EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   What do you think killed my Accord? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/what-do-you-think-killed-my-accord-39884.html)

Xist 12-27-2021 08:14 PM

What do you think killed my Accord?

I was finally able to see some new clients and was miraculously able to see them the same trip as my other clients in that town.

That agency pays better, too, so it was like 3.33 hours with my first master.

I was 10 miles from home and I started losing power. My dash looked fine and I couldn't pull up any pending codes with Torque, but then I couldn't connect to the ECU, so maybe that was the problem--or at least a symptom.

At first I thought that I could limp home, but I wasn't even able to park straight, although the engine was still running, and didn't sound too bad.

So, the transmission went out?

Well, I couldn't rev over 1,500 RPM, so that sounds like an engine problem, but I don't have any idea!

I popped the hood and nothing looked worse than before.

I feel like I won't be replacing the hood insulation.

Mom got me and USAA is supposed to tow my car. I was supposed to have a teleclient, but I didn't have data to reach out to the mom.

It appears she exclusively communicates through e-mail.

They didn't attempt to connect to Zoom and the mom didn't respond when I reached out 20 minutes ago, which is the third session in a row, unlocking Probation.

Well, I am going to see if there are any Camries for sale in the Phoenix area--and rentals up here.

freebeard 12-27-2021 09:25 PM

Quote:

Well, I am going to see if there are any Camries for sale in the Phoenix area--and rentals up here.
What was the definition of doing something over and over expecting a different result?

I have found that the vehicle that brings other people the most joy is a Beige Beetle. Here's one for $14K in Tuscon right now.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/9471606.jpg

Quote:

Everything works, from the original horn to the dome light, wipers, blinkers, defrost, gas gauge etc. This is like a brand new vehicle. 0 leaks. Headliner and upholstery are in excellent shape
Factory rear window pop outs and roof rack included
Call 562 533 6958 if interested
That as much as a new FUV. The chrome yellow $1K 1974 Superbeetle in Lake Have-a-sue City is or should be gone

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...tl/9451974.jpg

Others here.

How about this, while I was looking for that page, I found an ad for the same wheels as on my Superbeetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/9487352.jpg
Quote:

FS: 1965 911/912 Lemmerz Rims date 1.65 Price: $7500 + ship
1965 SWB 911/912 4.5jX15 rims (3), 3.9mm centers, unrestored original condition, date 1.65. These are the rarest and most sought after early SWB rims. Picture is not the rims, just a placeholder as the rims are in secured storage. Paypal users pay all fees.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...php?id=2518195

These are the same wheels, except I have five (spare included).

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...9-100-1263.jpg

I need to 3D print some hub covers.

Xist 12-28-2021 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 660828)
What was the definition of doing something over and over expecting a different result?

No, I don't expect interacting with you to ever be pleasant.

It took 5 hours for the tow truck to transport my car 5 minutes. He said that he didn't know why my car died, but suggested the transmission leak was a rear main seal.

Don't take automotive advice from tow truck drivers.

Rear main seal leaks release oil.

So, I guess that I call the shop the first thing in the morning and ensure he has my information.

freebeard 12-28-2021 01:35 AM

Quote:

No mood for a joke then.

nemo 12-28-2021 08:36 AM

Won't go over 1500 RPM, transmission leak. In limp mode from automatic transmission problem?

nemo 12-28-2021 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 660828)

Normal?

Piotrsko 12-28-2021 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 660832)

It took 5 hours for the tow truck to transport my car 5 minutes. He said that he didn't know why my car died, but suggested the transmission leak was a rear main seal.

Funny: Julian Edgar said pretty much that about Aerohead.

There is a main seal on a trans, typically where the axles/driveshaft leave the case and they puke when they leak, not just dribble, because they are typically pressurized. Bet you didnt check the tranny fluid level.

Xist 12-28-2021 02:04 PM

Crazy J's phone is cellular. I sent a text at 8 and called at 9, but he didn't answer, and his voice mail is full. Mom kept yelling at me to hurry to his shop before he had my car towed away.
I called again before digging her car out of the snow.
He said that he will look at it and look for the transmission leak before five.

skyking 12-28-2021 11:37 PM

It was the butler in the study, with a candlestick

what, too soon?

freebeard 12-28-2021 11:47 PM

Quote:

what, too soon?
I don't know.... it's past five Aridzona time.

Piotrsko 12-29-2021 09:48 AM

Colonel Mustard in The study using gloves?

It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

MetroMPG 12-29-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 660826)

Wait wait wait... clearly I missed something, because I thought you had a grampa Camry already. Yes, clearly I missed something.

I would be very surprised if a car would go into limp mode without flashing lights at the driver in the cluster.

Xist 12-29-2021 06:26 PM

It was Kobolds!

They scampered off!

My mechanic said that he drove her for 10 miles and idled for an hour without an issue.

I drove home without a problem.

He didn't charge me because he didn't fix anything, but he said that he can fix the Camry accident damage and pull the dents from the Accord roof.

skyking 12-29-2021 06:29 PM

gotta like that, gotta hate it too. I am not fond of those intermittent issues. They are always much easier to fix once they go full 'mittent.

ksa8907 12-29-2021 07:11 PM

So, transmission acting funny and not able to connect to the ecu, also is an intermittent issue that first presented itself after a long drive. It's cold where you are and there is snow on the ground.

I would start considering bad ground, loose wires/corroded wires, being an older Honda increases the likelihood of speaker wire being used for a previous repair... Maybe in an area that also affects the signal going to the transmission controller indicating which gear is selected, perhaps the transmission was in neutral when this all occured?

Xist 12-29-2021 10:06 PM

My car was in drive.

Piotrsko 12-30-2021 09:24 AM

I would at this time point out this scenerio in my case was the cause of the ranger going electric at a $10+ grand expense.

Xist 12-30-2021 10:28 AM

Several people have suggested several different things, but yesterday someone suggested a blown head gasket. My oil and coolant both look clean, but I smelled something as I drove to my colonoscopy preop appointment, and my car seemed to be running warmer than she should.
She also never shifted into fourth, but I was driving uphill.

Xist 12-30-2021 12:05 PM

After my appointment I drove another 7 miles uphill until I reached peak Pinetop-Lakeside, and 12 miles home without a problem. There was a little bit of a smell at one point, but I never noticed my exhaust.

I stopped at the last parking lot before I got home. It isn't flat, my car was going up a gentle hill, and my transmission fluid read a little low.

I turned around and it still read low, but not nearly as much.

I asked my sister, who is off this week, if she and her husband, who is unemployed, would look at a low-mileage Camry. She said she could, but didn't, and it sold.

She asked me if I wanted to look at a high-mileage Acura in her town and I responded "No more than I want to look at this high-mileage Accord an hour from me."

She wants me to look at the high-mileage Accord an hour from me.

Someone posted a Camry with 72,800 miles and she responded "That would be awesome."

That's it? She's not going to help out her brother, who desperately needs a reliable car?

Xist 12-30-2021 09:36 PM

Would Torque Pro data logging help me find the problem?

I set it up to automatically log whenever connected to my bluetooth adapter and I told it to monitor all of the PIDs that I thought were relevant.

Hope isn't a plan, but I hope that I can drive an hour and back, see my client in-town, and make it home without a problem, but hopefully I can collect useful data, too.

ksa8907 12-31-2021 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 660912)
My car was in drive.

Yes, you selected drive. With a wiring issue, it could have put the transmission in neutral which could have caused the "did my transmission go out" moment.

No communication to the ecu while running screams wiring issue to me.

Xist 12-31-2021 09:31 AM

Would a wiring issue prevent my engine from idling above 1,500 RPM?

I asked to reschedule my appointments.

I think I only slept 1-2 hours last night.

freebeard 12-31-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Bad condenser on the distributor, if it even has one.

ksa8907 12-31-2021 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 660976)

I asked to reschedule my appointments.

I think I only slept 1-2 hours last night.

Usually the crank sensor is used for timing below a certain speed, then camshaft sensor for the higher engine speeds. So, yes depending what the actual issue is.

Edit: I found this from a quick search, looks like the v-tech oil pressure switch and a transmission connector are very close.
https://www.justanswer.com/honda/3u9...-1500-rpm.html

That might place the issue in very close proximity to two symptoms.

JSH 01-01-2022 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 660925)
That's it? She's not going to help out her brother, who desperately needs a reliable car?

So the plan is to buy yet another car instead of fixing the Civic, Accord, or Camry?

Xist 01-02-2022 12:21 AM

One vehicle had 72,800 miles, was one color, and didn't have any visible damage.

Xist 02-04-2022 04:30 PM

I made the same drive that killed my Accord, but arrived home without a problem.

1 Attachment(s)
I still don't have any idea what happened, but a one-time occurrence indicates an anomaly.

Car problems almost never go away and I certainly wouldn't expect mine to, but I achieved one successful trip in a row! :)

By the way, Crazy J fixed the roof. It appears that he did some body work and used some Bondo. He also repainted that section, even though he said he doesn't paint.

The color doesn't match, but I would rather repaint it than deal with the dents:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1644010144

I couldn't find my thread about it! :)

freebeard 02-04-2022 05:38 PM

Paint a Union Jack up there.

I can't tell from the picture, which car that doesn't run is that?

Xist 02-04-2022 06:01 PM

The Accord died making this trip, but this time it was successful.

My Camry made the trip successfully last week...

So... neither? :)

MetroMPG 02-04-2022 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 662789)
Paint a Union Jack up there.

The rising sun, no?

Xist 02-04-2022 10:36 PM

Yes, the rising sun, but since my vehicle isn't 7' tall, I was thinking a white wrap.

JSH 02-05-2022 12:16 PM

Or maybe sell it now since used vehicle prices are at record highs and it actually runs at the moment.

freebeard 02-13-2022 03:38 PM

This seems the most appropriate thread for keeping an aging Japanese vehicle running.

My neighbor down the lane has a gray four-door something, missing the grille and logo, possible a Civic (??). Each time he wants to drive it he clicks the starter solenoid repeatedly (scarily obsessively) until the starter engages. This time he opened the hood and thwacked something with a stick to get it to go.

Xist, isn't that an electrical ground problem?

Xist 04-16-2022 07:26 PM

Allegedly the Alaskan cleaned and returned my car

Of course, she didn't let me know she was in Show Low until fifteen minutes after I left her know we were on our way.
She did thank me, though.
I am positive she made sure she would avoid the big huge jerk who, among other things, was bringing them Easter baskets.
Do you think she will drive five miles out of her way to get the Easter baskets or wait until after they drive to the Valley for Bunny Day?

Will she make up our lead while my brother and I wait for Mom to stop wandering around Basha's?

I pulled into a parking lot to inform my sisters that we made it to Payson and Mom demanded that I immediately--she's here and yelling at me.

Xist 04-17-2022 10:58 PM

Mom threatened to hit me for parking all of the way in the nearest parking spot.

I keep telling her that would be child abuse!

My Accord looks okay, but a door was unlocked, and the car was backwards, as is the tailbone cushion, despite me telling her multiple times that the fat part goes in the back, with the gap under the tailbone.
Clearly this woman, who is among the shortest 1% of Americans, wanted more distance between her knees and the pedals.
I can tell she tried to clean, but she left one of the front floormats in the back.
At least she left the key where I asked her.

Xist 04-29-2022 04:17 AM

Did I mention that the Alaskan drove my car at least 5,000 miles (in 6 weeks)?

On Sunday I drove us home from Church and gave my brother my keys to get into the house while I helped Mom. Then he took a nap and I went to visit a friend, but I couldn't find my keys.

After I came home Mom found them, but meanwhile I took my Accord, drove carefully, and watched the gauges.

She drove all right, but when I got home I checked the fluids (except the coolant).

There was just one drop of oil on the end of the dipstick and the transmission dipstick was completely dry.

I should have checked the fluids as soon as I realized she drove 5,000 miles, but I was shocked!

I checked the coolant tonight and it was at the bottom of the neck, above the fins.

Since I spent $66 filling up a car that someone else drove (without thanking me!) and in order to fill up my Camry I would also need to do so without a discount I am disinclined to spend $130 on gas within a week when I haven't driven anywhere near that far.

I decided to drive the Honda, which means that I needed to top off my fluids.

When I checked my fluids my car was warmed up and in the street, which isn't level, but flatter than Mom's driveway, so results would be even less accurate, but I am not finding a flat spot.

I put in a quart and the dipstick was dry. I put in 2 quarts and it was still horribly low.

I put in 3 quarts!

Oil capacity in my car is 4.5 quarts.

How does this change my oil change interval?!

I am more concerned with why my car burned 2/3rds of its oil in 5,000 miles--and leaked at least a quart of ATF.

JSH 04-29-2022 10:47 AM

I would drain the oil and replace it with fresh. You likely just missed severe damage to the engine because there was enough oil to keep the oil pump covered and keep oil pressure but that 1.5 quarts of oil is shot.

Going forward - top off the fluids and sell it. Let the next owner worry about fluid change intervals.

Xist 04-29-2022 11:16 AM

Sweet! I'll sell it to my sister! :D

redpoint5 04-29-2022 11:20 AM

Why help ungrateful people? What's her excuse for not pulling her own weight? There's tons of money to make in this labor market, and I would think especially so in Alaska. No skills necessary.

JSH 04-29-2022 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 667054)
Why help ungrateful people? What's her excuse for not pulling her own weight? There's tons of money to make in this labor market, and I would think especially so in Alaska. No skills necessary.

If I've followed the Life of Xist correctly (as told through 100 different threads) the Alaskian moved from Alaska to Show Low to be with Xist. She has a job but it doesn't sound like the job prospects in Show Low are that great for a single mother with kids to support and take care of.