Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

V-strom 650 - '07 Suzuki DL-650 V-strom
90 day: 55.03 mpg (US)

07 Focus ZXW - '07 Ford Focus ZXW SE
90 day: 30.09 mpg (US)
"New" 2007 Ford Focus Wagon

Guys, I'm super excited.

I had been driving a 1998 Chevrolet Metro five speed hatchback. Needing more room -- and four doors, I narrowed down my choices to a Ford Focus wagon, stick shift with sunroof -- which some of you might know, isn't a common configuration for the car. 8% of the Focus' were wagons, and of those only 10% were stick. I really wanted a sunroof, but was thinking it would too hard to find a wagon with stick and roof.

At the beginning of the month I came across an 07 ZXW SE with 13,000 miles (Autotrader.com), not too far from me -- with a five speed transmission, sunroof, perimeter alarm, abs and side airbags. Focus wagons were the first model deleted before the changeover to 2008 models, and were only made until mid 2007 -- 07 wagons are more rare, as are models with stick shift and sunroof -- the extra equipment makes this an even more unusual configuration.

Likewise, the wagon is a PZEV model -- partial zero emissions vehicle. These were sold in several states, including NY, where I picked up mine. Having a PZEV is a straightforward way of reducing a car's carbon footprint, short of a hybrid or fully electric vehicle. The category came into being to placate automakers dreading the impending California ZEV mandate that eventually didn't materialize.

Either way, without extreme hypermiling, I've been able to get the mileage I'd hoped for: 34-40mpg. I watch my acceleration, speed, AC usage, and sometimes but rarely I'll cut off the ignition when a light turns red just as I pull up to it. I am a dedicated 'coaster.'

So after 1500 miles, I'm averaging 38 -- I suspect my daily drive routine will return around my low figure of 34.

The Focus is comfortable, with high seating and lots of room -- and very fun to drive. The car received a lot of accolades at introduction for a class-leading independent rear suspension -- and the car lives up to its reputation.

And while the Focus isn't generally well regarded for it's mileage, I suspected that a manual transmission model would do just fine -- as others here have demonstrated with Aveo's etc.

I don't find I have to sacrifice much to get the mileage, I've reduced my carbon footprint, and the Focus is about as big a little car as you could have!

Thanks again for all the great info on the site!

Last edited by akcapeco; 07-01-2009 at 10:05 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,

Two things I would strongly suggest: get a ScanGauge II and do an upper grill block. Oh, and pump up the tires to the sidewall max -- increased coasting helps immensely. My wife had a 2000 Focus wagon with the 1.8L ZTEC and four speed automatic. You are off to a very good start!

The Focus wagon is a quite roomy car -- we went on a 2-week tent camping trip with our two kids, with just a Thule on the roof, and we still managed ~32mpg for the trip. Watch out for a leaky rear license plate light -- if this shorts, it takes out the headlights. Also, check on any recalls -- yours is a lot newer than my wife's but it can't hurt to ask.

Is any of the roof rack removable?

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 07-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

V-strom 650 - '07 Suzuki DL-650 V-strom
90 day: 55.03 mpg (US)

07 Focus ZXW - '07 Ford Focus ZXW SE
90 day: 30.09 mpg (US)
Interestingly, Ford changed something in the 06 and 07 models to increase fuel mileage -- a lot of anecdotal information confirms that these two models years of the original body style do get better mileage than earlier examples.

From the factory, the crossbars were optional; they're very removable.

The rack itself isn't designed to be removed, per se -- but over on focusfanatics.com there are numerous threads about removing
the rack, more for aesthetic reasons than efficiency.

It can be done -- holes must be plugged, headliner messed with, etc.

Reply  Post New Thread