EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Why someone ISN'T going to buy a Chevy Volt (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/why-someone-isnt-going-buy-chevy-volt-12805.html)

bennelson 03-31-2010 09:42 AM

Why someone ISN'T going to buy a Chevy Volt

A friend of mine recently got a chance to test drive a Chevy Volt, and said that he "didn't see one in my future."

When EVERYONE asked why, he replied on an e-mailing list about how the vehicle seemed to be designed by committee, and that there was too much technology between the driver and the road.

It was the first review that I have heard that really talked about how somebody FELT about the vehicle, instead of being just a long list of specs.

I asked for his permission to reprint his words on my blog so head over there to find out Why a Chevy Volt isn't for him.

gone-ot 03-31-2010 10:23 AM

...I'm an EE who constantly works with computer systems, but I too have to agree, there's "...too damn much "gimmickry" in today's automotive cockpits..." Reminds me of a wanna-be airplane cockpit, not a transportation dash panel with real, useful, informative gauges!

RobertSmalls 03-31-2010 10:54 AM

I have a negative emotional reaction to the years worth of marketing gimmickry surrounding this PHEV, and the tax credit tailored to its specifications, and the EPA rating system for plug-in cars. I'm allergic to hype and government corruption. Therefore, the Volt has a large, uphill battle before it can win me over.

Plus, the "sedan" bodystyle is foolish. Give me a hatchback or a streamlined body, or I'm not interested.

jkp1187 03-31-2010 10:58 AM

I actually like the concept of the Chevy Volt, and think it's a good one, technically speaking. I even like how the car looks, generally. But (a) I don't know whether or not it's worth $30K+ and (b) I really don't want to buy anything from The General anymore. So there probably isn't one in my future, either.

MPaulHolmes 03-31-2010 11:01 AM

My $50,000 phev (isn't that what the volt is up to now?) comes in the form of a $2000 EV and $5,000 Kia Spectra. The spectra gets about the same mileage as the volt once it has switched to gas. Now, it's true that I have to switch cars when I want to drive a long ways, but for $43,000 I'll take the inconvenience.

jkp1187 03-31-2010 11:02 AM

Regarding what your friend said here:

Quote:

Yes the motor only inputs electric,
making this fit the pattern of an EV and not a Hybrid, but the source of the
power changes from a green source (stored batteries) to a standard co2
emitting pollution source (a much too big 4 cylinder engine). This I can
assume appeases the oil companies and gives them a vale of respectability in
the process?!
I think that's a little unfair -- my understanding was that GM took an off-the-shelf 4-cyl engine (from the Cruze, I think?) because that way it could shorten development time keep costs down.

cfg83 03-31-2010 11:54 AM

Old Tele man -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 168551)
...I'm an EE who constantly works with computer systems, but I too have to agree, there's "...too damn much "gimmickry" in today's automotive cockpits..." Reminds me of a wanna-be airplane cockpit, not a transportation dash panel with real, useful, informative gauges!

Yeah, I'm becoming a "they don't make them like they used to" fellow. And "used to" is 1996 to early 2000's, :eek: .

I do wish I had pilot gauges, though. I want a gauge for every ScanGauge instant gauge I display. I think Ecomodders actually *use* every gauge they have, and my old car makes me more paranoid to know what's going on.

The article was ok. It was really a general dislike of modern cars, which I can understand. You could exchange "Volt" for "Prius" in a lot of places and the article would read the same.

CarloSW2

Nevyn 03-31-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkp1187 (Post 168562)
Regarding what your friend said here:

I think that's a little unfair -- my understanding was that GM took an off-the-shelf 4-cyl engine (from the Cruze, I think?) because that way it could shorten development time keep costs down.

Not to be unfair in another direction, but haven't they been "developing" the Volt for like 4 years now? Is the Cruze that old?:thumbup:

Daox 03-31-2010 12:02 PM

The Cruze has been around for a while, just not in the US.

gone-ot 03-31-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 168577)
The Cruze has been around for a while, just not in the US.

...the Cruze began life in 2008 as the Daewoo Lacetti Premiere (also the Holden Cruze), which means they've had 3 years to "hype" it as a brand-new car for USA.

...WTF? 3 years to move the steering wheel from right to left?