, of course).

I applogizie.... have got so many build threads running in various places I can't add another one. Build thread exist on Advrider, suckindiesel, and tigertriple. The one at suckindiesel.com/thingy is the most updated. My user name has been the same for decades so wont be hard to find any of them.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-25-2014 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachgeo (Post 426101)
for engine longevity might do a tiny water/alcohol inject bottle just for purpose of cleaning engine occassionaly. Especially since I'll end up doing some blended fuels with non standard diesel /alt. derived fuels.

Great. BTW the main aspect I like about Diesel engines is their suitability to alternative fuels.

Xist 05-25-2014 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachgeo (Post 426101)
That and I only weight 150lb soaking wet myself.

How much water do you adsorb? :D

elhigh 05-25-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 426127)
How much water do you adsorb? :D

As funny as this is, if it's a typo it's even funnier.

Cobb 05-26-2014 09:56 AM

You dont hear Unimog and eco modding in the same sentence. :eek:

elhigh 05-26-2014 04:12 PM

If it's the old school 1947-1975 models, I don't care what the fuel costs if I could just have a Moggie to put it into. The newer ones, not so much.

Well, I might care a little: posted average fuel consumption of the old 404 (the smallest one), 10-14mpg!