EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   What to do with 1986 yugo (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/what-do-1986-yugo-29676.html)

rmay635703 08-07-2014 07:41 PM

What to do with 1986 yugo

My father stuffed his 1986 yugo in the garage in 1992 because the front brake was locked hard, when he got parts in 1995 the car came out briefly and spurted antifreeze all over and went back in.

Think it can be saved? I don't have the time (or motivation) to do the repairs myself, I am curious if anyone could get it runnable without costing an arm and a leg.

I am thinking new hoses, lines, timing belt, (obviously fluids) and of coarse the brakes.

Let me know, I would love to have the car back on the road just for fun.

Also some europeans seem to think the bolt pattern on the XMSN was the same as some daihatsu and toyota motors, any truth to that?

Thanx
Ryan

jcp123 08-07-2014 08:20 PM

Yugo was basically a Fiat (128?) built with tooling and licensing bought from Fiat. Unbelievably, they can be decent and fun cars. Hook up with Fiat and/or Yugo enthusiasts, there is stuff available.

changzuki 08-07-2014 09:36 PM

I had an '86! It was ups blue and I painted it viking blue!

There used to be an "autocross" here (timed course around pylons). A Volkswagen GTI and the Yugo were the only two cars there that would pull the inner rear wheel off the ground when circling a pylon! All cars got 3 runs and the GTI only beat out the Yugo by 2/10ths of a second!

The stick shift was a bat in a bucket of coconuts but the car was a blast!
And yes, it needed at least one more gear :turtle:

O=Y=O
======
U-----U

~CrazyJerry

Arragonis 08-08-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcp123 (Post 438985)
Yugo was basically a Fiat (128?) built with tooling and licensing bought from Fiat. Unbelievably, they can be decent and fun cars. Hook up with Fiat and/or Yugo enthusiasts, there is stuff available.

This - the 127/128 were pretty decent small hatches, arguably more advanced than the Golf that came along 2-3 years later. You could (probably) also use FIAT Uno parts - 1.7 Diesel for example.

some_other_dave 08-08-2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by changzuki (Post 439000)
A Volkswagen GTI and the Yugo were the only two cars there that would pull the inner rear wheel off the ground when circling a pylon!

Interesting. In recent years, most hot FWD cars have assumed the "pissing dog" position when driven hard around the cones.

And many RWD cars, especially those with engines in the middle or the back, pick up a front wheel. I know one Porsche 911 driver who consistently picked his inside-front wheel up over the apex cone of one corner. When someone asked him about it later, his response was, "I do what???" :D

-soD

Cobb 08-08-2014 09:52 PM

They had one on fast n loud not too long ago. The monkeys sold it for 3 grand as a joke for someones kid who was getting his license.

rmay635703 08-09-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 439057)
This - the 127/128 were pretty decent small hatches, arguably more advanced than the Golf that came along 2-3 years later. You could (probably) also use FIAT Uno parts - 1.7 Diesel for example.

Actually from what I am told Fiat is one of those companies that keeps identical dimensions components for decades at a time. Things like the mounting between the transmission, bellhousing and engine keep the same bolt count and spacing. The halfshafts stay the same, etc.

This means if I could cheaply locate and ship any Fiat motor (for a FWD layout) it would likely be bolt on excluding the motor mounts.

If I wanted to sink lots of money into this car I would look for something 1ltr or smaller and diesel or something naturally aspirated, fiat and diesel.

Would be neat to have a 40-50mpg yugo but the cost would be high.

Another possiblity would be to get an old Geo XFI motor and make a lovejoy and adapter to mount to the yugo XMSN.

That would cost less but I have no access to anyone who could make a reliable adapter without going bankrupt.

Ah well, I think it better to mess around a bit to determine what is wrong with the stock drivetrain.

At low speeds I may be able to get around 40-50mpg (eoc needed), driven normally a Yugo is a bit of a pig on gas for a 1ltr motor.

Cheers
Ryan

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-11-2014 01:31 AM

It would still be a good base either for some eco project but also suitable to be turned into a sleeper :D

rmay635703 08-11-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 439387)
It would still be a good base either for some eco project but also suitable to be turned into a sleeper :D

Yeah, the typical thinking around here is that if its old and something is wrong with the stock drivetrain (like it needs points) you just drop a 350 in it.

Sad part would be the gas mileage (with proper gears) would probably be about the same. :(

Arragonis 08-11-2014 01:45 PM

Find a FIRE engine for full on MPG and modern technology / MPG. As rmay pointed out the dimensions between engines remained the same so mounts can probably be bought or fabricated to suit.

Or better still how about the FIAT 128 engine spec 146.A8.000 from the Uno Turbo 1.4 IE - turn up the turbo and thrash anyone with a 350 all day long, better MPG too. :thumbup:

There is a replacement for displacement, its called a Turbo ;)