Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Virtual Wind Tunnel

So in my search over the past few days I have found no commercially available virtual wind tunnel software. I don't have the funds to pay for PowerFLOW, I have tried some OpenFOAM stuff but it seems like I need to spend weeks using the program before I could even begin to construct some sort of wind tunnel design. Do you guys know of any software that is not an entire CFD package, but more geared toward strictly aerodynamics problems? I have no need for heat transfer, mass transfer, or what have you that comes with most open source CFD packages. I just want something to import a CAD model, and allow me to see some resulting stream lines...

Arg!

Thanks ahead of time

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockorager View Post
So in my search over the past few days I have found no commercially available virtual wind tunnel software. I don't have the funds to pay for PowerFLOW, I have tried some OpenFOAM stuff but it seems like I need to spend weeks using the program before I could even begin to construct some sort of wind tunnel design. Do you guys know of any software that is not an entire CFD package, but more geared toward strictly aerodynamics problems? I have no need for heat transfer, mass transfer, or what have you that comes with most open source CFD packages. I just want something to import a CAD model, and allow me to see some resulting stream lines...

Arg!

Thanks ahead of time
This came up over at maxmpg and the suggestion was to contact the university teams participating in the North American Solar Challenge.Many of the universities lack wind tunnel facilities and must rely on CFD to develop their cars.Some of these schools could maybe turn you on to an economical aero program without all the whistles and bells.Worth a try.Good luck!