EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Whats with some of the advertisements here? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/whats-some-advertisements-here-18436.html)

Floordford 08-08-2011 11:25 AM

Whats with some of the advertisements here?

I don't want to ruffle feathers but I recall this site being for modifications that are tested and work. Things that are tried and true. Ive seen advertisements that are outlandish. I know that money needs to come in from somewhere to support the site but a few of these are text book gimick and do nothing but give your wallet a weight reduction.
Rant over.

Daox 08-08-2011 12:19 PM

The ads are mainly furnished by google. It searches your browser history and finds ads that relate to the topics you have been browsing. Some of it is garbage and some isn't, just like if you were watching TV. We can't control exactly what google puts up on the ads.

The alternative is you can donate some coin and get rid of the ads all together.

dcb 08-08-2011 12:29 PM

Yes, donate, best way.

The nerdy among us may also want to modify their hosts file or their firewall and block the syndication thingy. That's all I'm gonna say about that :)

MetroMPG 08-08-2011 12:30 PM

I've seen some hilariously bad ads too - stuff that doesn't even deserve discussion in the Unicorn Corral.

For a while, we tried to block obviously scammy ads, but the replacements crop up so fast, it wasn't worth the time.

Now I just sort of consider them an ignorance tax, if someone clicks a dubious one. :D

mcrews 08-08-2011 01:29 PM

Donate......DONATE..........:thumbup:

euromodder 08-08-2011 02:23 PM

Or use an add-blocker or browser with add-blocking function built in.

I only see white space where the adds are supposed to be, and a line to donate to remove the pesky adds.

Arragonis 08-08-2011 02:33 PM

Ahem, I've donated - in terms of stickers and otherwise, and I still get invited to date someone in Poland...

Piwoslaw 08-08-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 254999)
Ahem, I've donated - in terms of stickers and otherwise, and I still get invited to date someone in Poland...

Maybe it's someone I know?:eek:

Hopefully you can at least read the ads, I was getting 'em in Russian.
My donation got rid of that.

Arragonis 08-08-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 255005)
Maybe it's someone I know?:eek:

Hopefully you can at least read the ads, I was getting 'em in Russian.
My donation got rid of that.

Could you ask em for me? I had to moan about the stickers too for about a year... :rolleyes:

Still, great site though no ?

Arragonis 08-08-2011 03:15 PM

PS - anyone else annoyed - go get Firefox and Flashblock. Google it. Gets rid of all sorts of cr@p.