Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Xarias -

Greetings everyone,

I don't remember how I stumbled onto this site. I'm not really a car guy so I'm not sure how I wound up here. But I'm also building what will be an Open Source hardware package to monitor vehicle data. I call it EM Dash but it's aimed at electric motorcycles and not cars so I'm not sure what I'd have to offer you guys other than this link I just found. I hope this hasn't been posted before.

From the website:

Xarias - Embeded AVR system for your car, based on ATMega MCU. Calculates statistics and control your car.

* calculating speed, fuel consumption, economy driving, e.t.c.
* displaying information about temperatures and controll Air Conditioning system in your car.
* controlling other devices, like electrically opened windows.

http://code.google.com/p/xarias/

There ya go. I hope that was helpful to someone.

Mike

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via AIM to Gone4
Wow! That's a great link. I didn't turn up in my quick search when the thread on making an opensource scangauge was started. With the source there we can do whatever we need with it, as long as we redistribute the code freely (GPLv3). I'm gonna go look into the chipset it runs on and how it obtains the data now.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Interesting Link mreish. I don't know that monitoring the air conditioner and controlling the windows is top on the opengauge priority list But certainly I hope we can incorporate monitoring and logging for electric vehicles. We just need to sense the voltage and current going to the motor. I'd be planning on adding it eventually.

I couldnt expand the xarias_v0.1.tar.bz2 (said it wasn't valid bz2) and I haven't committed to using SVN yet (and there was no online source browser), and didn't get anything out of the video, so I cannot speak to xarias. But help yourself to what we have in opengauge and let me know if you want to join in the fun. http://opengauge.cvs.sourceforge.net/opengauge/
Old 04-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Interesting Link mreish. I don't know that monitoring the air conditioner and controlling the windows is top on the opengauge priority list
That's an interesting idea though... My current car's a/c system is kinda stupid in that there's no temperature sensor on the evap coil. My last car (Mazda 626) would cycle the compressor on/off - which was a pretty nice thing to have in retrospect (along with oscillating air vents) Just my .o2 cents
Old 04-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
LOL, there is an optimization to be had there certainly.

Edit: Actually I did finally find realise the source link. Tons of files for what it does but I did not find the installation instructions yet.

Last edited by dcb; 04-05-2008 at 03:01 PM..
Old 04-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
I"m not lurking!

Porthos - '96 Chevrolet Cavalier
90 day: 31.3 mpg (US)
Fran over at hydrogenboost got sick of his air conditioner running constantly and adjusting the temp by mixing hot air with the cold. So he put a temperature sensor on the vent which cycles the compressor on and off. He leaves the factory temp setting on cold now, and adjusts the cabin temp with the new sensor.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
rp9
EcoModding Lurker

Hi guys. I just registered here because I see, u're discussing my project so I am glad to answer to all your questions

dcb, you couldn't extract files because there was a mistake in file extension - it was correct gzip archive, not bzip2 sorry But still most of the archivers can handle it.

What's more important - newer version v0.2 is available with better documentation. You can also take a glance at wiki pages of the project...
Old 12-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Masiniukas - '94 BMW 316i Compact
It would be nice to know if there is any progress done in documentation writing, such as installing XARIAS in the car? It is one of the most critical parts I think before one can begin assembling the board etc.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
rp9
EcoModding Lurker

You can always check wiki pages. There was some small changes. But I see that there is real need for better documentation. I'll try to extend it next weeks.

Reply  Post New Thread