EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Using the power of pee in your hydrogen generator... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/using-power-pee-your-hydrogen-generator-11610.html)

suspectnumber961 12-30-2009 09:24 AM

Using the power of pee in your hydrogen generator...

The Toilet Than Can Help Solve Our Water and Energy Problems | | AlterNet

It turns out that urine -- the world's most abundant waste -- could become the "fuel of the future." Ohio University researcher Geradine Botte has developed a catalyst that can extract hydrogen fuel from urine. While it takes 1.23 volts to split two hydrogen atoms from H2O, it only takes 0.37 volts to strip four hydrogen atoms from a urea molecule. That's twice as much hydrogen for one-third the effort. The Royal Society of Chemistry's journal, Chemical Communications, confirms Botte's discovery: "While water is an increasingly limited essential resource," the journal notes, "there will never be a lack of urine."

Main issue would be amps used per L/minute HHO produced

Piwoslaw 12-30-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 (Post 150710)
a catalyst that [...] only takes 0.37 volts to strip four hydrogen atoms from a urea molecule.

Wow. Please do not smoke while peeing on the catalyst. I take it the catalyst is not something usually found in boyscout campfires?

Seriously: What is left over when urea loses 4 H atoms? Is it more/less toxic? How can it be disposed/recycled?

jamesqf 12-30-2009 11:18 AM

IIRC urea is CH4N2O, so a simple breakdown would give you hydrogen, nitrogen, and carbon monoxide.

But like most "something for nothing" stories, this glosses over a few minor problems, as for instance the fact that the average person doesn't output more than a few grams per day. It's also of far more value as a fertilizer, and in fact a lot is synthesized for that.

rgathright 12-30-2009 01:16 PM

The Japanese made a toilet that creates electricity years ago.

Funny, how we never saw this go into mass production. :confused:

Honestly, lazy Americans (if this is ever developed) will expect someone else to clean and maintain these systems. We cannot even product a plug in hybrid in North America, much less a Hydrogen powered one. Ha!

thatguitarguy 12-30-2009 01:22 PM

It seems like a lot of people would just like to piss on the whole idea. :D

rgathright 12-30-2009 02:02 PM

Sorry folks...

I didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade. :turtle:

thatguitarguy 12-30-2009 02:28 PM

I'm taking Howard Hughes' inspiration and starting my stockpile now. :eek:

Mustang Dave 12-30-2009 10:26 PM

What a pi$$er!:D

suspectnumber961 12-31-2009 03:51 AM

There was a guy claiming to be running a 1 cylinder engine off of urine about a year ago....had pics and showed his setup.

silverinsight2 12-31-2009 08:07 AM

If you gotta go, you gotta go first:)