Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 04:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Miata - '93 Mazda Miata
90 day: 34.79 mpg (US)
Miata intro

Hello everyone!

I've tried to drive slower but my right foot has never lasted a whole tank.
28mpg all time best

I'm planning on getting lower resistance tires. I'm just not sure which brand/type.
wheels are 14x5.5

Last edited by WheresMyGas; 07-02-2008 at 06:37 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I think the ponteza re92s are the best lrrs out there. Welcome to ecomodder!
Old 07-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
You should be able to milk significantly more mileage out of that car.. I'm hoping it's a manual There is a wealth of information in the 100+ driving tips... but I can tell you right now the #1 thing you could do. If you are anything like I was before I started hypermiling, I loved that low-level torque that that light little miata undoubtedly has - I used to have a subaru impreza, and that thing took off. Stop that. You don't necessarily have to start accelerating slower(you'll have to eventually), but I found the best way to save gas was to shift at the LOWEST possible RPM your car can handle without rattling itself to death (stalling). I shift at about 1800rpms, but start off doing it at 2000 maybe... it takes a little skill to walk that line. Hopefully doing this if you don't already will significantly improve your mileage. Oh, and try going the speed limit on the highway. I was surprised at how better my mileage got when I actually obeyed the speed limit (now I go 55-60 on highways even)

Welcome
Old 07-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Miata - '93 Mazda Miata
90 day: 34.79 mpg (US)
Thanks.

Yes it's a 5 speed although I don't feel that much low level torque unless I'm still in first gear at higher rpms. I've tried shifting at 2,000 rpms but that only works if I'm accelerating at a crawl. I'm more comfortable with 2,500rpm-3k shifts(which I do 'most' of the time).

55-60mph feels odd around here when everyone is doing 65-80. I'll try out the next tank.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
You're right.... at first it's kind of weird driving in especially a city setting, but you'd be surprised how efficiently you can drive and still not pi55 other drivers off. Just give it a try for one tank to see how efficient you get. As for the highway, that right lane was designed for you. If you feel like "hey, I paid for this road, and I can go as fast as I want on it" (within moderation), meaning you should be able to speed (I agree with this), then that same attitude affords you the right to go as slow as you want within moderation. You're just pushing the other end of the envelope going as slow as possible. I've found that audio books help the weird feeling of going what seems like ridiculously slow. Your wallet will eventually thank you.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Welcome to ecomodder.com

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 11-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well, awesome! Have you ever tried weighing you're 14" steelies? Or do you have daises or something?
A hard top may be a good addition for aero, but I can't be sure.
I'd look into aluminum ones, there is a 7-spoke hollow spoke design that is one of the lightest out there. you can find these by noticing on the back of the spoke there is material taken off, making a spoon shape on the inside.
You could switch your 5speed for a more fuel-friendly 6speed, which also has a better power holding capacity. The 6's can be temperamental, but the close ratios are good. I average about 28-30mpg in my Mazdaspeed, and my personal best was 32mpg. Thats per tank. I drove 57miles one way to work every day, and only 2 miles city each way. So with 4 miles city, 114miles hwy, I had a good opportunity for mileage.
Do you know what rear end ratio you have? The lowest I know of is a 3.90 that is easily available.
You can also remove a ton of weight from a miata, and it is well documented in many sites. I notice you have a great year, the 93, which means you buck the 89-90-91's crank problem, but keep one of the lightest years and smallest engines avail, the 89-93. The 1990's dash is almost 10lbs lighter, so you could swap that in for some savings... Actually, read Keiths article on his car, he did some amazing lightening.
Targa Miata
and there is this fellow too, a very smart man.
Red Beast - Lightweight Miata
the main focus sites for miata's are Miata.net and miataturbo.net, with clubroadster.net being a bit more of a visual mod site.

Anyway, I'm getting carried away, good luck!

Oh, well my project right now is an underpan for my car to improve top end speed, acceleration, and as a bonus, mpg. I would also like autokonexion's kamback style roof, but its much too much money. Good luck! AGAIN!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cinco The Miata - '90 Mazda Miata
Team Mazda
Sports Cars
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Oscar Wilde - '02 Honda Metropolitan
Motorcycle
90 day: 94.9 mpg (US)
Hello from a fellow Miata hypermiler. Did you ever make any mods that improved your MPG's?

Reply  Post New Thread