EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   The Way I Think It Works (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/way-i-think-works-918.html)

DAN 02-05-2008 02:17 AM

The Way I Think It Works

There is not that much that can be done to a stock engine manage system. You can buy Hot Rod systems but they still must follow EPA rules to be legal. And you can get really lost in one. Shutting down the EGR valve will give a boost in mpg by letting the fuel burn hotter, but that make the no2 gas go up. Out side of L.A. that's not that big a deal. .Going to smaller tires will cut rolling resistance. But the tires will not carry the same load. And will not stop as good. May 2006 Road and Track's pg 105 "Your Mileage May Differ" is the most up to date thing I now of. It goes along with what I made up my own mind to. That's why I like it, right. Do you guys know about holding down revs? Over the road truck drivers have long known to us use low a rpm as possible. Call it short-shifting, shift as soon as your motor will let pull the load. About %7 of a airplane motor is lost to pulling air past the throttle. They up the airs heat to reduce its density and open the throttle to make up for it. I knew that the more the throttle was open the less power was lost. but R&T says you can save %20 in city driveling driving. If your in front and can open up as you get rolling. Open up all the way, or as much as you can. Don't creep up to the speed you are going to run at. Weight maters most when you are speeding up, no news there. but R&T says 100 pounds added to 3000 pounds adds only %1.5 fuel use. More in stop and go, less on the road. Weight ups rolling resistance, but not that much, they say. .Also hybrids spin there motor up and then add fuel and spark. That's not why other cars do. They add fuel from the starter on. That does waste gas and wash the oil off. I read someplace that almost any start is a cold start to the engine manage system. I know that heating the air worked in carburetors, and engine manage systems use air temperate for setting how much gas to use. the hotter the less. But how it will work now is something I don't know. Also it will add to engine detonation. So try and add a cold air intake when power is needed.

roflwaffle 02-05-2008 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAN (Post 8291)
Shutting down the EGR valve will give a boost in mpg by letting the fuel burn hotter

Source?

AndrewJ 02-05-2008 12:33 PM

I wouldn't base all of my view on fuel efficency on a single Road & Track article. Good rigorous testing is the only way to know for sure what will work and what won't.

So bust out the Scanguage and start testing, because that will be the only way to really make up your mind.

Who 02-05-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

So bust out the Scanguage and start testing, because that will be the only way to really make up your mind.
Andrew, even our wonderful ScanGauges shouldn't be above some scrutiny. Heck... it only just got a workaround to deal with DFCO. ;)

Daox 02-05-2008 01:24 PM

I agree with Andrew. You can read through article after article, but what do you say when you see a car rated at 37 mpg highway getting over 50 mpg? The members here prove that it can be done, and they'll help you to improve your mileage too.

wriley4409 02-05-2008 04:59 PM

Engine Management Systems

Dan's comments are contradictory in a sense. Probably the second best thing that I have done with my DiabloSport Predator programmer is to reduce the speed at which the transmission shifts (short-shifting), with the absolute best thing being a 100 RPM reduction in idle speed. I just wish that I could change the commanded Air/Fuel Ratio from 14.7 (lowest emissions) to 15.5 (best efficiency) with the same tool, but sadly the EPA has a lot to say about that.

Wayne

...There is not that much that can be done to a stock engine manage system. You can buy Hot Rod systems but they still must follow EPA rules to be legal. .....
... Call it short-shifting, shift as soon as your motor will let pull the load.

trebuchet03 02-05-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Going to smaller tires will cut rolling resistance. But the tires will not carry the same load.
Wha? Smaller tires - everything else being equal - have higher rolling resistance....

brucepick 02-10-2008 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 8391)
Wha? Smaller wheels - everything else being equal - have higher rolling resistance....

Well actually he said smaller tires.
I think he should have said skinnier tires, which seem to help FE but probably due to less aero frontal area. Maybe due to less road contact rolling resistance, but the higher pressures most/many of us are running kinda does the same.

Anyway, I think DAN needs to read the stickies first and get an understanding of what we have here first before becoming an instructor.

trebuchet03 02-10-2008 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucepick (Post 9075)
Well actually he said smaller tires.

Fair enough... I'll edit my post (but larger diameter = less RR)...

RH77 02-10-2008 12:29 PM

Science vs. Speculation

First, Road and Track is not a Scientific publication. The consensus here is to support claims with multiple citations of tests with Scientific merit, or to conduct one's own tests using proper technique.

Mr. DAN, I believe you are on a slippery slope with such speculation.

Please respond to this thread to confirm or deny these claims.

On the issue of testing, the best instrumentation we have (available in mass), is the ScanGauge. True, it is not perfect; however, by using the instrument in simple tests, it is entirely possible to isolate a variable to gather data, and publish the experiment for others to attempt.

As a reminder to all who have forgotten or are not aware, please see this quick definition of the "Scientific Method".

RH77