Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Project Tow10k (severely aeromodded pickup)

I posted (not necessarily by accident since step one is aero) more on this under Aerodynamics http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...mod-25027.html because the first barrier i'm looking at is deciding what kind of body to begin with, this will cover some of the same material but also more general/not specific to the aeromod. I'm seeking general feedback on the rest of the project though so perhaps it's appropriate to focus more on that here.

I posted before asking about trying to get something like a Caprice or El Camino to tow closer to 10,000lbs - people (perhaps wisely) panned the idea as marginal since even 1/2 tons seem iffy about handling those weights most of the time despite optimistic manufacturer ratings, and after realizing the long list of things which would have to essentially be upgraded (rollcage to stiffen frame, HD suspension parts, brakes) i'd end up with something of possibly marginal legal validity (an accident while towing would probably disregard my engineering modifications and assessment) which essentially rides like a truck when i'm done.

So i'm deciding to pursue the opposite - start with a truck this time, and explore different options for aerodynamics to include the option of simply putting a fullsize aero car body on the pickup frame, then taken further with aeromods to that, and engine/transmission modifications so that I can leave the frame, axles, suspension, brakes and legal validity of what i'm claiming to tow behind me alone.

The goals of my project are fairly simple:
- Have a vehicle which can safely handle towing at least 10,000lbs. Safety will not be compromised, planning to use a 3/4 ton pickup chassis at least, possibly even HD/superduty type.
- Though capable of towing 10k lbs, this is not a full time tow vehicle, this is an intermittent tow vehicle. It will either spend at least half it's time deadheading (things like rented trailers or one way trips) or running empty flatbeds or being able to be used as a second vehicle. Whether periodically moving two cords of hardwood, or being capable of towing heavy vehicle dollies to move the heaviest of pickups and 4x4's if broken down, or one way deliveries of travel trailers, none of these things will be common or routine. Alot of this is opportunistic tow - done for friends as needed for side cash or because an opportunity presents itself. Therefore towing performance may be compromised for greater economy when unladen or lightly laden.
- Budget is very important, this wont be some 2000up pickup with the latest 6 speed auto and a $10,000 diesel option in it. Doing more with less will be the goal - it wont attain world beating mpg figures using older tech, but I hope for a radical improvement over the chassis it's based off, and still better figures than a brand new tow rig would set you back for. The hope is to have decades old technology costing a few thousand all in turn 30mpg unladen and better figures laden than a brand new tow rig primarily due to aeromodding truck and trailer.

What i'm thinking at the moment is one of two ideas, either stick a Chevy Caprice body onto a pickup frame from somewhere in the 80's and 90's then aeromod that further, or use a 1997-2004 10th gen ford F250 chassis but with the body pieces from or inspired by the F150 lightning (0.36 coefficient of drag) then modded further like with a whaletail, skirts and such.

Some kind of diesel would be the motivator at least eventually/possibly after aeromodding first, preferring older indirect injection models because of a plan to use straight vegetable oil in the future if certain tests in that direction work out. 130-200hp would be considered fully adequate, if it can only tow 10,000lbs up a 7% grade at 40mph that's fine - tows through the rockies would be so rare I wouldn't be bothered to compromise normal mileage for that. The main way I hope to have the leverage to move heavy weight and steep overdrives to cruise barely above idle without a $6000 transmission is to use a homebrew range box for shifting between different modes of operation, probably one giving 0.50:1, 1:1 and 2:1.

If you have any cool suggestions or ideas, feel free to share either in this thread (more for the mechanical and some chassis discussion) or the aero thread (for the aerodynamic modding discussion) while it's still in the planning stages while it's easy to change direction still.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread