EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   USAF YF-12 (SR-71) reading! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/usaf-yf-12-sr-71-reading-29701.html)

gone-ot 08-10-2014 08:14 PM

USAF YF-12 (SR-71) reading!
 
Obviously, this document belongs here...somewhere!

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/p...main_YF-12.pdf

freebeard 08-10-2014 09:50 PM

I'm not sure why.

An adequate summary is Chapter Seven:Lessons Learned on page 43.

kach22i 08-10-2014 10:59 PM

Tufts on page 40.

Nice PDF, I've re-posted in another forum.

aerohead 08-11-2014 05:33 PM

blackbird
 
I felt fortunate to have 30-months around the YF-12A at Eddies Airplane Patch,pumping JP-7,some of it into the plane.:p

gone-ot 08-11-2014 08:57 PM

I'm a purple 115/145 AVGAS man, personally...

some_other_dave 08-12-2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 439512)
...pumping JP-7,some of it into the plane.:p

I'm told that, when standing still, the fuel just seeps out of the thing. Something about the way the panels fit to allow for heat expansion?

-soD

aerohead 08-12-2014 04:52 PM

purple
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 439565)
I'm a purple 115/145 AVGAS man, personally...

Young and dumb as some of were,we used the 115/145 for parts cleaner.My body fat is probably saturated with lead.:o

aerohead 08-12-2014 05:04 PM

seeps
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by some_other_dave (Post 439676)
I'm told that, when standing still, the fuel just seeps out of the thing. Something about the way the panels fit to allow for heat expansion?

-soD

I became a bit upset the first time I refueled the thing,and the crew chief was pretty amused when I went to a lot of trouble to get his attention and tell him that his bird was leaking.'one of those f n g moments.
He said that under flight conditions the things tightened up and sealed up 'n not to sweat it.
The guys in the spacesuits never seemed to be bothered by it,so I learned to relax around 'em.

gone-ot 08-12-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 439729)
Young and dumb as some of were,we used the 115/145 for parts cleaner.My body fat is probably saturated with lead.:o

We used it to "wipe-down" our planes after every flight so the engine mechanics could *see* IF and from WHERE the oil leaks were.

However, it DID leave a nice WHITE exhaust pipe in my '65 MG Midget and NEVER had any engine knock or ping (ha,ha).

euromodder 08-12-2014 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 439343)
Obviously, this document belongs here...somewhere!

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/p...main_YF-12.pdf

Air flowing forward @ supersonic speeds ... makes you wonder what air can't do !

Startled the NASA boys.


Blackbird air park, Palmdale :


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com