EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   What is the value of 100MPG (without mods!) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/what-value-100mpg-without-mods-11132.html)

hyperMPGaccord 11-24-2009 10:21 AM

What is the value of 100MPG (without mods!)

What would the average consumer be willing to pay for a car that got 100mpg?

Following the recent events with the Automotive X-prize, would the consumer be caught dead in a car that looks as terrible as those do? Is anyone considering buying one of these things?

I would love to see a real OEM produce one of the 100mpg + cars. (Not GM's Volt : cause we know that won't work)

Frank Lee 11-24-2009 11:16 AM

It all depends on when that question is asked.

If you would have asked in the first two week period when gas hit $3, and then in the one week period after it hit $4, you would have found many hysterical motorists who would have taken out a second mortgage for all they could get for a 100 mpg vehicle.

When gas is "cheap"- forget it. Unless you can make it look like a Silverado.

thatguitarguy 11-24-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 141309)
It all depends on when that question is asked.

If you would have asked in the first two week period when gas hit $3, and then in the one week period after it hit $4, you would have found many hysterical motorists who would have taken out a second mortgage for all they could get for a 100 mpg vehicle.

When gas is "cheap"- forget it. Unless you can make it look like a Silverado.

When is definitely the question, because these days a second mortgage might not buy you that 74 Pinto... :(

tasdrouille 11-24-2009 12:19 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...or was it beer holder...I think it's both...but anyway. What looks terrible now is different then what looked terrible in the past and what will look terrible in the future. The problem is our perception of what looks terrible changes vvveeerrryyyy slowly.

In the short term it's gonna be all about the money, just like Frank said.

jamesqf 11-24-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperMPGaccord (Post 141298)
Following the recent events with the Automotive X-prize, would the consumer be caught dead in a car that looks as terrible as those do? Is anyone considering buying one of these things?

Maybe you could post a link or two, or some pictures so we could understand what you're talking about. I did a quick search, and the little brick-like commuter car is the only one I think even approaches terrible. Most of them are effing gorgeous.

And yes, if I'd had a spare $110K sitting around, there'd be a Tesla in my driveway now. Or an Aptera, if they'd just start shipping...

user removed 11-24-2009 01:35 PM

Having just received my Patent for my in wheel hydraulic IVT, I would suggest saving your money for the time being.

100 MPG could very well be available for the regular price of a simple economy car, less than $12k, in a very few years, if I can get this idea into the mainstream knowledge base and manufacturers actually start producing the design.

Also the vehicle would be much simpler to maintain and repair than anything now available without the issue of expensive battery replacement after a few years.

regards
Mech

dcb 11-24-2009 01:58 PM

Hows that for optimism :)

Unless it is public domain, it will get bogged down in money issues for another decade.

hyperMPGaccord 11-24-2009 03:32 PM

X Prize Contestants

[QUOTE=jamesqf;141325]Maybe you could post a link or two, or some pictures so we could understand what you're talking about. QUOTE]

2009 SEMA Pictures: 2009 SEMA Automotive X-Prize Contestants

Here are some of the contestants.

Even if the price of gas is $3 now, and going up. If you by a car getting 25mpg now for 20,000. What is a car getting 100mgp worth over the 5 years of ownership? Just based on gasoline savings (~$9000) over 5 years.

What would you pay? (20,000 +, 30,000...... free?)

pgfpro 11-24-2009 03:46 PM

[QUOTE=hyperMPGaccord;141358]
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 141325)
Maybe you could post a link or two, or some pictures so we could understand what you're talking about. QUOTE]

Even if the price of gas is $3 now, and going up. If you by a car getting 25mpg now for 20,000. What is a car getting 100mgp worth over the 5 years of ownership? Just based on gasoline savings (~$9000) over 5 years.

I love the looks of all those cars.:thumbup:

I would pay around 30k for one. To be able to go 1000 miles on 10 gallons would be way cool!!!

Frank Lee 11-24-2009 06:23 PM

[QUOTE=hyperMPGaccord;141358]
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 141325)
Maybe you could post a link or two, or some pictures so we could understand what you're talking about. QUOTE]

Yeesh- definitely some dubious styling choices there! http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...-smiley-31.gif

What 5 years of ownership? I'm like the Hotel California of cars- I am programmed to receive and they can never leave!