EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   vehicle for tall driver (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/vehicle-tall-driver-34113.html)

talldriver 07-24-2016 10:58 AM

vehicle for tall driver

Here's the whole deal, I went form almost no commute to a just under 30 mile commute. Been driving a chevy venture van and getting 20-25 mpg. Looks like the headgasket is going at 180k. So I'm looking for something with decent gas mileage, that can be modded to get even better. My problem is i'm six five, i'm fairly balanced as that height is divided evenly between legs and back. But my main problem is i do have some back/hip issues. I can't have a vehicle that sits low to the ground. I also have some carpal tunnel issues so a manual is iffy depending on the vehicle. my drive is half hills, half flat. Any ideas on vehicles to look at would be appreciated. Am on a pretty tight budget at the moment. Older cars are fine, i do alot of maintanence on my own vehicles.

ChazInMT 07-24-2016 12:08 PM

People seem to have had some luck modding the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe. Not sure of the seating, but I know they are one of those "It's a lot bigger than it looks" cars. Just perused the Florida Craigslist and prices start at $1,500 for a high miles/needs work. Looks like $2,700 and up for a drive it now rig. I'm 6'2" with a 30" inseam pant size, so I need head room and my Honda Civic 2004 gives me that. I love how it drives and it gets pretty good mileage. Can't speak for the leg room.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Daschicken 07-24-2016 10:21 PM

I can't really offer any specific vehicle options, but I can offer a suggestion: Avoid cars with Sunroofs. The sunroof on my accord takes away 2.1" of headroom in the front, as compared to a sunroofless accord.

mcrews 07-24-2016 10:25 PM

I am 6'3" and drive a 2006 Kia Sportage. (only gets about 26mpg on the raod)
BUT it has a TON of head room! I can wear a cowboy hat and not hit the roof.
Also it is easy to get into.

Big Dave 07-25-2016 10:34 AM

Can't beat a Ford Super Duty for room. I sit like a guy who is 6'10" and I have at least four inches clearance.

My F-350 diesel has been modded and I get 25-28 MPG all the time.

Ryland 07-25-2016 06:51 PM

My brother just bought a Toyota Matrix, it's very upright, easy to get into, plenty of had room and nice cargo space.

Xist 07-26-2016 04:45 AM

6'2", 36" inseam, and drive a 2000 Civic.

When I was in Basic, the Drill Sergeant told me to pull up my dress pants. I had people make fun of me for not sagging my pants, but never thought I would wear them too low!

I hope you find something that works well for you. I hope I did not distract too much.

RedDevil 07-26-2016 05:07 AM

Honda Fits seat upright with plenty of headroom and get decent economy.
There are Fit owners on this forum that have done some mild modding.

talldriver 07-26-2016 09:21 AM

Thank you all for some really good suggestions! Got busy the last few days after the first post so i didn't get a chance til now to read them. Definately gonna look up all your ideas and see what's available in my area.

elhigh 07-26-2016 11:51 AM

I'm not especially tall at 5'10" but in my Forester there's a stratosphere of headroom above me. And getting out is super easy. That's a '98, newer ones drive higher but I don't know what the headroom is like inside. Stay away from first-gen Foresters.

I took a first-gen xB for a test drive and it was like sitting inside a garden shed. It has a ridiculous amount of headroom inside and unlike a Forester, they can be teased into pretty good fuel economy. There's at least one first-gen xBox that delivers in the middle 40s. It stands fairly tall too, so getting in and out is, again, pretty comfortable.