EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Uber loses licence. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/uber-loses-licence-35662.html)

JockoT 09-22-2017 01:10 PM

Uber loses licence.

More news from the UK.
It was announced today that Transport for London is not renewing Uber's Private Hire licence, required to operate in the city. TfL concluded the ride-hailing app firm was not fit and proper to hold a London private hire operator licence. It said it took the decision on the grounds of "public safety and security implications".
Uber has 21 days to appeal against TfL's decision and can continue to operate while any appeals are ongoing. 40,000 Uber driver's, in the city, will lose their livelihood, many with heavy commercial leases on their vehicles.

Stubby79 09-22-2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JockoT (Post 550759)
TfL concluded the ride-hailing app firm was not fit and proper to hold a London private hire operator licence. It said it took the decision on the grounds of "public safety and security implications".

That's about how I look at it.

People think we're backwards for not having it here (much if at all), but I wouldn't use it. Taxi drivers are licensed, insured and accountable, at least.

jcp123 09-22-2017 05:37 PM

I take the opposite tack: it's micro-entrepreneurship at its best. The reputation system hooked up with rules for the age of cars, etc. plus self-interest in maintaining the revenue stream makes this IMHO fairly safe. Plus there's some liability indemnity on the company side; that varies a bit, though.

Don't want to chance it? Fair enough. I'm not going to argue otherwise; just don't use it. Voting with your dollars is great! But don't then strip away the option for others.

Baltothewolf 09-22-2017 09:04 PM

All I have to say is.

Those who give up a little freedom for a little security, deserve neither and will lose both.

oldtamiyaphile 09-22-2017 11:32 PM

As usual the UK press doesn't report the real reasons behind their move.

Stubby79 09-23-2017 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcp123 (Post 550784)
Don't want to chance it? Fair enough. I'm not going to argue otherwise; just don't use it. Voting with your dollars is great! But don't then strip away the option for others.

True enough. Others are welcome to do as they please, and I am free not to use such services.

The only ones I know of who complain that we don't have it are the amercian tourists when they arrive by the boatload - make that several boat loads at once - and then whine that we should have Uber so they don't have to wait for the taxis to catch up with the overload. Yeah, go to another country and then whine about how it needs to change for your selfish wants...that will really win you points with the locals. :rolleyes: Never cared one way or another about Uber until I saw that.

Anyway, pardon me if I feel no sympathy for Uber. I have no reason to.

JockoT 09-23-2017 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile (Post 550796)
As usual the UK press doesn't report the real reasons behind their move.

Which is?

Xist 09-23-2017 08:33 AM

Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as the Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows...

gone-ot 09-23-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 550814)
Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as the Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows...

...wearing their tin-foil hats, wearing solid black robes, chanting in Esperanto?

freebeard 09-23-2017 02:29 PM

Shhhh!!!

Uber, reviving old tactic, is backed by more than 500,000 in London row | Article [AMP] | Reuters

Quote:

(Reuters) - Half a million people have signed an online petition in under 24 hours backing Uber's bid to stay on the roads of London, showing the company is turning to its tried-and-tested tactic of asking customers for help when it locks horns with regulators.