EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   What's the deal with Progressive Insurance? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/whats-deal-progressive-insurance-31524.html)

redpoint5 03-12-2015 01:17 AM

What's the deal with Progressive Insurance?

I thought I had paid my premium months ago, but today received a message saying my coverage is dropped and I'm no longer a customer. The renewal amount for 6 months liability coverage on 4 vehicles was $752, the amount I thought I had already paid.

Since it lapsed, I signed on to see if I could just pay the $752 and resume coverage. The website recognized that I wanted to continue insurance, but quoted me $817 to continue.

Frustrated, I opened a different browser and went through the quote process. For the same coverage, I was offered insurance for $717!

How can starting a new policy save me a hundred bucks when supposedly I was saving money by being a loyal customer in the "diamond" program?

Is rate creep a practice used by all insurance companies?

I notice the same crap with other services such as internet. If you remain a customer, you loose the $30/month introductory internet deal and the price goes to $75. I just switch back and forth between CenturyLink DSL and Comcast cable every 12 months to stay in the "introductory" rate.

They would make much more money from me if they just left my rate alone. It's like they think I am going to accept the ridiculous price purely out of inertia and laziness.

Now if only I could figure out how to get rid of the absurd sewage bill...

Frank Lee 03-12-2015 01:50 AM

Progressive is quite stupid that way. I'd been a customer for many years; did the "Snapshot" thing and got the max 30% discount. It wasn't long before that discount didn't feel like a discount at all- really fast rate creep. Shopped around, found better rates. Called Progressive and said ^ and they couldn't have cared less so I switched. So much for loyalty programs and getting a fistful of "discounts". :mad:

freebeard 03-12-2015 03:04 AM

I'd been with some other company for 20+ years, but I put in a claim at the beginning of the year and I had to push back against their settlement offer for a month and a half before they deigned to pay the claim. I was looking at lower rates offered by other companies, but it sounds [too good to be true].

Now I'm held up by back-ordered parts.

I got locked in with Centurylink for five years. That reminds me, it won't go on forever. I'm looking forward to the LEO swarm that will bring everyone connectivity at a disruptive price.

2000mc 03-12-2015 03:50 AM

Sounds like a common thing...
Reading This on IE or Safari? You're Likely Paying More for Car Insurance - DailyFinance

users of certain browsers paid as much as 23 percent more. ...average user of Internet Explorer or Safari user pays $750 for car insurance every six months. By comparison, Chrome users pay $731 and Firefox users pay the least -- $608.

redpoint5 03-12-2015 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000mc (Post 471368)
users of certain browsers paid as much as 23 percent more. ...average user of Internet Explorer or Safari user pays $750 for car insurance every six months. By comparison, Chrome users pay $731 and Firefox users pay the least -- $608.

I like those kind of statistics. It's fun to speculate why there is a correlation.

My browsers- Firefox at work, Chrome at home, and Safari on the work-issued iPhone.

Occasionally6 03-12-2015 08:05 AM

In my experience, they all do it. Many people will initially shop around for the best deal then simply renew, paying whatever is asked for the new policy.

I've also found the exact quote can vary with the same company depending on the day which it is obtained. I think there is a market that the insurance companies are in. It's worth watching quotes over a few days to weeks before you need to buy a policy.

It doesn't surprise me if we get profiled via web browser use either. If you have fly buy or loyalty card memberships you may get profiled through those also.

user removed 03-12-2015 08:49 AM

Just got the wife to switch tax preparers from our credit union to one of those that have been here forever, they offered to do the return for half price which saved us $108.
Next year I'll probably do it myself, I used to but SHE has trouble trusting me to get it right.

Continuous fight with Cox Cable to keep the cable bill (phone, cable tv and internet) below $150. Been with them 30 years.

Next continuous fight, is State Farm, the home owners insurance has gone from $500 to $800 a year, while the deductible has increased drastically. Last time we got a run around I had our account transferred to another agent two miles from home versus 25.
Also car insurance from State Farm who has covered both of us for close to 50 years.
I just ticks me off that the bike insurance is $108 a year but $80 of that is uninsured motorist. If that's the case the state needs to start busting people for no insurance. Last time I went through a state police license-registration check, the trooper refused to even look at my insurance card!

If you require insurance why do you REFUSE to even verify?

The car at $260 a year is hard to beat, even without the airbags. Maybe next time I'll get a quote for a 94 which had a drivers side air bag.

Sadly it seems like loyalty is going the way of the passenger pigeon.

It all reminds me of the "cash for clunkers" deal. Just another govt program to subsidize BAD behaviour, if your car gets more than x MPG you DONT qualify.

Got it you bunch of jerks :(:(:(.

regards
mech

dirtydave 03-12-2015 08:56 AM

Progressive messed up big time about a no fault accident in my vehicle when a friend was driving.
Such a massive headache. The worst is them telling you you can only talk to one person and they transfer the phone call and all you get is voice mail....

Daox 03-12-2015 09:21 AM

I semi-recently switched to Geico after being with American Family for over a decade (changed due to massive savings). I've renewed once with them so far and my rates actually went down a little. I was quite shocked and happy. We'll see how things continue, but they had excellent rates to begin with.

I've heard Progressive is... well progressive with their pricing, start low and ramp you up. I've heard it happen to a bunch of people.

Xusn96 03-12-2015 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000mc (Post 471368)
Sounds like a common thing...
Reading This on IE or Safari? You're Likely Paying More for Car Insurance - DailyFinance

Dafuq??????????????????????:eek::eek::eek::eek: