EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Why didn't you pay a mechanic? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/why-didnt-you-pay-mechanic-32780.html)

Xist 09-17-2015 10:49 PM

Why didn't you pay a mechanic?

Most of my responses so far have been like this:

Quote:

thanks for the response ,im okay with the price, im from Delaware and i can't come for the pick up but i have a private shipper who ca
n pick up the item for me.i can make your payment via a certified check ,i will send it via USPS and you get it within 24hours, when y
ou have your money i will have my shipper come for the pick up .let me know if that is okay by you
and

Quote:

Actually, I will have love to come in person for proper look and pay you cash but due to nature of my work i would not be able to come, i work as a doctor at the Fort Carson military base and i live on there so i will like you to assure me that i will not be disappointed so i will like some close up pics. Also i will like to know the millage
I understood little more than that the person claimed to be a doctor. Did the doctor scribble a note that a transcriptionist could not read?

That is why I do not like long-distance numbers.

One lady contacted me through USAA and another through Craigslist. They seemed okay, but I have not heard back. One gentleman called (from a local number!) and asked where I had the work done. I told him that I replaced the head gasket myself. He asked if I was a mechanic and I said that I was not, but the estimates were expensive, so I did it myself.

"Thank you for the information. I will think about it and I might get back to you."

If someone asks me again, I will say something like "The car works perfectly and I would be happy to have the mechanic of your choice inspect it for you."

At least I should hopefully start my job soon.

Have any of you sold cars and had people not like that you did repairs yourself?

Baltothewolf 09-17-2015 10:59 PM

No receipts = It wasn't done. That's my motto and I'll always live by it. I'm not calling you personally a lier, I have just erred on the side of caution.

Xist 09-17-2015 11:18 PM

I have the receipt for the head gasket.

If the head gasket is good, then why would I lie about doing a repair when there is not any evidence that it was necessary?

Baltothewolf 09-17-2015 11:24 PM

Nono, I'm not saying YOU didn't do it, I'm telling you a lot of people think the same way I do. There are a ton of scammers out there that say they do things, but don't actually do them, trust me.

2000mc 09-18-2015 12:51 AM

I haven't ever understood how/why listing repairs helps selling a vehicle. imo, at best lets me know it may be a common problem. New battery in a hybrid/ev might be the only exception I can think of.

MetroMPG 09-18-2015 11:10 AM

I also don't list repairs in ads, but do list recent maintenance items. (Maybe head gaskets count as normal maintenance on Subies!)

Of course, if people ask, I tell 'em. But I've never had anyone ask me if I did the repairs myself.

I think your response was good: "you're welcome to have your mechanic look it over." That shows confidence in the car and your work.

When I sold the winter beater Civic this spring, the buyer's ONLY technical question about the car was, "is there anything wrong with it?"

UFO 09-18-2015 11:56 AM

From personal experience with Subarus, I steer away from "head gasket" repairs. If the gasket was replaced, that means the head(s) is warped from overheating and there are more issues coming.

I sold my Subaru only after I replaced the engine (with a used one), and I got good money for it, but I do not offer up that I was the mechanic.

Xist 09-18-2015 12:32 PM

I removed mention of the head gasket from Craigslist.

UFO, how long ago did you sell your Subaru?

I think that I will see if I can get the dealership to inspect Bacon. They would have charged me twenty dollars to do that before I started all of these repairs. I had wanted to post scans of an inspection report (and Carfax), but ran out of money.

Fat Charlie 09-18-2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 493815)
No receipts = It wasn't done.

You want receipts? I got receipts.

Adams Auto Repair Order Forms, 8.5 x 7.44 Inch, 3-Part, Carbonless, 50-Pack, White and Canary (GT3870)
$8.79 and free shipping.

user removed 09-18-2015 12:55 PM

No offense to anyone, do you buy a car that had a head gasket job done by a reputable shop? Now would you trust the person doing the job only once in a lifetime or the person who has done it hundreds of times and can provide references from people who had the same job done?

I trusted my work, and a few others work.

I might if I watched you do it 10 times with a follow up for a belt re-tension and check over.

regards
mech