EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Why aren't trucks wide enough? Jason question. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/why-arent-trucks-wide-enough-jason-question-41130.html)

redpoint5 10-06-2023 11:15 PM

Why aren't trucks wide enough? Jason question.

Just noticed that every truck recently made has wheels that extend out wider than the body, which is why the fender flares have to be added to enclose them. Why not make the body wider and thereby increase interior volume instead? Can't afford the extra frontal area?

Had that thought while looking at the Cybertruck and noticing the plastic fender flares that look out of place.

https://images.hindustantimes.com/au...189390787.jpeg

freebeard 10-06-2023 11:31 PM

The last faint echo of the pontoon fender era. I blame the Willys MB.

Short term, the box shape led to Ford kicking their postwar design to the French and going to the Shoebox Ford. But on a longer scale, the CJ got it's fender flares.

edit:
An interesting case is the 1950 Studebaker truck.

https://hymanltd.com/wp-content/uplo...14/09/5270.jpg
hymanltd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/5270.jpg

Earlier models are clearly a stepside. Is this a stepside or slabside bed?

Piotrsko 10-07-2023 09:52 AM

The flares are added to reduce wet spray, more glamorous than the flaps on a commercial vehicle and keep some of the road dirt off the body. In order to get clearance for those wide large diameter tires you need to change the offset of the rim so the tire doesn't hit suspension when turning corners. That change in offset sticks the edge of the tire further out in the windstream. Ever see a 4wd covered in wheel spray gunk?

As for wide enough: not a consumer demand. You can almost put a full sized twin bed mattress flat on the rear seat of my F250, but it's a huge pain to park in most shopping centers between the lines and still get the doors open.

Isaac Zachary 10-08-2023 01:42 AM

1. The wheels have to be far enough out to make room for a wide enough bed. Making the whole vehicle wide to fit would likely increase air drag.
  2. Fuel consumption rules are based off of wheel base width and length. So it would make sense to make a smaller truck and find ways to make the wheel base wider at the same time to make it easier to meet CAFE standards.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 10-08-2023 02:14 PM

An interesting example to compare might be the current generation of the Suzuki Jimny. The international model, also available in Japan despite the higher taxation, has the fender flares, and the wheels have a different offset and are wider too, while the kei model specific for Japan doesn't have fender flares in order to keep width within the kei-jidosha class limits, and AFAIK its tires are also narrower.

No surprise most of the ancient trucks also tend to have narrower tires?

freebeard 10-08-2023 02:48 PM

The Samurai (like my brother's 84 model) got the wide track because of problems with roll-overs. He's only rolled his once. :)

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 10-10-2023 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 688441)
The Samurai (like my brother's 84 model) got the wide track because of problems with roll-overs.

AFAIK that was only for some export-bound models, while JDM kei versions and other international markets retained the narrow track.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...e%20frente.jpg
But anyway, the current generation has the very same axles for both the JDM kei model and the international versions. The difference is basically wheels offset, and a different bolt pattern to prevent interchangeability between the wider-track wheels of this version and the narrower ones of the kei. Gear ratio is even the same for the AT versions, both for the 660cc turbocharged engine fitted to the kei and the 1.5L naturally-aspirated fitted to the Jimny Sierra.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...0de%20trás.jpg

freebeard 10-10-2023 05:45 PM

Quote:

AFAIK that was only for some export-bound models,
Countries where the owneres complained to their government when they could keep them upright?

IIRC my brothe's went over on black ice.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 10-14-2023 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 688508)
Countries where the owneres complained to their government when they could keep them upright?

AFAIK it had nothing to do with the nanny-state.

freebeard 10-14-2023 02:51 PM

Quote:

Countries where the owneres complained to their government when they could[n't} keep them upright?
I need an editor.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 10-19-2023 10:34 PM

20 years ago I used to think these looked big and heavy...
https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...%20Vanessa.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...%20Vanessa.jpg
Now I am quite surprised that, despite being taller, a traditional old-school SUV may be actually shorter, and even narrower, than some compact sedans available here.

wax87 10-20-2023 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 688388)
Just noticed that every truck recently made has wheels that extend out wider than the body, which is why the fender flares have to be added to enclose them. Why not make the body wider and thereby increase interior volume instead? Can't afford the extra frontal area?

Had that thought while looking at the Cybertruck and noticing the plastic fender flares that look out of place.

https://images.hindustantimes.com/au...189390787.jpeg

widening the truck would add too much weight

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-16-2023 08:12 PM

Almost as narrow as a Honda Fit, and shorter...
https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...e%20frente.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...0tr%C3%A1s.jpg

Meanwhile, the Jeep Wrangler was already becoming a somewhat oversized trail-cork.

freebeard 11-16-2023 10:54 PM

Not just rucks, Porsche as well....

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/77/55...ad9ab36184.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/77/55...ad9ab36184.jpg

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-26-2023 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 689452)
Not just rucks, Porsche as well....

A short while ago, in a day when I spotted a 912E, it was so easy to notice how Porsches grew quite substantially. Well, I see modern ones quite often...

Isaac Zachary 11-29-2023 05:51 PM

Did I not include the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azI3nqrHEXM

redpoint5 11-29-2023 07:49 PM

Ah, so before manufacturers could just build whatever wheelbase and fit the body nicely over, but now they've got to build a monster truck wheelbase and fit a smaller body over it, necessitating the fender flares.

But, the CyberTruck isn't confined by those rules, so I wonder why it has massive fender flares?

Isaac Zachary 11-30-2023 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 689854)
But, the CyberTruck isn't confined by those rules, so I wonder why it has massive fender flares?

You wouldn't want it to look too diferently than the other trucks on the market.

redpoint5 11-30-2023 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary (Post 689870)
You wouldn't want it to look too diferently than the other trucks on the market.

At some point, the huge grill fad will die, and time will not be kind to the design aesthetic of this era. I suspect the same will happen with huge plastic fender flares. It will be like seeing spinners on a car now.

rmay635703 11-30-2023 08:03 PM

Searching for narrow body truck I got this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VeQTA4TcsXM

Lovely how ai makes up videos about truck announcements that never happened.

Isaac Zachary 11-30-2023 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 689898)
Searching for narrow body truck I got this

On the contrary, all the sub $20,000 cars are on their last year including the $16,000 Nissan Versa. In 2025 you better be able to pay at least $25,000 for the cheapest of cars.

redpoint5 11-30-2023 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary (Post 689899)
On the contrary, all the sub $20,000 cars are on their last year including the $16,000 Nissan Versa. In 2025 you better be able to pay at least $25,000 for the cheapest of cars.

I've always wondered why people of modest means purchase a new car in the first place?

I dated a girl once who bought not 1, but 2 brand new Chevy Aveos. She spent way more than I did on my Acura TSX. It didn't have AC. She'd drive around in a bikini in the summer.

Wonderful gal, but if I'm combining a bank account with someone, they've got to make good decisions on the big purchases. The underlying reason I broke up with her is that anyone could persuade her to do anything. Sounds fun, but nothing is without a cost.

Also, anyone willing to date a felon clearly makes poor decisions.

freebeard 11-30-2023 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703

AI hallucinations are a real thing.

redpoint5 11-30-2023 11:00 PM

I recently came to realize the only counter to exploitive AI is advocate AI. Else, live as freebeard.

freebeard 12-01-2023 01:12 AM

Quote:

Else, live as freebeard.
Xist is asking some AI about my taste in music. Do they all talk to each other? Yet....?

The AGI Exodus Thought Experiment: Will Intelligent Machines Leave Us Behind?

Maybe it just goes away and leaves us forlorn?

redpoint5 12-01-2023 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 689920)
Xist is asking some AI about my taste in music. Do they all talk to each other? Yet....?

The AGI Exodus Thought Experiment: Will Intelligent Machines Leave Us Behind?

Maybe it just goes away and leaves us forlorn?

Have you not yet watched "Her"?

freebeard 12-01-2023 01:09 PM

No, but I watched She.

rmay635703 12-01-2023 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 689906)
AI hallucinations are a real thing.

I think it was made to hallucinate a $15,000 new truck to get clicks and $$$$

Lots of channels now day’s shovel misinformation to stupid people for views.

It’s unfortunate the worst offenders of just pure tripe pretending to be information aren’t just demonetized

redpoint5 12-01-2023 02:20 PM

What annoys me is that advertising doesn't track the behavior of individuals. If they did, they will learn that I have never, not once, clicked an advertisement. Zero companies should be paying to advertise to me because it's a waste of their money.

Isaac Zachary 12-01-2023 02:24 PM

I will click on them or let them run on YouTube so that they have to pay for the advertisement, with no intention of viewing the advertisement or buying what they're sellling.

redpoint5 12-01-2023 02:30 PM

Human behavior also irritates me. If everyone stopped clicking advertisements, they would go away because they wouldn't be effective. Even better would be to make a point to buy a competitors product every time an advertisement or sales pitch is made.

... the hypocritical thing is, I say yes to 100% of kids doing a jog-a-thon or selling popcorn for new uniforms. Would rather just write a check directly to the thing they are raising money for and get nothing than have the 3rd party take half. Mostly I just am impressed when kids are willing to put in effort.

Isaac Zachary 12-01-2023 02:44 PM

Advertising is a business model. Right now a lot of things are 100% or near 100% funded from revenue from advertising. This includes the Android operating system (perhaps ChromeOS too) as well as any service from Google (YouTube, etc.) It also includes forums like this one.

If there were no advertising, would you want to pay to watch all on-line videos (maybe you should try Floatplane)? Would you want to pay to be on a forum?

I know people from other poorer countries who don't get ads because ads don't work there, but they still get the "free" services that are funded from our ads. In other words, me clicking on ads funds the internet services in places that otherwise probably wouldn't have them.

Isaac Zachary 12-01-2023 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 689904)
I've always wondered why people of modest means purchase a new car in the first place?

Doing some quick math, I noticed a Camry (maybe other cars are different) loses about 1/3 of it's value in 5 years. So a $30,000 becomes $20,000 in 5 years. If you plan on keeping the car 15 years, then it's going to cost $10,000 per every 5 years regardless if you buy new or 5 years used.

Of course getting into a $30,000 car means you'd need either a bigger down payment, longer loan term and/or bigger loan meaning you could end up paying more for interest and opportunity losses.

redpoint5 12-01-2023 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary (Post 689967)
Doing some quick math, I noticed a Camry (maybe other cars are different) loses about 1/3 of it's value in 5 years. So a $30,000 becomes $20,000 in 5 years. If you plan on keeping the car 15 years, then it's going to cost $10,000 per every 5 years regardless if you buy new or 5 years used.

That isn't typical.

Typical is;
10% depreciation driving off the lot
15% total depreciation in the year
50% total deprecation at 5 years
10% depreciation of remaining value every year after

Whacky used car pricing due to WuFlu response now has used cars at 40% depreciation after 5 years. We should expect things to return to normal at some point.

An example of a car retaining 70% value at 5 years is very atypical. Don't know why the Camry in specific retained value so well compared to the others.

My worthless anecdote is I paid $17k for a 4 year old car that sold for $30k when new. Another year of 10% depreciation would put it right at half value in 5 years.

My point is, someone can have a new Chevy Aveo with no AC, or for the same money can have a 4 year old Acura... or they can spend half as much on a 5 year old Aveo.

EDIT: After a decade and a half of avoiding Twitter, I now have to get an account if I want to see the Cybertruck delivery event. I don't even know what videos are doing on a stupid limited-character texting platform.

EDIT2: I keep clicking on the X logo thinking that's the X to close a window. Genius making a logo look like the universal close symbol.

rmay635703 12-02-2023 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary (Post 689963)
I will click on them or let them run on YouTube so that they have to pay for the advertisement, with no intention of viewing the advertisement or buying what they're sellling.

You also are giving the content creator a couple pennies which is good.

What sucks worse is fbook has removed the ability to block and hide crap reels and videos from mediocre accounts s, even if you report the video.

Lately I’ve been bombarded with all foreign language crap, since day 1 most of fbook has been foreign language for me and none of the fixes do anything, foreign bs even creeps into YouTube and there appears to be very little you can do to change it. Like my data harvesting profile I can’t touch got hacked.
Never left Wisconsin so not sure why I would get Asian, phillipino and east European crapola. Delete accounts make new same bs.

Piotrsko 12-02-2023 10:20 AM

Dunno about the foreign stuff..... wife was researching our trip to Spain and everything started showing up in Spanish. With the heavy blockers and filters I was running, I was even getting leaks. Went in and cleared all her history and preferences which caused consternation but after a week stuff returned to normal. Had a long and nasty conversation about net security, month later she's back to her old bad habits.

rmay635703 12-02-2023 10:31 AM

I only use the same couple dozen sites and have forever (pretty tame forums and email), the foreign nonsense started when I was forced to make a facebook account.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-05-2023 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary (Post 689966)
I know people from other poorer countries who don't get ads because ads don't work there, but they still get the "free" services that are funded from our ads. In other words, me clicking on ads funds the internet services in places that otherwise probably wouldn't have them.

Odd enough, there is still a lot of ads in poorer countries, even though folks may not buy whatever is advertised. Not to mention ads are often segmented according to each location. While you may see a lot of hi-tech stuff in the ads shown to you, someone else may see ads for simpler stuff or even for a local supermarket chain where some random staple food item is available at a heavily discounted price.

Isaac Zachary 12-05-2023 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 690131)
Odd enough, there is still a lot of ads in poorer countries, even though folks may not buy whatever is advertised. Not to mention ads are often segmented according to each location. While you may see a lot of hi-tech stuff in the ads shown to you, someone else may see ads for simpler stuff or even for a local supermarket chain where some random staple food item is available at a heavily discounted price.

The country my sister lives in has no ads, at least on YouTube. When she comes to visit the USA she complains that she gets ads on YouTube. Now she does live in the kind of country where very, very few people can afford a car or even ride a bus. Most people walk.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-05-2023 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary (Post 690134)
The country my sister lives in has no ads, at least on YouTube.

Where does your sister live?