EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   What to buy? V6 OR V8??? (for Silverado Z71) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/what-buy-v6-v8-silverado-z71-15192.html)

aaronmiiller 11-17-2010 10:55 PM

What to buy? V6 OR V8??? (for Silverado Z71)

Looking to get a single cab silverado z71 between 99-04 model soon, i am looking for PURE FUEL ECONOMY. I do not tow anything i dont need any power and will be running a stock size tire. Once again, all i care about is fuel economy i will be installing aftermarket parts such as a cold air intake and exhaust (dont care what it sounds like just want it to breath better) and possibly a bully dog or something. Thanks alot guys.

Frank Lee 11-17-2010 11:02 PM

Man you need to do some research here first.

NHRABill 11-18-2010 03:12 AM

aaron you say you are not towing but are you 4 wheeling? if not why looking for a Z71 off road package Looks? if fuel is your priority then look for a 2wd lowered truck. Power programmers are great but not much is out there for the 6 I would look for a 5.3 if I were you. or change your mind and move toward a colorado instead of a silverado.

Good luck and Like Frank mentioned read up i am learning alot in here.

euromodder 11-18-2010 10:10 AM

Welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronmiiller (Post 204684)
I do not tow anything i dont need any power and will be running a stock size tire.

If you want good fuel economy, you'll have to choose your vehicle wisely.

What do you want to use the vehicle for ?
That question determines the sort of vehicle to buy.

Do you really need a truck ?
They don't return great fuel economy.
If you're not hauling lots of heavy stuff on a daily basis, a van, MPV or station wagon will give better fuel economy on a daily basis.
A trailer can be used to handle an occasional oversized or heavy load.

MetroMPG 11-18-2010 01:37 PM

First off, the mods you mention probably won't improve your fuel economy at all.

As for which engine to get, smaller is generally better.

If you average the "real world" MPG of v6 vs. v8 Chevy pickup owners, I bet you'll find that the average v6 MPG is better than the average v8 MPG: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG....make=Chevrolet

And before you dismiss "a few MPG" difference as inconsequential, realize that the difference between 16 and 18 mpg* over 20,000 miles a year is 139 gallons. At 3 bucks a pop, that's $417 a year. Every year.

*(I don't know if the numbers will show you actual averages of 16 and 18 mpg - that's just an example based on a quick look at the lists at that link. You can crunch the numbers yourself.)

euromodder 11-18-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 204785)
If you average the "real world" MPG of v6 vs. v8 Chevy pickup owners, I bet you'll find that the average v6 MPG is better than the average v8 MPG: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG....make=Chevrolet

In Europe, pick-up trucks are usually sold with a 4 in line (diesel) engine, with 2L to 2.5L displacement, 3L at worst.
Over 3L is a very marginal market of expensive toys.

It suits us, why wouldn't it suit Americans :confused:

PS : get a manual rather than automatic transmission.

MetroMPG 11-18-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

2 words: Fuel prices.

Oh wait, 2 more words: cultural differences.

(Not defending, just saying.)

NHRABill 11-18-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 204789)
In Europe, pick-up trucks are usually sold with a 4 in line (diesel) engine, with 2L to 2.5L displacement, 3L at worst.
Over 3L is a very marginal market of expensive toys.

PS : get a manual rather than automatic transmission.

This is where more information is needed by AaronMiller. People like myself that need to pull a 5,000lbs trailer could not afford the cost of a diesel engine that is offered here. I have less than $1,500 invested into my tahoe and have the luxuary of a 4x4 for the snow and rated 8,000lbs towing.

Mid size diesels are few and far between and I can hardly recall one. If by some stroke of incredible luck I did, the price will certainly be a premium compared to the gas version. Does anyone know of a 6cyl diesel available for a pickup in North America? I don't think the Inline cummins turbo 6 counts as a mid size diesel 5.9L and up only other one that comes to mind was the Jeep cherokee 3.0 turbo diesel but price + economy it gets doesn't make sense

Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Review

Hey I learned something new today :)

bombloader 11-18-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 204791)
2 words: Fuel prices.

Oh wait, 2 more words: cultural differences.

(Not defending, just saying.)

I'd add a third. Emissions regulations. They've been a lot more stringent on passenger cars than light and medium trucks in the past. This has made it even harder to develop small 4 and 6 cyl. diesels.

aaronmiiller 11-18-2010 04:11 PM

First of all i would like to thank all of you for being critical of my question, you just lost a forum member as this will be my last post, i asked a simple question and i get ZERO results. NHRABill i want a Z71 period there is no reason behind it that matters, i will have one i am trying to accomplish better than average fuel economy with it same goes for your comment euromodder. As for you MetroMPG the comment about those mods not improving my fuel economy is absolute garbage. I have 2 different trucks with these mods and have performed a log of the economy on before and after mods, both vehicles gained a minimum of 4 mpg average. Thanks for nothing hope you guys have fun on this useless forum.