EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Which Vehicle for Short Distance Drives? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/vehicle-short-distance-drives-4158.html)

IBrakeForNobody 07-29-2008 07:04 PM

Which Vehicle for Short Distance Drives?

I have a choice between two vehicles...an 8 cylinder 5.4L black F-150 with an EPA estimate of 13/17 (when I got it in '99) and 12/15 (now), or my brand new 2008.5 white Mazda3 with a 2.3L 4 cylinder with a 5 speed automatic, EPA estimate of 22/29. I sometimes have to do short trips (less than five miles) in a vehicle (normally I bike), so I was wondering which vehicle I should take.

The F-150 is parked outside in the sun, and right now, it's averaging 100 degree daytime highs. The Mazda3 is parked in the garage where it's about 80 degrees or less. The hood of the F-150 is about 160 degrees, and the engine compartment is about 120 degrees. So my question is, would it be more efficient to take my F-150 for less-than-three-mile drives rather than the Mazda because the engine is essentially half-way preheated?

NeilBlanchard 07-29-2008 07:23 PM

Hi,

I would drive the Mazda -- warm up time is proportional, and I'm pretty sure you'll use less gas with the Mazda; no matter what the length of the trip.

whokilledthejams 07-29-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 48902)
Hi,

I would drive the Mazda -- warm up time is proportional, and I'm pretty sure you'll use less gas with the Mazda; no matter what the length of the trip.

I agree. That seems to be the common-sense answer. A scangauge could provide a definitive answer, however.

azraelswrd 07-29-2008 10:21 PM

How long/far does it take for the Mazda to warm up?

I know in my xA that it doesn't take very long to go from the mid 80s to the optimal 184F in warm daytime hours, but it does use a "forced" anti-OD that prevents it from downshifting until its warmer than 140F. Grill blocking accelerates the warming as well.

SVOboy 07-29-2008 10:23 PM

Seems like you got my biking suggestion pre-covered, :)

I would take the mazda.

Red 07-29-2008 10:39 PM

I'd take the Mazda

slurp812 07-29-2008 10:44 PM

Mazda, I would use the truck when its necessary to haul something, otherwise it would be parked...

Z man 07-30-2008 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azraelswrd (Post 48979)
How long/far does it take for the Mazda to warm up?

I know in my xA that it doesn't take very long to go from the mid 80s to the optimal 184F in warm daytime hours, but it does use a "forced" anti-OD that prevents it from downshifting until its warmer than 140F. Grill blocking accelerates the warming as well.

Yeah I hate the cold engine not upshifting!

Mazda3's are awesome, use it.

cfg83 07-30-2008 04:17 AM

IBrakeForNobody -

Mazda (again). Can you park it outside in the sun? Hmmmm, I guess I wouldn't want to if my car were new.

If you had an old beater, maybe painting the hood black would help warm it up a bit.

CarloSW2

IBrakeForNobody 08-04-2008 02:12 AM

Mazda it is. I just ordered a ScanGuage, so it'll be interesting to see any differences.

Cfg- yeah, I always park my new car in the garage. The only time I park the car outside is if I drive somewhere, come home, and I plan on driving somewhere else in the same day. Then I don't park in the garage so I don't have to use the electricity to open and close the garage door (I found out that sometimes I'd go in and out of the garage 8 times a day), and more so that I don't have to get a new spring for the garage door mechanism. I used to open and close the garage so much that a spring lasted about 1-2 years before it would wear out and snap. :eek: