EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Why don't you own an electric car? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/why-dont-you-own-electric-car-12025.html)

Ryland 01-25-2010 03:17 PM

Why don't you own an electric car?

Very few people have electric cars but why is that?
I have one and I'm not rich and it wasn't that hard to get it either, but how about the rest of you?

dcb 01-25-2010 03:20 PM

I have no good excuse. I have probably been overthinking it for much too long. It would get done a lot quicker if I just cleaned out the garage and got to cutting and welding and figuring it out as I go.

Daox 01-25-2010 03:45 PM

I voted:

They don't have the range I need - IMO this is my dumb fault that I work too far from home. But, if I spent enough for lithium it would be solved.

What are you talking about? I already own one or more electric vehicles. - Since I did convert my riding mower to electric as a starter project. Maybe the next one will be a road legal vehicle. :)

robbiewt 01-25-2010 04:15 PM

I would love one. Currently I can handle most of my local trips on foot. I'll take my car to the grocery store when I know I'm getting more than my arms can handle. Maybe I should see if the store is willing to sell an old shopping cart.

The rest of my trips are long distance and/or all day.

TomO 01-25-2010 04:17 PM

I already own/maintain an electric golf cart. That thing costs about $600 every 5 years in batteries alone. And I live in MN where electric cars aren't really practical in the winter time.

Christ 01-25-2010 04:21 PM

Can't afford one. Unless you can find a decently working one near me that might need work and is on the road (registration and title included) for under $1000, and still has at least 30 miles range, and even then, at this particular point in my life, I can't afford it.

Tweety 01-25-2010 04:25 PM

I voted 1,3 & 4... Since there are no option for "Because the stupid manufacturers can't make an EV without overengineering it to the n'th degree"

And hence why my first EV will be a purely DIY effort... Take a normal small car... Chuck out all unnecessary stuff + ICE... Put in batteries and electric motor... Done... Even GM, Ford and the likes could figure that out... They just didn't want to build it...

Dave's Civic Duty 01-25-2010 04:27 PM

I personally would love to get off the grid. My wife & I despise the electric company. I am not going to add to the cost of my monthly electric bill. We got rid of the gas company by heating with wood. We mostly use downed trees off of our property.

I need to get more solar & wind savy.

Dave

captainslug 01-25-2010 04:35 PM

Unless there are some significant changes to the available battery options, electric vehicles simply will continue to not be even remotely competitive in price compared to gasoline powered vehicles.
They cost anywhere from 3 to 4 times more per mile to operate. Despite being mechanically simpler, the energy storage medium is currently too expensive.

cfg83 01-25-2010 04:36 PM

Ryland -

I voted range, but price is probably the second reason. Back in the 1990's my job was 5 minutes from home but school was 15 miles away. The idea of "leasing" an EV1 was too costly to me, so I never considered it. Anyway, I've always driven a lot to get stuff done, so range has been and always will be a factor for me.

CarloSW2