EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Wish me luck! (getting 2001 Prius w/ 109k mi.) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/wish-me-luck-getting-2001-prius-w-109k-26178.html)

elhigh 06-18-2013 08:14 PM

Wish me luck! (getting 2001 Prius w/ 109k mi.)

(UPDATE: deal cancelled)
Well, I pulled the trigger today.

I've been getting pretty good miles on the truck as a DD, but one boy has a job, the other is actively looking, and both go back to school (two different ones) in the fall. Gotta have another ride.

Today I signed papers on a 2001 Prius. About $5400 out the door, not too bad. Only about 109,000 miles on the clock. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow.

This is the other kind of economizing: making the most of what uses the least. Since Sweetie and I ride to work together, to jobs not even a mile apart at the end of a 22.3 mile commute, it makes sense that we take the little sipper. Kids are looking at jobs close to home, and even the guzzling Forester could go three weeks on a tank if the kid's ride to work is only five miles each way.

(Does some math)

Actually, the kid could probably go about five weeks. Dang.

So anyhoo, I'll start doing some stuff, especially the things I saw Orange4boy doing with his comparable ride, Chewie. If my math is right, this thing could actually save its purchase cost in avoided fuel costs in about six years.

mcrews 06-18-2013 08:53 PM

Way to go!!!
Welcome!

Air up the tires in all the rides to 40+ !!!

MetroMPG 06-19-2013 11:40 AM

(mcrews: check the user info; elhigh is a long-time member. :) )

---

Congrats! Have you driven these things before?

I drove a first gen Prius as soon as they showed up at the dealer (being upfront with the sales guy on a quiet day that I had zero intention of buying it). EV mode and engine-off coasting on demand, just by wiggling my right foot, hooked me instantly. Hugely fun car to a nerd like me! (I can trace a direct line from that first city block of EV mode in the Prius to Project ForkenSwift.)

I got a chance to meet Orange4boy and see his Prius this winter. Good footsteps to follow.

Looking forward to updates!

mcrews 06-19-2013 03:22 PM

my bad!

elhigh 06-20-2013 08:45 AM

Spoke too soon!!

Bank said "no way."

Loan officer said something about "NADA is close to 100%," and I don't know WTF that means. I'm more-or-less not upset about this, but just a tad cheesed she first says I'm "pre-approved" and then turns around and says, effectively, just not for this car. Or certain others, evidently. The criteria aren't immediately clear, and she's hard to keep on the phone long enough to find out what their criteria are.

Dammit, I haven't bought a car in forever, how am I supposed to keep up with all this crap?

Fortunately, not having taken possession, cancellation was a snap: a few phone calls and it's all over. The dealer was no problem.

I could just about buy the thing outright for cash, but I also took the car's VIN and dropped it into Toyota's owners' support website, and some distressing stuff popped up. The traction battery has already been replaced once, and was almost replaced a second time. THAT, more than anything, makes me not mind the bank putting its foot down. If it's a lemon, or a near-lemon, a Prius goes waaaay beyond my comprehension, so I'd rather have one in good shape than one that's got some dodgy issues.

<goes back to sanding profile into smooth wheel discs for truck>

MetroMPG 06-20-2013 09:17 AM

Maybe a blessing in disguise.

Carry on sanding!

rmay635703 06-20-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 377120)
Bank said "no way."

Loan officer said something about "NADA is close to 100%," and I don't know WTF that means. I'm more-or-less not upset about this, but just a tad cheesed she first says I'm "pre-approved" and then turns around and says, effectively, just not for this car. Or certain others, evidently. The criteria aren't immediately clear, and she's hard to keep on the phone long enough to find out what their criteria are.

If it's a lemon, or a near-lemon, a Prius goes waaaay beyond my comprehension, so I'd rather have one in good shape than one that's got some dodgy issues.

<goes back to sanding profile into smooth wheel discs for truck>

NADA is a book of resale values, you could use this "opportunity" to tell the dealer that the bank won't lend you the money because they say he is asking too much for the car.

Flakbadger 06-20-2013 11:16 AM

I know I shamelessly plug the Toyota Yaris, but you might consider one. I beat the Priuses on Fuelly in mine (granted, not the best fuel-efficiency drivers around), and almost-new it cost me ~$13k. Great value for the money.

Whatever you get, good luck. Car buying sucks.

PressEnter[] 06-20-2013 11:26 AM

Just take the Yaris on a good test drive first. I did an 1800 mile road trip in one earlier this year, and it was the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever been in.

Flakbadger 06-20-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PressEnter[] (Post 377154)
Just take the Yaris on a good test drive first. I did an 1800 mile road trip in one earlier this year, and it was the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever been in.

I did forget about that, I am 5'8" and I fit really well. Too much taller than that, you might not be comfortable. My dad (same height) can't seem to get comfortable in it.