EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Video:CHEVROLET VOLT (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/video-chevrolet-volt-1747.html)

H4MM3R 04-07-2008 08:12 AM

Video:CHEVROLET VOLT

Wind tunnel test of the VOLT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_8uF8QKfeI

Otto 04-07-2008 08:52 AM

The aerodynamics would be better if they did not have those big recessed divots in the nose. Have you ever seen a modern airplane with such recessed cavities? Me neither.

thebrad 04-07-2008 11:44 AM

They're trying a different approach to hybrid/energy efficient cars.
It caters to the masses with it's design, I've had numerous conversations with my friends over this, most would own a Volt over a Prius because it looks more like a "normal car". I on the other hand find it too aggressive, but everyone's entitled to their opinion. I think anyone can agree it's a step in the right direction for bumbling GM.:thumbup:

Otto 04-07-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebrad (Post 18310)
They're trying a different approach to hybrid/energy efficient cars.
It caters to the masses with it's design, I've had numerous conversations with my friends over this, most would own a Volt over a Prius because it looks more like a "normal car". I on the other hand find it too aggressive, but everyone's entitled to their opinion. I think anyone can agree it's a step in the right direction for bumbling GM.:thumbup:

That makes sense. The car looks like some sort of ******* Hummer/Escalade/Viper/Stealth aimed at the wannabe/macho/pimp crowd.

That's a shame, as good lines make good aerodynamics, per an old flier's maxim. Perhaps they should have farmed out the stylistics to Pininfarina or one of the good California design studios with a fresher perspective than common in Detroit. But, that's just my opinion, and the market may think otherwise.

MetroMPG 04-07-2008 06:11 PM

I'm very happy to read that the designers are moderating on the car's design, in terms of aero. The car show concept was an aero disaster - which GM has since admitted.

We've seen with vehicles like the new Merc C class eco version, that decent Cd (.25) is possible without deviating far from what the average consumer considers "normal".

I'd like to see GM try to unseat the Prius' Cd of .26 - sparking an "aero competition" among automakers for the lowest Cd of a mass production car available in N.A.

Otto 04-07-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 18338)
I'm very happy to read that the designers are moderating on the car's design, in terms of aero. The car show concept was an aero disaster - which GM has since admitted.

We've seen with vehicles like the new Merc C class eco version, that decent Cd (.25) is possible without deviating far from what the average consumer considers "normal".

I'd like to see GM try to unseat the Prius' Cd of .26 - sparking an "aero competition" among automakers for the lowest Cd of a mass production car available in N.A.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that 4 or 5 guys on this forum could trim the Volt's CD to Prius (or lower) levels, in a weekend.

H4MM3R 04-07-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 18338)

Well said:thumbup:

Arminius 04-07-2008 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 18350)
I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that 4 or 5 guys on this forum could trim the Volt's CD to Prius (or lower) levels, in a weekend.

That's my plan when I get one.

MetroMPG 04-08-2008 12:36 AM

Aha:

Quote:

We did learn that GM tested a full size Prius in their wind tunnel and found their numbers were different from Toyotas and that the production Volt is now showing nearly identical numbers, which represents a 30% improvement over the concept Volt.
So the Prius is a benchmark. Good!

This is from an EV World article: http://www.evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=1428

Also:

Quote:

As GM designers explained it, trying to make room for that middle fifth seat would have forced them to raise the roof, disrupting the car's finely tuned but still evolving co-efficient of drag, which is "somewhere south of 0.30" according to VP of Product Development John Lauckner
And

Quote:

As for selling the cars, there will be none of the leasing games GM played with the EV1. You pay your cash, you own your car, period.

Coyote X 04-08-2008 01:15 AM

I thought it was interesting that when the smoke was above the car it came off the back clean but when it went under the car it went straight up the back bumper with lots of turbulence.

I wonder if that is typical for cars. If the top typically has a lot better airflow off the back than the bottom?