EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   US gas prices near 6 year lows: guess what that means for the forum! (Crickets) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/us-gas-prices-near-6-year-lows-guess-31411.html)

MetroMPG 03-01-2015 04:25 PM

US gas prices near 6 year lows: guess what that means for the forum! (Crickets)

1 Attachment(s)
If you have the impression that things are quiet around here lately, here's why:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1425244594

Forum activity tracks US fuel prices nearly perfectly. So I was not surprised that last month saw our lowest number of new member sign-ups & the lowest number of forum posts (not counting the first few months after we started).

But I'm not worried about it. It'll rebound -- it's the nature of the beast.

And we may have seen the "bottom" in fuel prices, as the chart suggests. Someone smart once said "the best cure for low prices is low prices".

Frankly, I kind of like it when it's quieter around here -- there's a better chance of keeping up on peoples' projects!

So thank you Saudi Arabia, Alberta and US shale oil production.

cowmeat 03-01-2015 04:28 PM

It means I practically stole an Insight last month! A year ago I'd have paid at least another thousand to fifteen hundred for the same car!

MetroMPG 03-01-2015 05:01 PM

Yessir, that's another upside! :D

I've missed out on three <$4k Priuses, 2nd gen. I'll nab one sooner or later!

ksa8907 03-01-2015 06:11 PM

I predict gas will be back to 3.25 by the end of may. Another huge benefit is we're saving around $200 per month on fuel.

Im building automated grille shutters for my senior project and i also ordered an under body panel that is missinf from my car. Hope to break into the 30mpg range this summer.

Insight for life 03-01-2015 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksa8907 (Post 469952)
I predict gas will be back to 3.25 by the end of may. Another huge benefit is we're saving around $200 per month on fuel.

Im building automated grille shutters for my senior project and i also ordered an under body panel that is missinf from my car. Hope to break into the 30mpg range this summer.

is gas still cheap in other parts of the country? I paid $3.37 for it here in California yesterday.

MetroMPG 03-01-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksa8907 (Post 469952)
Im building automated grille shutters for my senior project

Cool. Do you have a thread going on this?

ksa8907 03-01-2015 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 469957)
Cool. Do you have a thread going on this?

Not yet. I plan on doing a full write up with testing results when im done. A problem i see with effectiveness so far is that the design is to put it directly in front of the radiator. Ill need to seal the front end of air leaks.

War_Wagon 03-01-2015 11:57 PM

Gas is around $2 a gallon in the States? Man I need to find more pick ups and SUVs to export! Diesel trucks are always worth a lot down there, but with fuel that cheap, no wonder we've had so many people looking for F150s etc. In the year 2001, Ford sold 107 new F150s every minute, of every day, for the year. I see that happening again, manufacturers love selling trucks as they are crazy high profit vehicles, and with gas that cheap they'll be trying to get as many out the door as possible.

But then gas prices will spike, and sales will crash. And the whole time I wouldn't have cared because I drive a 25 year old Civic haha. Personally I enjoy being a part of this site because I like the ideas of being efficient, having nerdy old cars, and improving my driving. Old cars, hot rods and drag racing have always been things I really like, but this site shows you how to do things that are just, well, smart. I like saving money on gas, but I like not wasting the stuff, regardless of price, more. Just my 2 cents. :snail:

Piwoslaw 03-02-2015 12:03 AM

I've moved a few posts with gas prices (and no reference to forum activity) to another thread:
Fuel Prices

Xist 03-02-2015 01:07 AM

Was gas ever cheap in California?
I filled up four times for less than two dollars a gallon, the least that I paid before discounts was $1.699, although I saw it for cheaper. There is one station 27.6 miles away that is supposed to have gas for $1.999. PhoenixGasPrices says that was reported four hours ago. The next cheapest in the entire Phoenix Metropolitan area is twenty cents more and not necessarily any closer.
Well, I am going to see if I can get some $1.999 gas!