EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Would a modern car with drum brakes all-around still have a chance? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/would-modern-car-drum-brakes-all-around-still-39575.html)

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-13-2021 08:37 PM

Would a modern car with drum brakes all-around still have a chance?

I'm sure most people have already been totally convinced that disc brakes may be inherently "superior", even though economy cars and some trucks still resort to drum brakes at the rear-end. But it's worth consider how drum brakes retain a foothold on the heavy-duty truck market, even though it's most noticeable on models meant to feature off-road capability.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-R4zc0yl1S...madeireiro.jpg

Among the reasons why I still see a lot of trucks with drum brakes all-around is they're often pointed out to be less prone to have its friction surfaces in contact with contaminants, which is a common issue on most rural environments. Then it turns out to question the suitability of all-around drum brakes for an economy car, considering not only the manufacturing cost which is still usually lower for a drum brake but also that not every farmer in countries such as mine may afford a medium-duty 4WD truck for instance.

Piotrsko 07-14-2021 10:11 AM

Well the truck brakes are massive, almost filling the offset area of a 20" rim and sticking out from the rim.. You also downshift for hill descent which cars typically don't do as well as being more aware of traffic and driving slower. OTOH, my daughter is complaining to KIA about her rear discs making noise after driving on a dirt road.

I would think that truck discs would be bigger and heavier than the equivalent drum brake

jakobnev 07-14-2021 10:34 AM

Maybe cheap electric cars will bring back four wheel drums.

rmay635703 07-14-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobnev (Post 652516)

Actually expensive electric cars are pushing for high performance drum brakes due to the ease of eliminating brake drag
, there are “supposedly” other benefits as well but maintenance sucks, so there is that.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-14-2021 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobnev (Post 652516)

Either hybrids or full-EVs can be OK with drum brakes as they do regenerative braking.

JSH 07-17-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 652550)
Either hybrids or full-EVs can be OK with drum brakes as they do regenerative braking.

The VW ID series has drum rear brakes because it is RWD and the electric motor does the vast majority of braking. Drums also make a parking brake easier.

However, plenty of reviews of the car dinged it for having "cheap" drum brakes without looking into the engineering reasons why.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-18-2021 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 652671)
Drums also make a parking brake easier

No wonder the drum-in-hat parking brake layout is so common among cars with disc brakes all-around.

Quote:

plenty of reviews of the car dinged it for having "cheap" drum brakes without looking into the engineering reasons why
Even though some reviewers do have a decent knowledge base, it seems like they try to behave much like they would expect Average Joe to do, including such disregard to a simpler technical approach when something else fancier is available in a comparable product from some other manufacturer.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 09-02-2021 01:12 AM

Recently I had a talk with a friend who worked for a while at the Brazilian branch of Scania, and he is still more favorable to drum brakes on heavy-duty trucks.

Piotrsko 09-02-2021 10:17 AM

The only down side to drum brakes that I know of is dumping the friction heat on twisty roads or long downhills. I know of big rigs water spray cooling on the drums, but that is frowned upon.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 09-02-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko (Post 655161)
The only down side to drum brakes that I know of is dumping the friction heat on twisty roads or long downhills.

The fitment of engine-braking devices and some transmission-mounted braking retarders (either electro-mechanical or hydraulic) may compensate at least a little of the burden which would otherwise be on the brakes.

Quote:

I know of big rigs water spray cooling on the drums, but that is frowned upon.
I have never seen any water spray cooling of the drums on any big rig in my country.