EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   What would you buy? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/what-would-you-buy-6774.html)

GasGuage 01-15-2009 09:53 AM

What would you buy?

I'm looking to buy a good preowned car for my wife to replace her daily commute in a Dodge Durango. Arggg.. Her constant needing fuel & getting into my pockets has grown terribly old when I only need to refuel about once a month. Although the Dodge still has it's uses to pull a pontoon, or utility trailer on occasion. I will need to stick with an auto for her due to knee replacements. For FE reasons, what would you buy in the 2004-preowned 2008 models. And what would make your choice so appealing to you? I'm looking for maximum mpg.

Frank Lee 01-15-2009 10:37 AM

After a Durango dang near anything will seem like a sipper.

Sillst 01-15-2009 11:46 AM

Well I'm wondering how much you have to spend, assuming no limit on money, a prius is a very solid choice and its an auto.
Otherwards you can never go wrong with a civic or a similar small car

malibuguy 01-15-2009 11:52 AM

Tercel

Christopher Jordan 01-15-2009 12:32 PM

Aspire, of course......... :D (no, just kidding!) Some more current Ford I guess, since Ford is getting all that free bailout money- loan or whatever it is called.

Frank Lee 01-15-2009 01:29 PM

Wat? :confused:

Ford is the ONLY one that said it didn't need any bailout money... yet.

GasGuage 01-15-2009 03:52 PM

Yeah, the Durago stinks it up a little bit. She can only muster 15-16mpg. I squeezed 18 out of it & that was trying hard. It's a good puller tho.

Pre owned Hybrids are hard to find. I was thinking more of a Corolla S or LE. Although I am open to other makes & models. I just want her (&me) to be happy with the next car. FE, maintenance, reliability, etc..

Christ 01-15-2009 04:38 PM

Focii get decent gas mileage, from Ford.
Cavalier or Aveo also good, from Chevy.
For Dodge, you can look at a Neon or even the lesser Magnum, which can get into the 20's easily, and has been known to hit 30's in some people's hands.

All of these cars are quite miserly, compared to the Durango, all can be had used for under $5000 at certain times, except the Magnum.. you'd be hard pressed to find one used for sale unless it's at a dealer, at least around here.

Ryland 01-16-2009 12:55 AM

for a price you can find any car, I say go with the insight.
otherwise pretty much any small car, t
the corrola S will get worse mileage then the base model and will cost more so pay less to get more? seems like a good deal to me they also tend to run forever needing only tires, oil changes and exhaust every few years.

Christ 01-16-2009 01:14 AM

Exhaust every few years? Since when? I've never seen a car that the exhaust system needed to be replaced every few years, in fact I've driven 30 year old cars that had the OEM pieces on them... explain?