EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Window tint (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/window-tint-14127.html)

Piwoslaw 08-06-2010 03:01 AM

Window tint

Does tinting windows really reduce the temperature inside the car?

I'm looking into ways to keep the heat out of the car and window tint is the option that shows up most often. I took a moment to think about it and here's what I got:

A reflective coating on the window would physically reduce the amount of light/heat entering the glass, but not so with normal window tint. The darker color absorbs more light/heat than normal glass, so less makes its way directly into the car. But where does that energy go? It gets radiated as heat on both sides of the glass, in particular into the car.

So what am I getting wrong?

gone-ot 08-06-2010 11:21 AM

...I can empirically answer: "Yes"

...anything that contributes to keeping solar rays from getting 'into' the car interior means there's less work for the A/C to do in cooling the air.

...an empirical example is when you drive under a cloud shadow on a hot day and the A/C suddenly "seems" to work better...it's the same A/C unit, only the solar loading (through the windows) has changed.

Arragonis 08-06-2010 03:04 PM

Are you looking to tint the windscreen ? Just wondering as it is the biggest window in the car - look at your avatar - the profile pic of your 307 and look how long the windscreen is.

The problem is that windscreen tinting can be illegal in some places for safety - police in the UK don't like it at all.

Maybe one of those beach sun reflector type things might help there though ?

Clev 08-06-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 187420)
...I can empirically answer: "Yes"

...anything that contributes to keeping solar rays from getting 'into' the car interior means there's less work for the A/C to do in cooling the air.

...an empirical example is when you drive under a cloud shadow on a hot day and the A/C suddenly "seems" to work better...it's the same A/C unit, only the solar loading (through the windows) has changed.

Wouldn't it be better to leave the windows clear and have the rays bounce back off the light-colored interior and back out of the car, rather than having a black non-reflective coating on the windows that simply absorbs the rays and turns them into heat?

Daox 08-06-2010 05:02 PM

Check this thread out:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...load-8617.html

Clev 08-06-2010 06:02 PM

"Tint" referred to low-e glazing in the attached story. Not exactly black stick-on plastic.

busypaws 08-06-2010 06:59 PM

I live in Tucson AZ. (Like Oldteleman) And everything we have is tinted (except the windshield). Comming out after sitting a long time in the sun it might still be 150F instead of 160F inside the car. (In the summer I keep a couple of paper towels that I use to grab the seat belt otherwise you can get first degree burns on metal parts of the belt.
However the real help is while driving. The A/C can cool the cabin better if the windows are tinted.
So my answer is: Tinting only helps "soak" temperature a little but helps total heat load on A/C a lot.

mcrews 08-08-2010 06:38 AM

I just ran 1750 miles from sacramento ca to dallas tx. July 13-29 and back. I have tint installed at the legal limits for ca. I ADDED GILA(brand name) window FILM BLACK (peel and cling). to all the windows (except the front). I put a 9 inch strip across the top on the front. I can tell you that when I made a short stop, like for a potty break, I would come back to a car that was still cool. THat never happened in CA.
Understand I was basicly at 95% block. BUT man what a difference it made.
The GILA product is intended for house windows so the clarity was not what auto tint would be. But it was inexpensive, and very easy to install and temporary.
I have always tinted my cars and it does make a difference. Also, there is a difference between tint and film. And in the automotive line of products, there are basic tint and then a better product that was a metalic feature (I'm blanking on the brand) THe metalic product is the best BUT it can block gps signals. So if you have factory GPS, let your installer know.
Also almost ALL the automotive products block 99% uv rays regaudless of the % of tinting. YOu can actually get a clear that is 99% uv block.
Most of the upscale cars, I know mercedes and infiniti for sure, have a reflective quality on the glass that is installed already to keep the cars cooler. Mercedes tend to have a sight blue look to them from the factory.

Clev 08-08-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 187766)
I just ran 1750 miles from sacramento ca to dallas tx. July 13-29 and back. I have tint installed at the legal limits for ca. I ADDED GILA(brand name) window FILM BLACK (peel and cling). to all the windows (except the front). I put a 9 inch strip across the top on the front. I can tell you that when I made a short stop, like for a potty break, I would come back to a car that was still cool. THat never happened in CA.
Understand I was basicly at 95% block. BUT man what a difference it made.
The GILA product is intended for house windows so the clarity was not what auto tint would be. But it was inexpensive, and very easy to install and temporary.
I have always tinted my cars and it does make a difference. Also, there is a difference between tint and film. And in the automotive line of products, there are basic tint and then a better product that was a metalic feature (I'm blanking on the brand) THe metalic product is the best BUT it can block gps signals. So if you have factory GPS, let your installer know.
Also almost ALL the automotive products block 99% uv rays regaudless of the % of tinting. YOu can actually get a clear that is 99% uv block.
Most of the upscale cars, I know mercedes and infiniti for sure, have a reflective quality on the glass that is installed already to keep the cars cooler. Mercedes tend to have a sight blue look to them from the factory.

There are so many disadvantages to film, I'll wait for actual A-B-A testing before deciding.

Now if only they'd sell Low-E replacement windshields... I'd pay extra for that.

mcrews 08-08-2010 09:30 PM

There are so many disadvantages to film, I'll wait for actual A-B-A testing before deciding.

Wow, what could "so many" possibly be??
I have been having my cars tinted for 20 yrs....probably 8 cars .......and never had a problem.