EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Events & Meet-ups (https://ecomodder.com/forum/events-meet-ups.html)
-   -   Watkins Glen, NY, "Green Grand Prix" Sat May 2, 2009; fuel economy competition & show (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/watkins-glen-ny-green-grand-prix-sat-may-7961.html)

MetroMPG 04-16-2009 11:50 PM

Anyone interested? Welcome To The Official Green Grand Prix Web Site

UPDATE - May 5 / 09: EcoModder members had fun and kicked some butt (efficiently) at the competition & exhibition. Jump ahead to entry #49 where the post-competition discussion, photos & analysis starts.

SVOboy 04-17-2009 12:13 AM

I want to go, Darin! Pick me pick me!

If we get at least 5 ecomodders in the competition the winner of us five gets a free shirt!!!

tasdrouille 04-17-2009 07:10 AM

Would have loved too, but it's in two weeks! With the familly, comes spring almost every weekend is booked two months in advance.

Wonderboy 04-17-2009 08:57 AM

YES. That is such a short drive :D, I'm so in, that.... yeah. I'll go.

Is there any way to muscle ecomodder in as educational? ;) I want to make sure that if I pay $50 that it was a last resort. We are about saving money here too, right!?

MetroMPG 04-17-2009 10:39 AM

It's a one-day event: time/speed/distance rally OR fuel economy run in the morning, followed by show/exhibits etc in the afternoon.

Tas - I agree, the timing isn't great, and the notice too short (my fault on that part). People are still coming out of hibernation & this event feels too early in the season!

But it looks like I'm not going to be able to make it to Geopalooza later this summer so I thought it might be a chance for some of us in the region to get together.

MetroMPG 04-17-2009 10:40 AM

Wonderboy: the competition is optional - you can come for the exhibits only, if it's too much $ (not sure if there's admission for the exhibits).

Also, I think the entry fee gets you a meal or two and a t-shirt or two (I think - check their site).

I don't mind paying the fee - takes time & money for them to organize such a thing.

SVOboy 04-17-2009 12:31 PM

Wonderboy -

I've been talking to the organizer and he says the more people we can round up from EM the less we'll have to pay! :)

So bring your friends.

Blue07CivicEX 04-17-2009 03:59 PM

HAD to be 2 weeks before my wedding didn't it? bah!!

SVOboy 04-17-2009 05:30 PM

Bring your fiancee!

Blue07CivicEX 04-17-2009 10:02 PM

Lol, too much wedding/moving stuff going on :-( maybe another time!

Christ 04-20-2009 12:36 AM

Thanks for the redirect SVO -

I think I'd like to show up, but will we be meeting somewhere "outside the gates" at a specific time for a group rate or something? Or will it be a "I'm with them" sort of thing?

I'm not really able to join the competitions, but I"d love to go see the exhibits, and it might be a good stress reliever for my wife, and a kick in the pants for my dad to start thinking a little more green in an attempt to save some green. (I find quite often that the two go hand in hand.)

SVOboy 04-20-2009 12:39 AM

We can probably say "I'm with them."

I haven't worked out the deal yet with darin about what hotel and junk we'll be staying in, but we should be able to contact the organizer and tell him who is part of the EcoModder posse.

Christ 04-20-2009 12:41 AM

Sweetness. I'm going to look further into it tomorrow and the next day, to make sure it's something that everyone can enjoy, but it's a preliminary "yes" for myself.

MetroMPG 04-20-2009 09:03 AM

More info on the competition from the organizers, FYI:

Quote:

Categories of Competition

(award presented for winner in each class)

1. 26 mpg and under

2. 27-32 mpg.

3. 33- 38 mpg

4. 39-44 mpg.

5. 45 -50 mpg

6. 2 wheeled vehicles

7 3 wheeled vehicles

8. Trucks

9. Vans

10. Other (includes vehicles that are now out of production such as Geo Metro and original Honda insight)

We will add a “modified” category for each of the first five categories. You must have a vehicle that is licensed and registered for road use. Lights, horn, spare tire. If you will not have a passenger, you will have to carry ballast of 120 lbs.
All vehicles will top off tanks before the event and after the event. We have monitors at the gas station..Entry fee will depend on how many “modifieds” you have.

The CATEGORIES of competition are based on EPA combined Highway/ City ratings.
So lets say you have a Toyota Camry Hybrid that the EPA says should get 34 mpg highway and you put a station wagon tail on it. You would be placed in the modified category for xlass 3 : cars who's normal rating is 33- 38 mpgs.
Of all modified cars in that class, whoever get the best gas mileage in our 80 mile trip around the lake wins.
This will be timed . You must average no more than 10% slower than the posted speed limit or you will be penalised.
Ironically, since the results are based on a short fill, the odds of a fill error affecting the results increase for the most efficient vehicles.

Wonderboy 04-20-2009 09:48 AM

So should those interested hold off on registering until the day of, or just put ecomodder.com in the "business" field? I don't want to miss out on signing up.

McTimson 04-20-2009 11:22 AM

This is so tempting... if it weren't a week before finals, I would definitely do it.

I'm debating whether or not to go, I'll have to see what my workload is going to look like that weekend.

Wonderboy 04-20-2009 05:03 PM

I found an elevation mapping overlay for google maps. The most direct route around the lake is via larger main roads with an exception for the road between Willard and roughly Caywood. Here the main road diverts through Ovid and Lodi (One of the bigger finger lakes wineries, Lamoreaux Landing falls in this leg of the route, FYI). The main roads here are obviously graded more gently and gradually. I have no idea what the official route will be, but I suspect it will be one of these:

The more direct route

The main road route

I arbitrarily made the map start northward from the starting point, but whether this will be the case is anyone's guess. In this case just read the graph backwards :p. I personally hope for north given all the long gentle downward inclines a clockwise trip would yield, as I'd much rather climb short steep hills than long inclines.

Wonderboy 04-22-2009 09:32 AM

Bumped for my question in post 15

Quote:

So should those interested hold off on registering until the day of, or just put ecomodder.com in the "business" field? I don't want to miss out on signing up.

blownb310 04-26-2009 01:40 PM

This sounds great. I'm in for next Saturday as part of "Team Ecomodder" ;)

Weather permitting, I'll be driving my Datsun B210.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...EconomyRun.jpg

I'm just going to print off the entry form and bring it with me to registration in the am. I'm in for whatever discount Team Ecomodder can come up with.

Mike Kamm

SVOboy 04-26-2009 02:15 PM

Sweet! Glad to see you there.

I believe the guy told us just to show up and we'll pay the registration when we get there individually.

Only $25 a pop if I remember correctly, so that's quite a good bit of savings.

Hope to see you all there! Ecomodder, taking on the world.

blownb310 04-26-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 100530)
Sweet! Glad to see you there.

I believe the guy told us just to show up and we'll pay the registration when we get there individually.

Only $25 a pop if I remember correctly, so that's quite a good bit of savings.

Hope to see you all there! Ecomodder, taking on the world.

That's terrific.

If there is anyone who is going solo like I am and would like to share the expense of a motel room on Friday night, send me a pm. I'm a middle aged, married, non smoker, and I don't snore. :D

Mike

MetroMPG 04-26-2009 08:35 PM

Mike: want to go in on a room with Ben & I?

I also don't snore. No idea about Ben. (We can kick him out if he does.)

blownb310 04-26-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 100573)
Mike: want to go in on a room with Ben & I?

I also don't snore. No idea about Ben. (We can kick him out if he does.)

Sounds good to me! It will be great to meet you guys too. If it hasn't already been done, I can call and get some rates. I don't have AAA for a discount or anything though.

99LeCouch 04-26-2009 10:05 PM

Darn! If this were a few weeks later I'd be up visiting family in the Elmira-Corning area and would gladly compete!

Whatever you do, stop by Jerlando's Pizza in Watkins Glen for a slice and some garlic knots. It's among the best pizzas in the Finger Lakes.

blownb310 04-26-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99LeCouch (Post 100596)
Whatever you do, stop by Jerlando's Pizza in Watkins Glen for a slice and some garlic knots. It's among the best pizzas in the Finger Lakes.

Sounds like a plan for Friday night!

blownb310 04-27-2009 11:36 PM

I've made a few more tweaks to my B210. I've installed the tallest final drive Datsun had available for my car [3.54], filled it with synthetic gear oil, removed the 175/70R13's and mounted a set of 155/80R13's, and will lower the suspension this week as well. I bought 100% pure gasoline [no ethanol] and will be using it in the contest. I'd really like a set of those 13" Moon disc style wheel covers but am running out of time. Boy they'd sure look the part though. :D

Here are a few interesting details about this event:

Cars will be released from the Glen Motor Inn 1 per minute . You may travel 10% slower than the posted speed limit, but any slower than that, you will be penalized. We have timed the course.

You should have 2 people aboard. If you have only one person, you should be carrying 120 pounds of ballast.

Anyone out there who weighs less than 120 lbs. want to go for an 80 mile ride Saturday morning? Maybe I can borrow a manikin. :p

UfoTofU 04-28-2009 07:27 AM

The requirement for the second person could be eighteen years of age instead

SVOboy 04-28-2009 01:47 PM

I think they're following SCCA rules.

Reserved out room at the luxurious (read: free wifi) Glen Motor Inn!!

UfoTofU 04-28-2009 01:52 PM

What if you had me and thirty pounds of ballast?

SVOboy 04-28-2009 01:53 PM

Don't think too hard about arbitrary rules. The probably have the ballast for people who remove seats as well.

Wonderboy 04-28-2009 02:02 PM

Nice discount. I'd go in on that hotel room too if no one minds - I have absolutely no problem sleeping on the floor. It's not so far for me to drive, I just think it'd be nice to have some leisurely time on friday night instead of having to wake up early on saturday.

SVOboy 04-28-2009 02:06 PM

Sure, feel free to pile in!

UfoTofU 04-28-2009 08:32 PM

O, my gosh, I'll meet Darin

SVOboy 04-28-2009 08:34 PM

Everyone wants to meet darin, and then vandalize his car.

UfoTofU 04-28-2009 08:37 PM

There are no GEO Metros for sale in Nashville so I'll get to check that out

blownb310 04-30-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownb310 (Post 100525)
Weather permitting, I'll be driving my Datsun B210.
Mike Kamm

I am really excited about this event, but disappointed in the weather forecast. After 10 days of clear sunny weather here in Albany, the rain showers are predicted for my drive out on Friday. I apologize for bowing out, but I don't drive my 32 year old [read that: rust prone] Japanese car in the rain. I will likely test it on Sunday morning up in the Adirondacks on our club's 118.7 mile route [used during A.M.E.C.'s Economy Run II last October].

I know I know, I'm a wimp. :p

Enjoy this terrific event fellas. The chicken bar-b-q sounds terrific after the event as well!

MetroMPG 04-30-2009 09:26 PM

Bummer! But then you won't get to vandalize my car! And I waxed it and everything (to get better fuel economy on the way there :P)

bryn 04-30-2009 11:18 PM

i'll try to make an appearance at the after party, but after driving back from colorado last week, the 17 or so miles to the glen could be tough.

SVOboy 05-01-2009 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryn (Post 101677)
i'll try to make an appearance at the after party, but after driving back from colorado last week, the 17 or so miles to the glen could be tough.

Sweet! Hope to see you there. :)

tasdrouille 05-01-2009 07:09 AM

You guys have fun this weekend. I wish I could be there.