EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModder Blog Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodder-blog-discussion.html)
-   -   Vehicle Efficiency Improvements (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/vehicle-efficiency-improvements-11130.html)

SVOboy 11-24-2009 08:51 AM

Vehicle Efficiency Improvements

I want to try to list steps that car makers could/should take to improve the fuel efficiency, in approximate order of cost: The most obvious improvement to cars, would be to mold the plastic on the front of the vehicle to be smooth and round, with grill openings that are sized (and placed) only as required [...] Related posts:
  1. Volkswagen GX3 Reverse Trike Concept Vehicle
  2. BMW Steps Up Luxury Fuel Efficiency Game with 57 MPG Diesel 3-Series
  3. One Global Emissions and Efficiency Regulation to Rule Them All

More...

bgd73 11-26-2009 04:32 PM

that is a long list to go through.. it seems your revolving around an inline four or other crazy low torqued engine.

my list to fix it?

1. add 3 main boxer. let the aero babble go to rest.

imagine only using 2% of fuels economy, and 1% of that is just getting an inline four to stop playing with itself.

aero is not the error, else we'd be shaped like wings to run, tress would not look like they are upside down, plants would have heavy buds in the earth...

energy is in the wrong place in other words....

My list is one think..fix the damn internal combustion engine once and for all.

cfg83 11-26-2009 05:31 PM

SVOboy -

I think there should should be a button or a rotating dial thingy on the dashboard for "eco mode" versus "performance mode". The cost to the manufacturer would be the control on the dashboard and R&D programming in the ECU/PCM. Might need a little more space for different fuel maps and programming. But, I suspect they have plenty of space in the computer to work with right now. This may also require multiple EPA MPG compliance tests. The idea is to be able to make the car palatable to the "I want more HP" buyer and the "I want a thrifty commuter-mobile" buyer at the same time.

CarloSW2

mcrews 11-26-2009 05:50 PM

CARLOSW2,

You make a good point, but out of the masses, how many would understand the button?
the prob;em that any manufacture has is the lowest common denominator consumer.

What seems obvious to us on this forum is not to the average consumer.

Certainly the newer FE models tend to have a 'sporty' appeal as opposed to the first econ-geek looking cars.

I'm sure that some engineer in deluth is cringing at a blocked grille!!!

Peter7307 11-26-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 141778)
SVOboy -

I think there should should be a button or a rotating dial thingy on the dashboard for "eco mode" versus "performance mode".

CarloSW2

I have that on my car now.

There is a "SPORT" option which alters the shift points on the (GM auto 4L60E) transmission and the injection cycle etc to give a more aggressive driving style.

When the button is "OFF" the normal mode is economy.

Also many makers now fit computers which "learn" the driver's main style of driving and adapt the engine / gearbox to suit.

Pete.

mcrews 11-26-2009 06:29 PM

:thumbup:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter7307 (Post 141782)
I have that on my car now.

There is a "SPORT" option which alters the shift points on the (GM auto 4L60E) transmission and the injection cycle etc to give a more aggressive driving style.

When the button is "OFF" the normal mode is economy.

Also many makers now fit computers which "learn" the driver's main style of driving and adapt the engine / gearbox to suit.

Pete.

I should have qualified my answer. My current car InfinitiQ45 also has a 'smart TCM' that learn haw I drive and adjust to my patterns. I give that one item credit for my initial good mpg.
There is also an information system that includes mpg information. also tire pressure which helps me because I dont have to get uot to check!!!!:thumbup:
My point was that to translate this down to the masses will reguire some work.

Also, I had the same button on my previous Toyota Avalon. I really could not tell the difference....

Mustang Dave 11-26-2009 09:46 PM

My parents' '86 Toyota Camry had an Economy/Power push-button switch on the dash. Their '98 Avalon has the same switch.

My "Economy/Power switch" is between my ears, and easily transferred from one vehicle to another. :)

Frank Lee 11-26-2009 10:21 PM

The one on the right is my econo/performance switch.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...-foot-feed.jpg

Christ 11-26-2009 10:45 PM

I use the one to the far left, too... have to use the right hand in tandem to switch between performance and fifth gear.

mcrews 11-26-2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 141821)
The one on the right is my econo/performance switch.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...-foot-feed.jpg

I'm callin BS, Frank Lee.

(I can't believe that I stick up for your good image.....redneck.....and you have CHROME pedals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused ::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused :)
edited after relooking at pic

Heck Frank Lee......you got CARPET and A MATCHING FLOORMAT