EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   What's in your trunk? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/whats-your-trunk-9356.html)

Piwoslaw 07-23-2009 02:34 AM

What's in your trunk?

When reading hyperyaris' thread about rear seat removal, I thought that there should be a thread in which everyone could brag about the junk in their trunk. Admitting it is the first step, etc. ;)

So here's what's in mine:
  • First aid kit, reflective triangle and fire extiguisher - all required by law,
  • tools for unscrewing wheels and lowering the spare,
  • old rag (for cleaning hands),
  • cloth bag for shopping,
  • a few bungee cords,
  • spare bulbs,
  • umbrella,
  • blanket (to put under messy or sharp cargo),
  • toilet paper (made from recycled paper, mostly used for whiping nose),
  • rubber thingy for scraping ice.
And that's it. The spare is under the car. There is also a small pocket knife/pliers and tape measure in the glove compartment. The only thing that is missing is a flashlight, but when on long trips I usually have one in my backpack. Once the aeromods are in place I'll probably throw in a screwdriver.
By getting rid of everything I don't really absolutely need may save an extra 5-10kg, but I think that what I have is a good minimum.

chuckm 07-23-2009 07:26 AM

Small tool kit, umbrella, dirt. The spare is under the false floor.

McTimson 07-23-2009 07:42 AM

Jack, spare tire, bottle of oil, and 2 sleeping bags in the trunk.

Back seat has a bag of tools, including 3/8" socket set, couple of screw drivers and smaller pliers, vise grips, channel locks, a 1 foot section of pipe for a mini breaker bar, and a bunch of various nuts and bolts. And, a Tercel Haynes manual.

gone-ot 07-23-2009 09:35 AM

...nada! I'm already aware that WEIGHT = FE loss, to the tune of about 1-2% per every 100 pounds (from EPA data).

...for those interested in *where* the EPA got this number, here's the basic equation:

(w1/w2)^0.72 = (mpg2/mpg1)

candas1 07-23-2009 11:43 AM

My trunk is clean but I plan to save 10 kg, I'm on a diet... :)

Matt Herring 07-23-2009 12:45 PM

Golf clubs and golf shoes are the only thing I keep in my trunk that is not associated with the vehicle...(spare tire and jack are in false trunk with some small car cleaning supplies). The clubs weigh about 15 pounds...I am heavily addicted to golf and I'm ready to play at a moments notice...a weight allowance I am willing/have to make!

vtec-e 07-23-2009 01:39 PM

Whats in mine? Nada!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-vt...7-23072009.jpg
Apart from the spare wheel and jack....

ollie

jamesqf 07-23-2009 01:50 PM

I don't have a trunk - it's a hatchback. But what gets carried back there is (usually) one Border Collie (a bit over 50 lbs), her blanket, and a couple of empty grocery bags for when I need to stop at the store. The under-floor compartment has the usual spare tire, jack, &c, and tire chains in winter.

MetroMPG 07-23-2009 03:04 PM

I go back and forth between keeping the spare tire & tools in the back, and having it empty. Currently they're in there. But the rear seat has been out of the car for quite a while now - over a year.

IsaacCarlson 07-23-2009 06:31 PM

I'll tell you what WAS in my trunk as of 1 hour ago...

about 350 STINKIN POUNDS OF TOOLS!!!!!!!!! talk about sluggish, man! It took a lot longer to get to 50 than normal. and the back end was definitely lower and very rolly. but now that i have removed all of the chrome and steel, its a LOT better. ill give you the rough list.

1 steel trolley jack
1 set of wrenches from 5/32 to i think 1 7/8
1 set of wrenches from 5mm to 34mm
1 24 inch crescent wrench and multiple smaller ones (total of about 6)
2 1/2 inch torque wrenches
1 set of lug sockets
files
gear pullers
several sets of regular sockets
ratchets, tiedowns, etc
10 or 15 screwdrivers
1 tub of wheel bearing/brake grease
1 24 inch 1/2 drive breaker bar
and of course the SPARE
Well, you get the picture. HEAVY
and i didn't realize i left it all in there 4 days ago! go figure.

hyperyaris 07-23-2009 09:03 PM

sheet metal

bucknmusky 07-23-2009 10:33 PM

besides the battery, nothing!! i moved the battery to the trunk via heavy gauge jumper cable cord as a battery relocation project to open up room under the hood to install ductwork to pull warm air from behind the radiatordirectly to the intake and the battery was in the way. as far as the rest of the trunk I even removed the lining carpet to save weight, and why have a finished interior when nothing goes in there anyway.

brucepick 07-24-2009 05:41 AM

My tools are in the trunk. Not absolutely all my tools, but most of my hand tools.

With a 50-60 mile commute and older cars, I've had occasions over the years where those tools allowed me to get home or to work.

DonR 07-24-2009 11:27 AM

Junk.

Seriously,

Quart of oil
Spacesaver spare
Jack
Umbrella
Jumper cables

Piwoslaw 06-16-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 117293)
I go back and forth between keeping the spare tire & tools in the back, and having it empty. Currently they're in there. But the rear seat has been out of the car for quite a while now - over a year.

I used to remove the rear seats only when planning to haul something big, but during the last few months I've transitioned to installing them only when expecting extra passengers.
Yes, I've been through the following ritual:
- I'd love to give y'all a lift, but I have only one empty seat.
- But I thought your car is a 7-seater?
- It is, but I have only one empty seat.

(I'm bumping this thread, in case you haven't noticed...:p)

Frank Lee 06-16-2010 08:19 PM

But if the seats are out of the most eco car, the best carpooling/ridesharing option is DOA!

ECONORAM 06-16-2010 09:09 PM

This varies from winter to summer.
Winter load: couple jugs of water, a couple MREs, one or two blankets, 300 pounds of sand (over the rear axle), tire chains, flashlight, 2 pr work gloves, carabeener, umbrella, ice scraper, microfiber cloth, jack, tow rope, jumper cables, spare drive belt, first aid kit, tissues, spare tire is behind rear axle.
Summer load: flashlight, 1 pr work gloves, umbrella, microfiber cloth, jack, tow rope, jumper cables, spare drive belt, first aid kit, tissues, spare tire.

gascort 06-16-2010 09:59 PM

In the trunk area:
space saver spare
lug wrench
bicycle - type air pump
paper /plastic grocery bags
old blanket
bungee cords stuck to ceiling
half quart of oil

Hidden in compartments intended for parking light access:
$5 socket set
$5 wrench set
electrical tape
screwdrivers
crescent wrench
nut driver for sheetmetal screws on aeromods
knife
fluorescent cigarette - lighter powered light

Hidden in compartments that used to house rear 6x9" speakers (blown so I removed them):
scissor jack
jumper cables
old sweatshirt and baggy old jeans that I can wear over dress clothes if necessary

In the rest of the car, I keep a tire gauge (duh!), several refilled bottles with water (for people or for the car to drink) an air freshner, two child car seats, a battery powered flashlight that also has red LED strobes in the front of the car; my daughter likes to play with it at night on road trips. Luckily LEDs don't use hardly any juice.

I feel good that the back of the car looks empty of valuables; I never lock it.

I need to add:
needle nose and regular pliers

I also like the idea that Piwoslaw mentioned - law requiring a fire extinguisher. I should get one too and make it easily accessible to others from outside. Maybe on the back of the hatch, under the Kammback, or maybe that would be too tempting to immature boys walking by.

Arragonis 06-17-2010 04:38 AM

Formaldehyde, rope, roll of old carpet...

Piwoslaw 06-17-2010 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 179410)

... cement blocks. For better traction, of course;)

Laurentiu 06-17-2010 07:03 AM

nothing much, except for spare tire+jack (about 10kg for that) and another 4-5 kg of few basic tools, wires, few bulbs, 500ml of screen wash (too much dust here in Cyprus so use the wipers daily despite no rain for 6-7 months/year) ...that's about it...

sl2eggplant 06-17-2010 11:20 AM

I removed my front passenger seat and it has opened up the car (99 Saturn SL2) considerably. The back seats are foldable and hide the stuff in the trunk. I can now easily carry things that are long like the 2x4x8 studs.

Stuff in the trunk includes the heavy full size spare and necessary tire changing tools.

AeroModder 06-17-2010 11:56 AM

Used to not carry my spare, but I'm going to be going on a trip soon, and I don't want to forget. So,

Full-size spare
Jack and lug wrench
Can of fix-a-flat (for nails)
Jumper Cables
Gas can (empty)
Funnel
Towel
Small elastic strap

spydyr 06-17-2010 12:04 PM

Jumper cables, and my spare.

The only time i usually have anything in my trunk is when I am going to the dump.

ShadeTreeMech 06-17-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 179410)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 179411)
... cement blocks. For better traction, of course;)

And I thought you had front wheel drive.

LOL I wonder if anyone else caught this combination! :rolleyes:

TheEnemy 06-17-2010 12:56 PM

The truck:
Back seat

3/8 metric socket set, screw drivers, metric wrenches.
small 12v air compressor
Jack and lug wrench
quart of oil
Jumper cables
First aid kit
jump seats (fold into the sides)

Full size spare under the bed.

The bed (gets used as a work bench alot)
hack saw
Tape measure
3 pickets left over from fixing the fence
dirt left over from moving dirt

The Jeep
enough tools to probably dismantle the whole thing (weighs about 20 lbs)
Short handled shovel
Tow chain
Tow strap
48" high lift jack
Matching spare
1 gallon pre mixed anti-freeze
1-2 quarts of oil
spare ujoint
bailing wire
duct tape
10' fuel line with filter(left over from recovering from a break down on a trail)
hose clamps
TP
Cinder block (step stool for wife)

And its not even fully stocked yet.

FSUspectra 06-17-2010 12:57 PM

Let's see...

http://inlinethumb31.webshots.com/44...600x600Q85.jpg

Seen:
turnout gear (volunteer firefighter)
dry socks
spare t-shirt
rope
spotlight
windshield reflector
bungee cords

under floor- spare tire, jack, cigarette plug powered compressor

also usually a medical jumpbag and jumper cables that are in my wife's car since we used it for a trip this past weekend