EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Worst case mileage scenario (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/worst-case-mileage-scenario-33077.html)

ConnClark 11-13-2015 01:48 PM

Worst case mileage scenario

I got stuck in a traffic jam yesterday going up hill. I got to watch as my trip mileage dropped from 19mpg(cold engine) down to 14.5mpg. Unfortunately there was an accident that had shut down an intersection to just one car at a time and I had to go through it to get to where I was going.

Anybody had a worse situation?

ksa8907 11-13-2015 06:07 PM

Traffic always causes the problems for me. More often it is traffic combined with lights that kill my mileage.

jamesqf 11-13-2015 06:12 PM

Why do you leave your engine running when you're not moving?

doviatt 11-13-2015 06:40 PM

The worst tank ever in my car was the time I let my wife drive it. We went on a camping trip to Southern Utah. I took her car with the gear and kids. She drove down after work. I think she said she reached speeds I thought were unobtainable in a 1L engine.:eek:
Coincidentally I think the best tank on her car was that same weekend when I drove hers. ;)

ConnClark 11-13-2015 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 499342)
Why do you leave your engine running when you're not moving?

Because it wasn't long pauses, just short pauses and short travels forward. Also sopping and starting the engine 20 times doesn't do wonders for the starter.

jamesqf 11-14-2015 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConnClark (Post 499350)
Also sopping and starting the engine 20 times doesn't do wonders for the starter.

Humm... For a conservative estimate, a typical car might get started twice a day. So 700 starts per year, 7000 in a 10-year lifetime, means those 20 starts would add 0.3% to starter wear.

From a quick search, seems a rebuilt starter might cost around $40, so the hypothetical additional wear is about 11 cents, or 0.04 gallons of gas at $2.50/gal.

ConnClark 11-14-2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 499402)
Humm... For a conservative estimate, a typical car might get started twice a day. So 700 starts per year, 7000 in a 10-year lifetime, means those 20 starts would add 0.3% to starter wear.

From a quick search, seems a rebuilt starter might cost around $40, so the hypothetical additional wear is about 11 cents, or 0.04 gallons of gas at $2.50/gal.

Repeated quick use of the starter will heat it. Thus accelerating wear.

Additionally there is work required by the alternator to recharge the battery each start and wear on the battery that also should be considered.

Piwoslaw 11-14-2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConnClark (Post 499312)
Anybody had a worse situation?

Many winters ago Mrs P and I took newly acquired Svietlana for her first long distance trip to the mountains. For the first 2/3 of the way the weather was great (dry and relatively warm) and the going was smooth. Then it not only got dark, but the fog got so thick that we slowed to a crawl. Of course, without seeing what is ahead there was no way to plan pulses or coasting:( When the snow started, it really started. As if putting chains on the tires didn't kill the FE enough, then a frozen hand brake finished it off:(

ConnClark 11-14-2015 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 499410)
Many winters ago Mrs P and I took newly acquired Svietlana for her first long distance trip to the mountains. For the first 2/3 of the way the weather was great (dry and relatively warm) and the going was smooth. Then it not only got dark, but the fog got so thick that we slowed to a crawl. Of course, without seeing what is ahead there was no way to plan pulses or coasting:( When the snow started, it really started. As if putting chains on the tires didn't kill the FE enough, then a frozen hand brake finished it off:(

We have a winner so to speak

2000mc 11-14-2015 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 499402)
From a quick search, seems a rebuilt starter might cost around $40

Where do you buy your starters?