EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Where to buy pad type engine block heaters? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/where-buy-pad-type-engine-block-heaters-5393.html)

extragoode 10-04-2008 01:24 PM

Where to buy pad type engine block heaters?

I found some last winter (about the time it started getting warm again), but can't seem to find them any where now. They looked kind of like heating for your back or something, but were attached with a high temp silicone and came in wattages around 500w. Does any body know where I can get one and maybe a few smaller wattage ones? Part of my problem is that I don't even know what they're called, so it's difficult to search for them. If you even know what to call it, that would help me out a bunch. I did a search on here because I thought I remembered seeing them mentioned, but the first two or three pages of results only turned up bolt on block types, inline water types and oil plug types. Is there some reason nobody uses these?

My ultimate goal is to have one on the oil, water, trans, and front and rear diffs. All that should stay under 1000w.

TestDrive 10-04-2008 02:02 PM

eBay item 300182760768 Hot-Pad Universal Engine Heater

MetroMPG 10-04-2008 02:02 PM

The only pad type heaters I've seen were battery warmers/battery blankets. Search on that and you might get some results.

Jetta90GL 10-04-2008 06:18 PM

I bought some made by Katz to stick on the bottom of my WVO tank. I think they were 200 watts each. There don't seem to be much info about them online, but I bought mine from Fleet Farm. I checked their site and there is a store in your state. The store by me tends to only stock them around this time of the year though.

RH77 10-04-2008 08:37 PM

I wish public places had the option for plug-in connectivity.

My car is often parked at the airport lot, which in the Winter, gets cold and very inefficient on cold starts (plus delayed TC engagement, ugh). I'd pay extra for a plug-in spot (even if it's a mile away from the terminal -- and have to walk it and freeze my arse).

I seriously recommend an OEM engine-block heater. I'm fairly inept when it comes to repairs, but I was able to manage an EBH install. It works incredibly in the Winter when AC access is obtained. Look to the dealer for a part. The extra cost may be worth it.

RH77

lyd 10-04-2008 10:37 PM

Serendipity! I was just about to start a similar thread.

I realized today two things. First, that my transmission felt like someone filled the shifter boot with oatmeal this morning, and it wasn't even below freezing yet. Second, that my normal commute once the new job starts up is only going to be about 9 miles.

Even if I wasn't thinking about FE, all those cold miles are going to be hard on my old Metro.

I'm going to try to swap out for Synchromesh in the trans as soon as I can, but I was thinking of trying to do some electric heating for it and the engine oil as well. Couple hours in the morning on a timer, I was hoping would do the trick.

How effective are the pad type?

orange4boy 10-04-2008 10:53 PM

Pad heaters

Site with lots of info but they are not very online-purchase friendly.

Flexible Heater Pads. The best car heater, diesel engine heater, replaces block heater, magnetic heater, ideal for volkswagen beetle,

This next one looks better. Just scroll down a bit. They seem to have every kind of heater

Kats automotive heater list for car, trucks, RV, trailers & home use.

metromizer 10-05-2008 01:45 AM

Jeg's online, made by Moroso
Moroso Self-Adhesive Heating Pads - JEGS
5" x 7" 400 watt

extragoode 10-05-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange4boy (Post 65270)
Site with lots of info but they are not very online-purchase friendly.

Flexible Heater Pads. The best car heater, diesel engine heater, replaces block heater, magnetic heater, ideal for volkswagen beetle,

This next one looks better. Just scroll down a bit. They seem to have every kind of heater

Kats automotive heater list for car, trucks, RV, trailers & home use.

Thanks everybody for the info. I sent an email off to the guys in the first link here for pricing and more info. They seem like a distributor or something, so if group buy is required or encouraged, I'll make sure to post it here.

I'm really interested in the 12V model they have. I was looking at a 55AH AGM that is a drop in replacement for my current battery. If I had a timer that worker for 12V/20A like the one I have for 120V/15A then I could set it to warm just the engine oil for an hour off the battery, then shut off and still have enough to start the truck (if I need it, when I get the right parking spot I can roll start it). Then I've got a 50A charger at home. Plugging it in would allow 20A for the warmer and 30A to recharge the battery. Another hour should be fine for that in the morning. Would it hurt an AGM to sit half dead for 10-12 hours?

orange4boy 10-05-2008 04:08 PM

The less time the better discharged but 12 hours is not too bad. More important is whether it's deep cycle. A starting battery will not tolerate that kind of cycling for very long.

You would want something like a yellow top if you like the AGM. Or a deep cycle flooded. Don't bother with dual purpose starting / deep cycle, a deep cycle should start just about anything.

If money is not an issue then a battery warmer would help too. You get much better output and amp hours from a warm battery. And if you are running all those pads then you will need the capacity.

The only caveat I would give you is that charging a deep cycle with your alternator would hurt your FE a bit. An ideal system would be a regular starting battery and a deep cycle you charge at home for all your heaters.

I was looking at those 12v pads too. Good for people who can't plug in.