EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Warm up engine before driving? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/warm-up-engine-before-driving-37150.html)

nemo 12-30-2018 08:41 PM

Warm up engine before driving?

Another article confirming what we know. The best way to warm up is by driving.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-harms-engine/

"We asked Volvo, which conducts cold-weather testing in the Arctic, whether their new cars need any sort of warmup, and the answer was an ever-so-slightly qualified no. According to Volvo, "It’s best to just give the engine a few seconds to build oil pressure before driving normally. Good oil quality and condition are crucial for protecting the engine in cold start conditions." "

Stubby79 12-31-2018 02:38 AM

I let my engine warm up...for as long as it takes to scrape off the windows; under a minute usually. Engine isn't as sluggish and the defog is just starting to kick in.

Sometimes is isn't enough and even if I wipe the window down, it fogs up again in moments. But it defogs within a minute if it's had the time it takes to scrape the ice off to warm up already. Can be pretty sketchy at times and sometimes requires pulling over to deal with it.

Doesn't get below freezing most of the time, so idling is not usually a big issue. But it doesn't get well below freezing where the air dries out either, so foggy windows are a regular issue. Sometimes makes me wish my DD had A/C...

California98Civic 12-31-2018 09:18 AM

I am in a very mild climate. They very coldest mornings in my neighborhood are in the low 30s *F. Most January mornings are high 30s or low 40s (*F). I "warm up" in two stages and both are while moving. My very slow backup out of my one car-length, short driveway, and then downhill on the bluff road (in neutral). The first warm up cannot be avoided, and th second is mainly for the catalytic converter, which I want hot enough to burn efficiently before I start much hypermiling.

slowmover 12-31-2018 11:01 AM

Plug in year round.

Hersbird 12-31-2018 01:37 PM

I'm evil, I just put a remote start on the minivan for my wife. Pretty cool $125, took 20 mins, plug and play, uses the factory keyless just push lock 3 times. We have a big garage but it's downstairs on the lower driveway and she has a bad knee so likes to park in the upper driveway by the front door. I'm thinking of building a carport there but otherwise the remote start is nice in Montana. Even 10 mins, 5 days a week is what 3/10 of a gallon? Happy wife, happy life.

nemo 12-31-2018 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stubby79 (Post 587417)
I let my engine warm up...for as long as it takes to scrape off the windows; under a minute usually. Engine isn't as sluggish and the defog is just starting to kick in.

Sometimes is isn't enough and even if I wipe the window down, it fogs up again in moments. But it defogs within a minute if it's had the time it takes to scrape the ice off to warm up already. Can be pretty sketchy at times and sometimes requires pulling over to deal with it.

Doesn't get below freezing most of the time, so idling is not usually a big issue. But it doesn't get well below freezing where the air dries out either, so foggy windows are a regular issue. Sometimes makes me wish my DD had A/C...

AC sure works good for defogging the windows. Was up north in October hard frost overnight after it had rained had to scrape the windshield on the rental, first time in a can't remember how long. Used basically your technique.

nemo 12-31-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 587421)
I am in a very mild climate. They very coldest mornings in my neighborhood are in the low 30s *F. Most January mornings are high 30s or low 40s (*F). I "warm up" in two stages and both are while moving. My very slow backup out of my one car-length, short driveway, and then downhill on the bluff road (in neutral). The first warm up cannot be avoided, and th second is mainly for the catalytic converter, which I want hot enough to burn efficiently before I start much hypermiling.

99% of the time my car gets backed in. We get one or two days out of the year in the 40s.

nemo 12-31-2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hersbird (Post 587452)
I'm evil, I just put a remote start on the minivan for my wife. Pretty cool $125, took 20 mins, plug and play, uses the factory keyless just push lock 3 times. We have a big garage but it's downstairs on the lower driveway and she has a bad knee so likes to park in the upper driveway by the front door. I'm thinking of building a carport there but otherwise the remote start is nice in Montana. Even 10 mins, 5 days a week is what 3/10 of a gallon? Happy wife, happy life.

Happy wife isn't that an oxymoron. lol

ThermionicScott 01-01-2019 03:59 AM

The author of the article gets it wrong about carbureted engines -- even those were better off driven than idled to warm up. VW manuals said to drive off right away long before they got fuel injection. :)

Daschicken 01-01-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 587485)
The author of the article gets it wrong about carbureted engines -- even those were better off driven than idled to warm up. VW manuals said to drive off right away long before they got fuel injection. :)

The thing about carbureted engines is that sometimes you CAN'T drive off right away. Well behaved carbs will let you drive off right away, but sometimes carbs kill the engine just touching the throttle if it is cold and the choke isn't set right.