EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   What kind of EV would it take? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/what-kind-ev-would-take-534.html)

SVOboy 01-04-2008 07:06 PM

What kind of EV would it take?

Assuming you would buy an EV given certain conditions, what would they be?

For example, for me I would do a conversion on my current car and would need to have a steady job, ~10k, and a reasonably short commuter but still one that is too long to bike every day (meaning something like a 20 mile each way commute) so that range would need to be ~100 miles.

What about you? What kind of specs and price would it take to go EV?

MetroMPG 01-04-2008 07:14 PM

20 km range, and about 700 bucks would do it for me. (Smarta$$!)

SVOboy 01-04-2008 07:15 PM

Nobody cares what you think, :)

Lazarus 01-04-2008 07:16 PM

I can put as much as 70 miles in a day with rolling terrain without much chance for opportunity charging. So I would need a 140 mile range a top speed of 60 mph. A heater of some kind. I can make it without the AC. I figure the money I save in gas will make up for battery replacement when the time comes. Finish product under 10K. The trick is getting the money to get it in the first place.:)

roflwaffle 01-04-2008 09:06 PM

I would need to live somewhere w/ lots of traffic. Otherwise it's cheaper to run some sort of ICE due to battery/electricity costs.

jazzie604 01-04-2008 09:55 PM

id need a 30 mile range, 60 mph, and someone willing to trade it for my 82 S10 blazer I have sitting waiting for... me to get off my keister and do something with it.

trebuchet03 01-04-2008 11:23 PM

At the moment.... 250 mile range at highway speeds... I could probably go with 220 mile range :)

bestmapman 01-04-2008 11:23 PM

A great car would be the prius with a 30 mile EV range.

The perfect car would be:
1) The car is a 500 mile range, total EV that goes 80 MPH top end.
2) Is a normal size car with 4 wheels.
3) It comes with solar panels that charge during the day and store the
energy for night time charging.
4) Has a built in charger so when you go on a trip you can plug it into a
normal socket.
5) comes in Red

MetroMPG 01-04-2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 4141)
At the moment.... 250 mile range at highway speeds... I could probably go with 220 mile range :)

Funny.

trebuchet03 01-05-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 4143)
Funny.

Honest truth.... :/

My car needs to be able to make an occasional 200 mile trip from school to parent's...

If there was a range extended option (generator trailer or what have you) - that would totally change things... I could accept a 30 mile range with an extended range option...

For that reason, chemical energy beats electrical (in my circumstances) :/

-----
I also need to do about 400 miles on vote day... I actually drive home from school to vote, then drive back north :p I don't absentee... It is, after all, Floriduh :p

roflwaffle 01-05-2008 01:02 AM

Pusher trailerz R aw3s0m3!

MetroMPG 01-05-2008 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 4148)
Honest truth.... :/

Ah. I thought you were making a funny, since the distances you gave happen to be the before/refined highway range specs for the Tesla Roadster.

Silveredwings 01-05-2008 09:04 AM

With 4-wheel 3-phase hub motors and a MrFusion,

http://www.digitaldrops.com.br/drops...s/mrfusion.jpg

the sky's the limit.

trebuchet03 01-05-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 4184)
Ah. I thought you were making a funny, since the distances you gave happen to be the before/refined highway range specs for the Tesla Roadster.

Ha! Pure coincidence :p I did realize the Roadster was in the 200 mi range - pure ignorant luck on pinning the numbers :p

RH77 01-05-2008 10:54 AM

Depends

Good question, many answers...

My take:

1) If it were just for pure commuting to work and back:
  • 2-seater with the cargo capacity of 2 large suitcases
  • 60 mph consistent speed ability
  • 150-200 mile range with 7-day cold soak in 15-degree F weather between charges
  • $5000 (If it's going to replace a vehicle with no car payments, then yak know).

2) For Family Use:
  • Prius-Sized (basically 4-seater/4-door with hatch)
  • 300-mile range at 60 mph or 150 miles in solid urban stop/go
  • 70 mph top-speed (not necessarily consistent, quick burst)
  • $20K with a warranty

Of course it would have to be run through the "finance department" here at the household :o

RH77

EDIT: Or if willing for choice #1, an even-trade on a '98 Integra, one-owner (technically)

MetroMPG 01-05-2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestmapman (Post 4142)
A great car would be the prius with a 30 mile EV range.

I'm with you on this one. PHEV's make sense as a way to ensure everyone has the ultimate distance range they need.

And as with 2-mode (EV mode) hybrids, their adoption will open more eyes to the benefits of having a more efficient, less costly (produced in mass quantities) 100% BEV as the short-range commuter/grocery getter/second car.

Yaristock 01-05-2008 12:29 PM

What would be perfect for me would be a hybrid electric version of Guy Negre air car, using the engine as a generator.....mmmmm sounds like good clean power to me with a rather larger commute distance.

metroschultz 01-05-2008 05:12 PM

I moved my job 2 years ago SO now I only need 50 mile range and over night charging.

HOWEVER I also need to carry 2 SuperSizedOldGuys on alternate weeks. Yes I car pool, some of my co-workers think it is funny as #e!!. My pool buddy is called Buddha for a reason, and I personally just got under 300 lb's this spring. Talk about engine load. S.

Thalass 01-08-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveredwings (Post 4187)
With 4-wheel 3-phase hub motors and a MrFusion,

http://www.digitaldrops.com.br/drops...s/mrfusion.jpg

the sky's the limit.

Man... I would kill for a MrFusion! :p

For me: My minimum requirements are at least 50km range, and at least 80km/h speed. That'll get me to work and back, and to most places I go regularly without holding up traffic too much. In a sedan-type car so I can take the missus and spawnling.

What I would like would be 100+km on batteries (with some kind of generator to top up on longer trips (series hybrid 4tw)) and a top speed of 130km/h so I can overtake safely on highways. Especially if the genny ran on JetA1, which I can get from work for free! :D

As for the ultimate EV setup... I'd convert my current car ('99 Outback) with four hub motors, fill the former engine bay up with the fanciest batteries I could find, and plonk a MrFusion in there somewhere, too. (Hey, a guy can dream...)

Who 01-08-2008 01:11 PM

Forkenswift would work just fine for my daily commute outside the cold months - even then it could just do the job unless I need serious defrosting in the PM. I might need 96 volts to jump through gaps in traffic at the end of the street though until the bridge reconstruction is done and rush hour traffic is backed up leaving no gaps.

Daox 01-08-2008 01:16 PM

I'd need 100+ mile range, 65mph, two seats. I'd pay... eh, maybe 10k. Unfortunately, it can't be a 3 wheeler because of winter.

cfg83 01-08-2008 04:06 PM

RH77 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77 (Post 4201)
Good question, many answers...

My take:

1) If it were just for pure commuting to work and back:
  • 2-seater with the cargo capacity of 2 large suitcases
  • 60 mph consistent speed ability
  • 150-200 mile range with 7-day cold soak in 15-degree F weather between charges
  • $5000 (If it's going to replace a vehicle with no car payments, then yak know).

I'd be similar on the assumption that it would only be for commuting :
  • 2-seater with the cargo capacity of 1 large suitcase and the ability to quick-remove the passenger seat (more cargo!) for solo commuting.
  • 65 mph consistent speed ability
  • 100 mile range with the ability to plug into standard-issue 120 volt AC plug for overnight charging.
  • $10-$15K. I might be willing to go up to $20K if there were incentives to mitigate this cost.
  • 3 Wheels is OK (2 front, 1 back).
  • "Compact Car" level of insurance payment.

Sooooooooooo, a cheap EV Aptera would be Ok by me.

CarloSW2

Peakster 01-08-2008 04:37 PM

- Something that is low to the ground, handles, is aerodynamic (I'm talking Cd: 0.15 or less. Normal-looking sedans like the Lexus LS 460 are already at 0.26!), comfortable, and looks sporty.
- Preferably a sexy metallic red or a matte-black colour to defy the 'silly electric car' stereotype.
- A battery pack that can charge 60% in 1 hour and a full 100% charge in no more than 6 (if laptops and camcorders can do it in a few minutes, an electric car shouldn't be more than a few hours, max).
- dual motors independently connected to each drive wheel, eliminating heavy differentials and lowering centre of gravity.
- 30-60 minutes and/or 100 kilometres between charges
- Be able to reach a cruising speed of 110-km/h for an extended period of time
- Has a small, durable gasoline engine used for a 'reserve' power source in case of an transportation emergency (an electric motor malfunction or needing to go on a road trip). However, this engine would be so small that a driver would prefer to use the electric power before resorting to gas. The electric and gasoline power plants should also be completely independent from one another.
- Has regenerative breaking and a few supplemental solar panels
- other than the above features, very bare-bones equipped. No A/C, no power-(insert item here), etc.
- a price tag of less than $25,000(US)

I guess if you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself :)

Christopher Jordan 01-08-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster (Post 4610)
-I guess if you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself :)

Yup- in my living room:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16584749@N00/2047823631/

countersTrike

MetroMPG 01-08-2008 05:47 PM

Hi Christopher - have you done any efficiency calcs on your trike? Wh/mile on electric power?

PS - officially "welcome" to the site.

Christopher Jordan 01-08-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 4626)
Hi Christopher - have you done any efficiency calcs on your trike? Wh/mile on electric power?

PS - officially "welcome" to the site.

Thanks for the welcome!

Many limitations keep top speed down on a human power vehicle! I have not kept any records on acceleration, distance, top speed, sideways pull, braking, and so on. The power-assist hub has much lower gears than I like, so I am changing the front gears- very high gearing!. The trike has no signs of weak batteries so has great distance now, and a larger gear will be sort of like a overdrive- much much more distance.

Fuel economy is a passion of mine! I went from cars with tall fins, to "krazy kustom kars" to Muscle cars, but when gas cost $2. a gallon, I did a complete turn-around. These days I am thrilled to pass gas stations and praise E.V.s, alternative vehicles, aerodynamics and human power!

countersTrike

oldschool 01-08-2008 08:19 PM

Just watched another you tube video, Tom Hanks has a converted Scion xb with a 130 mile range

bennelson 01-09-2008 11:08 PM

It seems like everyone wants an EV that has unlimited range, power, speed, AND is affordable.

How many people NEED to be able to drive 120 miles a day? That is one insane commute!

I think an EV makes a perfect second vehicle. It is amazing how much gas it saves on all those short little trips. They are perfect for commuting, as long as you don't have too long of a drive, and they are fun to drive too!

For my wife and I, 3 vehicles works for us, because then we can both still get to work while I am fixing one. If you have an EV and a gasser, you can use the EV for all the local trips, and the gasser for long hauls.

I really think the reason there are so many SUVs out there is that people think it is the perfect vehicle that can do anything (except get good mileage).

If people just used the right vehicle for the job, we would all be better off.

That is another neat thing about EVs, they can be designed for high speed, long range, racing - whatever you want to do with it.

There is no such thing as one perfect vehicle. It depends on how it will be used.

Daox 01-10-2008 09:45 AM

Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who NEED 100+ miles on one charge. I have roughly a 37 mile commute one way, totals up to 73ish miles each day (West Bend to Miller Park area). Add on any other places to visit to and from work, and some extra capacity for when the batteries get older and that puts it at around 100 miles. However, I could probably get away with an incredibly small and simple car, maybe even a one seater. I don't need any luxuries besides heat for winter.

Christopher Jordan 01-10-2008 10:42 AM

Changes in availability and availability of what is out there is constantly different. If a small EV goes fine per day for me, yet cannot handle 100 miles + @ 50 mph + for someone else; we have a problem!

I read that India is breaking the $2500. price with the Tata, and I also saw another article on EV World mentioining the Kanso. Those would sure require an attitude change on these shores!

countersTrike

trebuchet03 01-10-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennelson (Post 4762)
It seems like everyone wants an EV that has unlimited range, power, speed, AND is affordable.

How many people NEED to be able to drive 120 miles a day? That is one insane commute!

For me.. I don't need it daily... I need 200 miles in one go about every other month.... Which, given my current usage, doesn't make it economical to rent a car every other month.

For me - economics comes before environmental due to my economic situation. But, that doesn't mean I won't conserve what I've got :)

Hell, I'd love to be able to afford to own both an EV and a gasser... But I can't even afford the insurance for that :p In an case, give my usage, it will never pay for itself...

cfg83 01-10-2008 08:36 PM

Daox -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 4791)
Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who NEED 100+ miles on one charge. I have roughly a 37 mile commute one way, totals up to 73ish miles each day (West Bend to Miller Park area). Add on any other places to visit to and from work, and some extra capacity for when the batteries get older and that puts it at around 100 miles. However, I could probably get away with an incredibly small and simple car, maybe even a one seater. I don't need any luxuries besides heat for winter.

I am similar in terms of 75ish miles per day. I want the 25 mile buffer so that I can add errands to my trip without having to worry about it.

Hmmmmm. If the net savings in fuel cost offsets the cost of the insurance, then I think that would be a win, because then it would be like running two cars for the price of one. I don't mind the initial cost in this scenario because I could afford to keep both cars. In my present situation, I can't justify owning a second car because of the cost of insurance.

CarloSW2

duca 01-11-2008 03:52 PM

Hi All, I'd go with this one an EV conversion of a fiat 500, the old one! :-)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/Ee4v7nlUM9M[/youtube]

SVOboy 01-11-2008 04:03 PM

Sweet video! I hope you don't mind that I changed the link to an embedded video, :)

Welcome to the site, duca!

newtonsfirstlaw 01-11-2008 06:15 PM

For 500km of range @80kph, the WAW would need about 7kWh of battery. Does anyone know how heavy that much battery would be?

cfg83 01-11-2008 07:02 PM

Hello -

Here's one that get's pretty close to our specs :

Mitsubishi i-EV
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...tsubishi-i-EV/
Quote:

Just another pie-in-the-sky electric concept car, right?

Wrong, for two reasons. Firstly, we’ve driven it: CAR Online is the first to get behind the wheel of the Mitsubishi i-EV. Second, Mitsubishi reckons it can have it on sale in the UK as early as next year - though 2009 seem a safer bet – for under fifteen grand. That will buy you a properly engineered, four-seat city car with a decent boot, an 80mph top speed, a 100-mile range and a charge time of as little as half an hour.

CarloSW2

trebuchet03 01-11-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 5050)
Hello -

Here's one that get's pretty close to our specs :

Mitsubishi i-EV
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...tsubishi-i-EV/

CarloSW2

That.. is cool... And I could probably work with that... If I can go 100 miles at ~70mph - then take a break while recharging for 30 mins... I could do that. Not sure the charge infrastructure is available though.

Hell, if I could put a hitch on and add a portable generator to charge while en route... I would totally go for it...

Price is still out of me league - but much much closer to acceptable... Perhaps once I've got a job....

trebuchet03 01-11-2008 07:21 PM

Wait a second... is that 15,000 pounds? for 15,000 dollars? Because it mentions the average standard car is 9 grand... And I don't know of any production cars for 9,000 dollars :p

$30,000 is def. too much for me and for awhile :p

cfg83 01-11-2008 07:34 PM

trebuchet03 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 5056)
Wait a second... is that 15,000 pounds? for 15,000 dollars? Because it mentions the average standard car is 9 grand... And I don't know of any production cars for 9,000 dollars :p

$30,000 is def. too much for me and for awhile :p

Rats and double rats!!!!!! I'll bet you're right. Damn my USA-dollar-centric mind!!!

$30K US is a lot. I think $20K should be the goal. That's still a lot, but falls within the price range of a new compact car with lots of goodies.

CarloSW2

Stan 01-22-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 4105)
Assuming you would buy an EV given certain conditions, what would they be?

For example, for me I would do a conversion on my current car and would need to have a steady job, ~10k, and a reasonably short commuter but still one that is too long to bike every day (meaning something like a 20 mile each way commute) so that range would need to be ~100 miles.

What about you? What kind of specs and price would it take to go EV?

I have never driven an EV, but since I regularly have to drive longish distances and am on a very modest budget, I think for me to become seriously interested in an EV it would have to have something like this:

http://www.acpropulsion.com/vehicles...railer_JPG.jpg