EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Tuft Testing on Insight Hatch Glass (2006 Honda Insight, 1st gen.) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tuft-testing-insight-hatch-glass-2006-honda-insight-19299.html)

jime57 10-26-2011 04:15 PM

Tuft Testing on Insight Hatch Glass (2006 Honda Insight, 1st gen.)

OK. FINALLY got time to do the Insight hatch testing. Set up my camera with wideangle lens to see the entire glass. Set up three rows by 4 columes of wool tuft. The bottom line is that there is slight turbulence but no detachment. I will post the video soon as someone tells me how to do that. Question, the video is from my Canon 5DMkII and the smallest frame was 640x450 pixels, so do I need to resize this somehow? (I'm a still photographer!)

Someone in the know please tell me how to get this video onto the site please.

Thanks,
Jim E.

Daox 10-26-2011 04:38 PM

The easiest way is probably to upload it to youtube.com. From there all you have to do is paste the link to the youtube video and the forum software will embed the video in your post.

jime57 10-26-2011 05:11 PM

First I have to get it off the flash card and into my computer:confused:

It is in .MOV format which is apparently a Canon format. I have Canon s/w which should get me over that hump.

Once I get it into my computer, what format should I use for U-Tube postings?

Weather Spotter 10-26-2011 07:25 PM

uploading it to YouTube and they will convert it.
.mov is the default file type for movies on a mac :)

user removed 10-26-2011 10:05 PM

I'll bet the flow is pretty smooth. On mine with some rain-x on the glass the drops never stayed there for any amount of time. Even in a downpour the glass looked dry as long as you were moving over 25 MPH or so.

regards
Mech

jime57 10-27-2011 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 267462)
I'll bet the flow is pretty smooth. On mine with some rain-x on the glass the drops never stayed there for any amount of time. Even in a downpour the glass looked dry as long as you were moving over 25 MPH or so.

regards
Mech

You're right. It is pretty smooth. Just looking at the video from my camera, and harkening back to the explanation that Metro had given with his boat tail video, I think the flow would be classified as very slightly turbulent, but not detached in any sense. Later, I'm going to raise the hatch a couple of inches and see if the flow improves, but for now I'd settle for getting the first video uploaded.:confused:

I'm computer challenged so I'm having my problems with getting the video onto youtube. Last night I realized that I had the radio playing in the background, which the camera of course recorded with the video data. I haven't found a way to edit out the sound. I suspect I'd get myself into trouble uploading copyright material to youtube, so I'm reshooting the data this morning. I also need to sort out my camera format settings.My Canon 5D MKII records in .MOV vs. .mov, an apple format. I'm not sure they are the same, but I'll try to upload it anyway. Wish me luck.

brucepick 10-27-2011 08:02 AM

File names (and file name extensions) are not case-sensitive. Upper case or lower case = same result. If you have a file "haha.txt" and try to save "HAHA.TXT" it won't let you do it, because you already have a file by that name.

MetroMPG 10-27-2011 10:52 AM

If you like, email me the .MOV file and I'll post it on EcoModder's YouTube channel. darin@ecomodder.com

Sven7 10-27-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimepting (Post 267522)
You're right. It is pretty smooth. Just looking at the video from my camera, and harkening back to the explanation that Metro had given with his boat tail video, I think the flow would be classified as very slightly turbulent, but not detached in any sense. Later, I'm going to raise the hatch a couple of inches and see if the flow improves, but for now I'd settle for getting the first video uploaded.:confused:

I'm computer challenged so I'm having my problems with getting the video onto youtube. Last night I realized that I had the radio playing in the background, which the camera of course recorded with the video data. I haven't found a way to edit out the sound. I suspect I'd get myself into trouble uploading copyright material to youtube, so I'm reshooting the data this morning. I also need to sort out my camera format settings.My Canon 5D MKII records in .MOV vs. .mov, an apple format. I'm not sure they are the same, but I'll try to upload it anyway. Wish me luck.

Don't worry about copyright in that case. Your intention is not to reproduce the music- it's just on by coincidence, undoubtedly with lots of background noise. There will be no problem uploading your video.

You should be able to directly upload the .mov file. YouTube will take whatever you've got and convert it into its own format. After it's done uploading it will give you a link to the video.

To record better quality video I'll give you some instructions. This is based on my Rebel T1i but it should be the same.

-Put your camera in video mode
-Press Menu
-Use the left-right arrows to go to the movie tab (it should be a red video camera icon on the top left of the screen)
-Using the up-down arrows, scroll down to Movie rec. size. Yours should say 640x480.
-Press "SET" (between the arrow keys). This will bring up several resolutions. -Set it to the highest available. My T1i goes to 1080p which is standard HD quality like on your TV.
-Press "SET" again to save your changes
-You should be ready to take high res. video now! :)

MetroMPG 10-27-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimepting (Post 267522)
I realized that I had the radio playing in the background, which the camera of course recorded with the video data. I haven't found a way to edit out the sound. I suspect I'd get myself into trouble uploading copyright material to youtube, so I'm reshooting the data this morning.

Not necessary to re-shoot. See above comment.

Also, you can remove the audio from a clip after it's uploaded to YouTube, if you're still concerned.