EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Ultrasonic clothes dryer (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ultrasonic-clothes-dryer-34007.html)

Xist 06-27-2016 10:44 AM

Ultrasonic clothes dryer

I do not suppose I could DIY this: CNN: This ultrasonic dryer will dry your clothes in half the time - Jun. 21, 2016
This ultrasonic dryer will dry your clothes in half the time - Jun. 21, 2016[/url]

:)

The inventor is still working with General Electric on a full-sized prototype, but "expects the ultrasonic dryer will cost consumers as little as $500 and will cut down on the whopping $9 billion Americans spend to power their dryers every year." It is also supposed to dry twice as fast, without [slowly] shredding clothing.

You know, I have used clotheslines. They are not that bad. How about something like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-DMCZRlT17V...do-laundry.jpg
IHeart Organizing: UHeart Organizing: Five Tips to Line Dry Laundry Like A Pro

Here is another energy waster: Cable TV boxes become 2nd biggest energy users in many homes - LA Times

redpoint5 06-27-2016 11:16 AM

I don't line dry for the following reasons, in order of most significant to me:
  • Takes more time
  • Fades colors
  • Creates stiff feel
  • Rains half the time here

I've got a gas dryer, so my cost to dry is about half of an electric only dryer, and drying times are faster too.

As far as cable boxes go; people should have cut the cord a long time ago. There is plenty of broadcast TV and internet content to couch surf several lifetimes.

NeilBlanchard 06-27-2016 01:01 PM

Let's hope it comes to market soon, and that you cannot hear it. My spouse has very sensitive ears.

Xist 06-27-2016 01:08 PM

They say it is too high-frequency even for dogs.

I recently bought two HD antennae, although I do not think I can get one to work until I find the remote.

Wait!

I have an app for that!

I told it I have an RCA, it told me to hit the power button, my television turned on, it asked my ZIP, and showed me what is playing in my area!

Many of the stations do not come in at all, others are intolerable, and many of the rest are in Spanish.

I am using this one: GE Amplified Antenna - Walmart.com

It is supposed to have a forty-mile range and according to AntennaWeb.org there are twenty-three stations ten miles away.

Well, now I can watch "Hercules" (the TV show) in Spanish.

Great news! The "off" button works! :)

jamesqf 06-27-2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 517295)
Takes more time

So what's your hurry? Hang the clothes on the line, then go do something else for a while.

Quote:

Fades colors
Why would hanging clothes on a line fade colors more than hanging them on your body?

Quote:

Rains half the time here
Now that one I can understand :-)

redpoint5 06-27-2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 517309)
So what's your hurry? Hang the clothes on the line, then go do something else for a while.

It takes more time to hang cloths than to stuff them into the box that is sitting right next to the washer.

Quote:

Why would hanging clothes on a line fade colors more than hanging them on your body?
I avoid the sun as much as possible. Have you ever tried line drying? It fades cloths in just a few dryings. I remember having a hot pink shirt as a kid in the 80s, and it turned into a light pink in a matter of weeks when summer came and my mom started using the line.

Seriously, line drying sucks in so many ways.

NeilBlanchard 06-27-2016 01:45 PM

The advantages of clothes lines:

Uses zero fossil fuel energy.

Smells fresh.

I am looking forward to this ultrasonic dryer, because it is much more convenient than hanging out the clothes.

RustyLugNut 06-27-2016 02:59 PM

Interesting concept.

I am a proponent of vacuum drying.

I have a pressure/vacuum chamber with heaters in my shop for molding/degassing processes. I just put the heat on low and toss in a pile of damp clothes and hit the vacuum. A couple minutes later, the water has boiled out and all is dry!

Maybe an ultrasonic generator could add to the efficiency of a low pressure vacuum dryer resulting in a marketable appliance? Shoot, that's a good idea. And I just spilled it on the internet.

Xist 06-27-2016 10:40 PM

How do I pull vacuum in my dryer? :)

As I recall, Isaac Asimov had a Rolling Stones book where they painted bicycles and dried them outside.

Do you even call it "outside" when you are in space? :)

I think I read another story where they dried clothing in a vacuum, I think they skipped washing, the dirt supposedly just flaked off, and a good shake set it loose.

Frank Lee 06-27-2016 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 517322)
...add:

• Outdoor air contains LOTS of airborne pollens

I HATE outdoor air and sunshine and avoid them both at all costs.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...pslyvrvdtm.jpg

Plus, my clothes must be hung upside-down. Don't ask me why.