EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   US cars and trucks hit record gas mileage in 2012 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/us-cars-trucks-hit-record-gas-mileage-2012-a-27746.html)

darcane 12-12-2013 04:53 PM

US cars and trucks hit record gas mileage in 2012

US cars and trucks hit record gas mileage in 2012

23.6mpg average for all cars and trucks sold in 2012.

gone-ot 12-12-2013 05:28 PM

Bluntly, that's still rather PATHETIC, given what they TRULY could produce, if they'd do so.

Example, *why* is the GM "Eco-package" a SINGLE "model" and not something STANDARD on every vehicle?

This same question could be asked of Ford, and Fiat-Chrysler...and ALL the manufacturers?!?!

vskid3 12-12-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 402797)
Example, *why* is the GM "Eco-package" a SINGLE "model" and not something STANDARD on every vehicle?

This same question could be asked of Ford, and Fiat-Chrysler...and ALL the manufacturers?!?!

This. Most of those packages' gains are from improved aerodynamics. The changes are so small you probably couldn't find them all even with the normal and eco models sitting next to each other. Would be a cheap way for manufacturers to increase their averages.

niky 12-12-2013 11:10 PM

Not from their point of view.

The packages would eat too much into the thin margins they're accepting in order to keep the "record" sales at "record" pace.

They'd rather push entertainment and body-kit packages, which they charge a ton of mark-up on and make a bundle off of. People who would refuse to pay a few hundred for an aero-package would gladly spend thousands on big-arse rims.

redpoint5 12-13-2013 02:27 AM

Why is the manufacturer to blame? They merely produce what they think we the consumer will buy.

The consumer is to blame for not demanding more efficient vehicles and being willing to pay for them.

Further, the consumer is to blame for just generally sucking at driving efficiently. US fuel economy would go up 20% overnight if everyone gave some thought to their driving, as we do.

When I suggest driving intelligently in other car forums in topics that concern fuel economy, the most common reaction is that they can't be bothered, they bought the car for fun, or you gotta pay to play.

Xist 12-13-2013 08:45 AM

Yes, well, if you really want to save money, you very well might be driving efficiently and not purchasing new cars, so I am not sure that we are their main consumer. :)

elhigh 12-13-2013 09:29 AM

23.6. Not impressive.

In 1980 my dad's Citation - mock it if you will, I liked it - was rated a solid 30 hwy and hit it every time.

Our concurrent 1970 SAAB 96, rating unknown, would crack 40 on a long trip.

Granted my experience is limited but still - it looks to me that in 30 years we haven't gained much except weight.

elhigh 12-13-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 402855)
Why is the manufacturer to blame? They merely produce what they think we the consumer will buy.

The consumer is to blame for not demanding more efficient vehicles and being willing to pay for them.

Further, the consumer is to blame for just generally sucking at driving efficiently. US fuel economy would go up 20% overnight if everyone gave some thought to their driving, as we do.

When I suggest driving intelligently in other car forums in topics that concern fuel economy, the most common reaction is that they can't be bothered, they bought the car for fun, or you gotta pay to play.

The consumer is trained by a vigorous ad campaign to want more power, more luxury, more more more of everything BUT fuel economy. Fuel economy hasn't been a selling point since the 80s. Add in the enthusiast magazine reviews that decry any vehicle whose acceleration is slower than 9 seconds to 60 as "anemic" and you have a wildly skewed view of what is and isn't acceptable in a car. So yes, it's the consumer's fault for wanting thus-and-such, but what shaped those wants?

niky 12-13-2013 09:54 AM

It's a feedback cycle. Companies cater to customer wants. You can't convince people horsepower is cool unless they're already predisposed to like horsepower.

Look at Toyota, they've spent billions in marketing and development trying to convince people hybrids are cool. ROI took decades. Even with tax breaks from the government and help from Hollywood endorsements.

Look at the Big Three... all they have to do is slap a ton of luxuries onto ladder-framed vehicles powered by big engines and people snap them up so quickly they've ROI'd development costs in less time than it takes a teen pop-idol to go out of style.

oil pan 4 12-13-2013 12:04 PM

They have finely caught up to my 1980s and 90s diesel technology.