EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   What do other drivers do as they pass? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/what-do-other-drivers-do-they-pass-14293.html)

Weather Spotter 08-21-2010 09:42 PM

What do other drivers do as they pass?

This week I went on a 700 mile round trip, I got lots of looks (I use to blend in http://forum.ecomodder.com/images/smilies/frown.gif)

Here is the back of my car:
http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/GEDC0179.jpg

I got two thumbs up as people passes and I got one complaint at a stop. The complaint was for using the shoulder to slow down on, US2 is a busy road and I did not want to slow traffic down as I coasted the .6 of a mile to my turn off, shoulder is over a lain wide so I let 6 cars go by as I slowed down. Side note: comment was from a biker dude over 50, hair to belt, full beard, and riding in a minivan. As he walked away he muttered some other bad things. Do you think I took his comment seriously?????

What do you get as you drive along in your aero modded car?

Jyden 08-22-2010 02:56 AM

I get lots of weired look from bypassers

Xringer 08-22-2010 11:46 AM

43 mpg!!

The guy in the mini-van sounds like a person to stay away from, much less listen to..

At 43 MPG, who cares what one in a million think.?. ;)

Weather Spotter 08-22-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xringer (Post 189992)
The guy in the mini-van sounds like a person to stay away from, much less listen to..

At 43 MPG, who cares what one in a million think.?. ;)

Yep!

(3 tank is up to 45.2 MPG but I list my 90 day)

Xringer 08-22-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weather Spotter (Post 189999)
Yep!

(3 tank is up to 45.2 MPG but I list my 90 day)

SWEET! Good job!

My Ford can easily do 40 MPG at 35-45 MPH on the flat roads around town.
But in the real world traffic, the average is quickly pulled down to 24 city.. :o
Amazingly, the AT will shift up to 6th gear at fairly low speeds.

During some test drives on Rt-95, I've actually done some 40 mpg using
the cruise control set in the 55 mph range.. During a work day too!
I was amazed that no one rear-ended me.. :rolleyes:

Thymeclock 08-22-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

I got two thumbs up as people passes and I got one complaint at a stop. The complaint was for using the shoulder to slow down on, US2 is a busy road and I did not want to slow traffic down as I coasted the .6 of a mile to my turn off, shoulder is over a lain wide so I let 6 cars go by as I slowed down.
Driving on the roadway shoulder (using it as a lane of travel) is illegal in most (maybe all?) states.

It may seem clever and be fuel efficient, but what if everyone tried to do the same? Right now you are enjoying an advantage that is exclusively yours. Be sure to tell the cop what a good idea it was as he writes you the ticket.

Weather Spotter 08-22-2010 02:42 PM

It might not be the legal thing to do, but there is not a deceleration lane there, but the shoulder is extra wide (go figure). For a rest stop along a busy 2 lane road I think I made the better choice. By the way, if you are coming the other way there is a lane to pass on the right of traffic that is turning left into the rest stop.

rmay635703 08-22-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thymeclock (Post 190032)
Driving on the roadway shoulder (using it as a lane of travel) is illegal in most (maybe all?) states.

It may seem clever and be fuel efficient, but what if everyone tried to do the same? Right now you are enjoying an advantage that is exclusively yours. Be sure to tell the cop what a good idea it was as he writes you the ticket.

Um, pulling over AKA yielding the right of way is mandated in many states and a common courtesy, all the older laws had statements that slow traffic, especially those with Slow moving vehicle signs are required to yield the right of way to faster traffic. At one time it was considered common courtesy since the old model T's wouldn't go over 45mph on flat ground.

Cheers
Ryan

Thymeclock 08-22-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weather Spotter (Post 190034)
It might not be the legal thing to do, but there is not a deceleration lane there, but the shoulder is extra wide (go figure). For a rest stop along a busy 2 lane road I think I made the better choice. By the way, if you are coming the other way there is a lane to pass on the right of traffic that is turning left into the rest stop.

I recall most traffic summonses as giving a choice of three pleas:
1) Guilty
2) Guilty with an explanation
3) Not Guilty

Yours is #2.

Weather Spotter 08-22-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 190035)
Um, pulling over AKA yielding the right of way is mandated in many states and a common courtesy, all the older laws had statements that slow traffic, especially those with Slow moving vehicle signs are required to yield the right of way to faster traffic. At one time it was considered common courtesy since the old model T's wouldn't go over 45mph on flat ground.

Cheers
Ryan

If I am guilty of busting the rule, I am still following the Golden Rule!