EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Using Techron as a fuel additive... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/using-techron-fuel-additive-16579.html)

suspectnumber961 03-24-2011 08:03 AM

Using Techron as a fuel additive...

Have been running a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner....after refilling with around 6 gallons of gas and thus putting the concentration of Techron at 5.3 oz / 10 gallons...my most recent refill showed a 16% gain in mpg to 31.7 from 27.3 mpg. Only other changes were a new fuel filter (old one not clogged)...and 2 fuel line magnets*...slightly warmer weather.

Current cost for the Techron per 10G = $1.77...saving $4.46 per each 10 G...with gas at $3.39.

Would make some sense to use Techron at this concentration...so it will more than pay for itself?

LaPointe mentions using Techron at 3 oz/10G in addition to acetone/xylol/Gp7.

* These are not $20 ceramic magnets...they are $4 worth of neo magnets...2 placed in series....I move them from car to car...just in case they work. ;)

California98Civic 03-24-2011 08:32 AM

You remind me of CA40g, which has for several years made quite a market with its additive. Here are some of the company's posted test results:
CMH Industries, Inc. :: Fuel Consumption Test

gone-ot 03-24-2011 06:05 PM

...it's already *in* the Chevron gasoline at the pumps!

zonker 03-24-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 227653)
...it's already *in* the Chevron gasoline at the pumps!

yes, but smaller concentrations.

techron is actually good stuff. i'm a little skeptical on getting that kind of fuel savings though.

suspectnumber961 03-24-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 227531)
You remind me of CA40g, which has for several years made quite a market with its additive. Here are some of the company's posted test results:
CMH Industries, Inc. :: Fuel Consumption Test

I have what's left of a qt of CA40....big disappointment so far...big expense...but will test it in current car eventually.

suspectnumber961 03-24-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonker (Post 227655)
yes, but smaller concentrations.

techron is actually good stuff. i'm a little skeptical on getting that kind of fuel savings though.

That's the whole thing with additives...you need to get the concentration just right. With a 13.2 G tank...there was no gain with 12 oz in the tank...at ~ 9.1 oz/10G....but at 5.3 oz / 10 G I see a 16% gain.

Also changed the fuel filter and added fuel line magnets. The old filter wasn't clogged...most people don't think magnets work.

But both the tank refill and the Scangauge pretty much agree on the mpg result.

Could be it cleaned up the injectors...could be working as a combustion additive....might be both.

Will test the next 1/2 tank at around 1.9 oz/10G....if my math is right.

laack 03-24-2011 10:58 PM

snake oil... My assumption would be that the cleaner fuel system is what resulted in the increased mpg. That does however mean that the thechron did its job, its just not necessary to continue to use it on a regular basis. It may be just an old wives tale to use it for 3 consecutive tanks, Ive found 1-2 tanks max to be more than sufficient. I have driven old cars for years and only noticed an increase after its initial use. following that, my mpg is the same (slightly improved over pre-cleaner baseline) for consecutive tanks for thousands of miles to follow.

the biggest let down i ever had was the lube control fp plus. I cant say its technical benefits other than it did give an improvement in initial mpg as it cleaned (at least i believe it did) my injectors, etc.. My startups are faster and idle is smoother, however i now have a gallon of cleaner that does nothing more than remind me how much money i wasted. my mpg is unchanged with or with out the cleaner. Now before i ruin someones delusions about its effectiveness, I am well aware of the millions of variables that can alter the tank to tank average. That said, if i cant see a difference between a 3 tank average of continued use after its initial benefits its not worth it to continue.

that applies to all cleaners in my opinion. They are meant to clean the fuel system and that is it. If it added significant fuel efficiency in MPG why wouldn't big oil just add it and use it as an advertising gimmick to make it sound superior to the competition in order to charge a premium price.

Instead of wasting your money on additives, if state laws permit just buy gas from stations that don't add ethanol. That will be the best you can do for the quality of fuel and energy derived per gallon of gas. my personal favorite-Shell

Frank Lee 03-24-2011 11:13 PM

"+16%" raised an eyebrow; "LaPointe" caused a complete shutdown. :rolleyes:

suspectnumber961 03-25-2011 06:39 AM

I only report what I find...since I would hope others would too. What you do with the info....??

Interesting thing is that the tailpipe on this car is perfectly clean...other than some rust inside...no carbon...no deposits....run a finger over the inside and pickup nothing....yet I see a 16% mpg gain. I'm making use of the fuel before the cat gets it??????

Currently only ~ 20% over EPA mixed...whereas previous vehicles...one carbed/one early EFI both had carboned tailpipes but run at 30-33% better than EPA mixed.

Running at stoich and with cats doesn't always = best mpg?

Same year Honda with similar displacement, weight, and HP is EPA rated maybe 8-10 mpg more highway.

arcosine 03-25-2011 09:27 AM

Theoretically, the additive should increase gas mileage by 5.3/10/64*100=0.8%