Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2023, 02:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

New here with a 1995 Ford F800 Ambulance

Hello All,

I just recently came across this forum and love learning all about making vehicles more efficient. My current project is a 1995 Ford F800 Type I wheeled coach ambulance with a 5.9 L6 turbo diesel and I really love it, except it gets 5-8 mpg. I'm trying to make it into a mini camper thank I can live in full time, so that means a lot of modification. Currently installing solar to the roof and I was thinking about aerodynamics, I assume the solar panels will create a good amount of drag so I'm building a deflector for that. The biggest aero sin is the big ol'' flat surface where the cab meets the box, I'm looking for a good solution for a wind deflector that doesn't break the bank. I just don't know how to make a thing like that, how to shape it, fit it, and make sure is actually doing its intended job.

Also if anyone has had a similar project I would love to hear what you have come up with, really anything that could improve the vehicles efficiency I would be very eager to learn about.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-15-2023, 03:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Have you ever seen anything about the aerodynamic cowl fitted to Brazilian medium-duty Fords of that very same generation?
Old 03-15-2023, 04:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Welcome to Ecomodder. This is the thread that sorts to the top when you search on 'ambulance' in the upper left.

Ambulance Aero

Quote:
Currently installing solar to the roof and I was thinking about aerodynamics
How much solar are you thinking about, in kilowatt-hours? Unless you are buying used crystalline panels to save money, look to the flexible panels that are a fraction of an inch thin.

Reply  Post New Thread